Guest viewing is limited

TKR Anniefannie's 2nd TKR recovery

I did nap on my side until I built up the tolerance to sleep at least a couple of hours at night.
 
Hi Annie, :wave:
As a side sleeper, what helped me get comfortable on my back was bed pillows. Many bed pillows of different weights / firmness and lengths. I had a couple inexpensive body pillows purchased at Target in my pillow arsenal also. Surrounding myself with the pillows gave me the option to rest a leg or arm on one and I also felt somewhat swaddled as I kept them close. It really helped me a lot. I hope sleep improves for you soon! :yawn::sleep:
@Anniefannie
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Wishing you some restorative rest, ON YOUR SIDE, soon! :wink:
A wonderful week to you, Anniefannie! :wave:
@Anniefannie
 
I’m at 4 weeks post surgery now and it still hurts at night when my blanket touches my knee. Does anyone have any suggestions
I am at 4 weeks also, and have that very tenderness on my right knee...first off...I use pain cream...I used it before surgery and I use it now. I keep away from the scar, but it really helps takes those little needles out of that sting. I also use it when the muscles get rough on the hamstring...takes the edge off for sure. But mostly for the night mess, I've discovered that icing is the key...I have 3 wraps and during the night when I wake up and feel the annoyance...I use the wraps and and can even sleep on my side with them...I will keep them on all night if necessary . It really does help with sleep.
 
I’m eight weeks post tKR. I went to PT Monday and did 20 mini squats for the first time. Now both knees are so terribly sore. I also stopped 200mg daily Celebrdx Monday. I don’t know if the soreness is from stopping the medication or the mini squats, but I am miserable. I’m thinking of stopping the formal PT. Any advice ?
 
@Anniefannie It is probably a combination of both, but mostly the mini squats. It’s far too early for squats, especially 20 at one time. Basically we do a squat, any time we sit down on a chair. Then we stay there a while, get up, move around, until we sit again. This is what I call “Natural PT.”

You are still in healing mode, not training for an athletic event.

If I ever do another joint replacement, I will take the gentle, natural route over formal PT.

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?


Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:
 
Thank you so much. I’m so sorry but I couldn’t figure how to find my thread and also where to post a new post. I won’t do squats yet. I think it must be the squats because both knees are sore. Thanks so much for your advice.
 
Good to see you, @Anniefannie! I agree that it's probably the squats. You aren't even a full two months post-op, so it's easy to push into pain by overdoing even a little.

I know you've seen this chart before, but here's a reminder of how long it takes to heal:

1652123217285.png
 
Hi! I agree that at 8 weeks reps and sets of semi quats are too much.

In general, whatever exercises I felt were worth doing, I never did reps and sets - it was always a risk of overdoing - I would do a few, like 6 or 8 max, randomly through the day.

I went into my surgeries with good fitness and flexibility.

I went off the elevated toilet seat before 4 weeks, so was naturally doing deeper half squats at intervals daily. I felt ok resuming cat litter scooping at 6 weeks but that was just another three deeper semi squats a day!

Other relevant milestones:
10 weeks: a stay in the ODIC and gave myself permission to reduce activity and stay on a plateau for a while!

12 weeks: walked 3/4 mile non stop and on non-walking days started gardening and house chores that required repeated semi-squats.

3 months: walking a mile nonstop or doing 15 minutes of yardwork and my knee lost interest in icing except if I slightly overdid it (put away the Breg and just started using an ice pack).

15 weeks: 1.8 miles non stop or 1/2 hour of yardwork.
 
You figure the physical therapist should know what’s best but they should consider also my age. I’m 77 but fit. I’m so afraid now to do the squats. I go back on Monday and i’m considering stopping the PT and just do exercises and walking on my own. Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.
 
There are a lot of different opinions among PTs and even the surgeons, about rehab. Many of them literally don’t have a clue. Or they believe in “no pain, no gain” or they treat us like we’re training for a big athletic event.
I’m 77 but fit
Do your rehab your way and you’ll be just fine. Some of our members never even went to formal PT and they did just fine, and some even better, because they were never given inappropriate things to do for their particular stage of recovery.

I had some rather aggressive things done to me in my early weeks by my PT and I was compliant because I didn’t know any better. Now I do know better and if I do this again, the recovery and rehab will go much differently!
 
Thank you so much. I’m so sorry but I couldn’t figure how to find my thread and also where to post a new post. I won’t do squats yet. I think it must be the squats because both knees are sore. Thanks so much for your advice.
I should have known better. I’ve been through this before but the thing is that it wasn’t hurting as I was doing the squats so I figured it would be ok. Live and learn.
 
I'm one of those that never did any formal PT, just normal daily activities as my knee allowed me to do. I have had a good recovery without all the pain, swelling and stress of formal PT. Your knee knows how to recover itself. Doing too much too soon can cause setbacks in recovery. Slow and easy wins this recovery race!
 
I should have known better. I’ve been through this before
Don't blame yourself. Every knee is different, even two knees in the same person. What's important is to listen to your body -- as you are doing. I hope the knees are feeling better now that you've stopped doing the squats.
 
To give you hope, I’m at 11 weeks post op Rt tkr and want to tell you that I’m feeling much better. I’m sleeping on my side again and getting seven hours sleep, I’m down to almost no pain at all, I only take Advils once in a while. I’m so happy I had the surgery done and that it’s behind me and i can have a quality of life again. I just want you to know that you must hang on and be patient. You will get to the point that i’m at. You won’t be sorry. Just hang on and push through. You can do it and you will look back and say I did it!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Annie!
Thanks for the encouraging and inspirational post you left above. You're doing great!
I hope you're enjoying the Summer. Take Care. :)
@Anniefannie
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom