TKR Anna46's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're doing great! At this point (and actually through the whole recovery adventure) the main thing to remember is the knee is the boss. And the boss is injured and cranky and needs to be appeased to avoid meltdowns. :heehee:

If you're sleeping 4 hours at a stretch, believe it or not, that's not bad at this point. I told myself that overnight was a 2 nap period. I'd inevitably wake up after 3 or 4 hours, get up and read or watch a little tv and then go back to bed for a few more hours. Naps :zzz: were definitely part of my day for quite a while.
Gradually the sleep patterns improve.
 
Thanks for your post on sleep deprivation. While I am aware of some of these factors, it helps to be reminded. My PT keeps telling me this is a tough surgery and it takes a toll on the body as with any surgery and with time everything returns back to normal.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks for the encouragement. I play musical beds, sofas and chairs almost every night just trying to sleep. I am thankful for the four hours I am getting now and know it will increase as time goes by. My knee just gets so stiff and achy, it is difficult to move after a few hours of sleep. I am just 4 weeks out and know it is too soon to expect more.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I average about 5 hours per night or do, tend to wake up about 3 hours after l first go to sleep, read for a bit then doze off again. You're only a few days behind me so we're probably going through the same experience, it does get better but we just have to be patient, which in my case is not an easy thing to do, lol.
 
Yesterday, I had to take my Mother to District Court for the probation of my Father's will as he died in January. The County Courthouse is over one hundred years old and even though it has been refurbished to it's original state and is now a Texas State historical building, it has a poor design for the handicapped. We had to climb several steps and walk quite a distance to reach the ramp. At least, there was an elevator. Then, we had to go back down the ramp and go across the street to file the orders. Needless to say, I paid for that trip last night and today!! I am four weeks and 2 days out and my knee felt like it did with the torn meniscus and the arthroscopic surgery I had last year plus my incision was hot and red. I was up the entire night icing and elevating my leg. I have continued to ice and even though it is some better, my PT decided not to exercise it since it was so irritated. He told me to rest it and continue to ice over the weekend. I am hoping I can begin to build my stamina and strength in that leg and start doing more without the pain.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You're doing the correct thing in icing and elevating. Make sure you take your pain meds regularly too
 
Thanks for your support, Catsmum. I had to stop all pain meds other than extra strength Tylenol due to migraines. However, I am still taking Celebrex and A blood thinner. I know I get a little nervous when I begin to have pain since I have had so little pain throughout the TKR. My PT reassured me the pain is coming from the soft tissue around the joint that gets irritated and inflamed during the healing process when it is overused. I am just wondering how long will it take this tissue to finally stop being


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I was up the entire night icing and elevating my leg. I have continued to ice and even though it is some better, my PT decided not to exercise it since it was so irritated. He told me to rest it and continue to ice over the weekend. I am hoping I can begin to build my stamina and strength in that leg and start doing more without the pain.
@anna46
You're doing very well, but I'm sorry you had to go through this. I guess it was unavoidable, though, as probably no one else could take your mother. You inadvertently joined the Over Did It Club (#ODIC).
You're doing the right thing by resting, icing and elevating your poor knee.

I'm glad to hear that your PT made a sensible decision, too.

As for stamina and strength, that will only come with time. Recovery from a knee replacement is a long, and often tedious, journey. It takes as long as it takes for your knee to recover, and nothing you do can speed up the process. You can slow it down by consistently overdoing things, and that is why your PT was correct not to exercise your knee when it was already inflamed.

You will still be experiencing the energy drain to the rest of your body, as your knee demands most of your energy. This article explains it:
Energy drain for TKRs
 
Celle, thanks for that great article on energy drain. That makes much sense as to why our energy levels dwindle so quickly. It also explains that total exhausted feeling in the core area. I think, because I have done so well in all other areas, I keep expecting more strength and less tiredness. My PT was just telling me what a HUGE surgery this is and that it takes time!! I am used to getting things done and it is hard to just stop..although, I have only been out of my home and two occasions. I do not want to do anything to cause my procedure not to turn out well. I will continue to follow instructions and look forward to getting stronger.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Anna, it will get better. You are doing the right things. The energy drain at 4-5 weeks is still tremendous. It will gradually improve. My doctor told me at my six week check up that I would feel 100% better the next time I saw him. I'm due to see him next week, and I think he was right. I have a long way to go, but it's become little things now.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
you all seem to have so much more contact with your surgeons in the States! I haven't seen mine since the day of surgery and am not due to see him until April next year.
 
@puppywalker , apparently there's a "package deal" from insurance companies that includes specific follow up visits. Check out the pinned note about Medicare changes in the pre-op section to learn more. Since Medicare is the Big Dog in the U.S., many insurance companies follow those guidelines, which, apparently, keeps things easier for them (someone has to know the ins and outs of all the paperwork, so keeping it the same helps that person, ultimately helping the patient).


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
I am now 5 weeks out and still doing well with PT. in fact, today is my last day of therapy and he is very satisfied with my progress. Rom was 125 last week. I have been a little concerned that the knee stays very warm. I still have very little pain, only some twinges ever so often and the knee pops when I walk at times. My PT says it is not the joint, but, just the tendons and ligaments trying to settle in. I do feel some tenderness around the sides of the joint after therapy. I am paranoid about infection as the first surgeon I saw told me I would have infection inside and out due to primary lymphedema in my legs and he refused to perform the surgery. I had an arthroscopy on the same knee last July 2015 and did not have a problem with infection, but did have fluid which had to be drained and severe pain which never stopped until I had the TKR. Seeing my surgeon next Tuesday....hoping all is well with my new knee.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just saw my PT for the last time. I am a little sad to think I will not have him on a regular basis, but, I
do have his phone number! He reassured me that the warmth and redness is normal at this stage as the soft tissue is still healing. Also, he says that sometimes there are inner sutures that have not yet dissolved and can cause the redness and warmth of the knee. He also said that he has seen an eruption much like a large pimple form when there are inner sutures that have not dissolved. I iced last night and the knee is cooler and the redness has almost disappeared. I will continue to watch it for now. The knee is tender so he advised to let it rest for a couple of days before resuming my exercises.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Yes, it's kind of mixed emotions when you're finished with PT, especially if you've had a great therapist. Time to move on to the next phase of recovery......starting to do the activities you used to love to do but had to stop because of pain. Just remember not to try everything too soon! Slow and steady!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Sounds like you have a good, sensible PT. Your knee can stay warm for a few months, though gradually you will notice that less and less.
 
Went for 6 week post op appointment on the 21st. Joint is in place and my scar has healed. OS was very pleased with my progress. The trip was long and exhausting and being up and out caused my leg and foot to swell. I have also developed some pain behind my knee in the top of the calf. It is not severe, but, enough to disrupt my sleep.
No pain until this developed. I finished my blood thinner medication and Celebrex last Monday. I have been icing about once a day and keeping my leg elevated. The swelling has finally subsided entirely today, but, the pain persists. Will have nurse check it out on Wednesday.
 
Sounds like your doing great. Good work. Long car ride tend to cause some agervatin. I can't sleep cause of pain. And leg aches. I have restless leg syndrome.

Hope all why's sorted out for you. Xxx


FaithMitchmommy
PKR December.1,2014
TKREV MARCH.2,2015
 
Given that you are not that far in your recovery, that pain behind your knee is probably caused by a little swelling. About the last place that stopped hurting for me was behind the knee. Don't forget to ice there and stretch. Sometimes a little heat (alternating with ice) and stretching also helps.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom