THR Annalise's New Hip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@fulafoto, those are called Knowles pins. We used them a lot in the 70s!


What is the A/O system?
AO stands for Arbeitsgemeinschaft für Osteosynthesefragen - which I can actually pronounce! My only words of German! In English is just means Association for the Study of Internal Fixation, more commonly just known as ASIF.

It's the design your screws were made to! All fracture stuff was made in that way. It was developed by the Swiss who had oodles of experience patching up skiers from all over the world! You can read about it here broken link removed: https://aotrauma.aofoundation.org/Structure/about/Pages/about.aspx If you look at the history link you can see how it all came about. And I also met these guys who started it all Professor Maurice E. Müller, Professor Hans Willenegger and Professor Martin Allgöwer.

In case you're interested, your screws are called 'lag' screws simply meaning there is a lag or space between the head and the thread. They are standard screws, 6.5mm in diameter with 16mm of thread!
 
That really is interesting! I really like like stuff like that. I bet there's been a whole progression of styles of all the hardware. It's amazing to think of how tiny changes in the shape or material of these implants can have such a significant effect on how well they function.
 
So, it's been at least 2 years since I've had a cold, so of course I get one now, while I'm recovering. It's not that horrible, but it's making me a bit more dopey than it normally would - probably the pain meds have more of an effect while I'm down or something.
Anyway, is this something I should notify someone about? Or just see how it goes and ride it out?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Annalise's New Hip!
@anna127, only thing to do is tough it out. Your cold will have no effect on your hip, so you have no need to worry about infection. Just makes recovery a bit more miserable 'til it's over.

Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Annalise's New Hip!
 
Thanks @bottomshollow - I sort of figured I'd just have to tough it out! Luckily it's already starting to get better. Talk about bad timing...
 
Thought I'd upload a picture of the 'angle blade plate' that's been in my hip for the last 15 or so years. Picked it up from the hospital's pathology lab - it's surprisingly heavy! Also today I got to see a radiograph for the first time of my brand new shiny hip in situ - out with the old, in with the new!

[Bonesmart.org] Annalise's New Hip!
[Bonesmart.org] Annalise's New Hip!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom