MUA and still in pain

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you obviously didn't read Judy's post just before yours? :doh:

I will change the prefix to MUA but the date you have in your signature.
 
Yes, I take my tylenol 3 with codeine every 4 hours. Guess I just thought I would be further along by now.
Am learning from reading all the info provided on this site that not everyone gets to were the PT thinks you should be in 3 months. Am working on not being so hard on myself but does not always work
 
Josephine I went back but did not see a post from a Judy, sorry am still working on figuring out how to post things and respond to posts. I do appreciate everyone's patience and help though and really hope I do not cause to many issues for you to have to correct :). Thank you for providing this site to help us with our questions
 
Renew, you absolutely will be hard on yourself from time to time. It's only natural to second guess yourself especially when the professionals tell you to do things contrary to the Bonesmart forum members. :skep: I personally struggle with it from time to time :what: but I do know that when I listen to my body, it knows best! :ok: I am truly thankful I found this site, or less I would've done some real damage. :groan:

This recovery is not a scene from a Rocky movie, where you push past your limits while chanting "No pain, No pain!" lol It's more in line with the movie titles, No Country for Old Men, or There Will Be Blood, I have never seen either of these two movies, but it sounds like there was some suffering going on in them.

Bottom line, when you doubt yourself it's okay, :yes: just don't do anything to hurt yourself thinking it will help. :headbang: It may make your mind feel like you're doing something to promote healing, :dancy: but your body will let you know otherwise. :no-fin: :bicycle2: :thud:

Hang in there and remember... A kneecation, is just like a vacation, so forget your troubles and Relax Mon! :egypdance:
 
Thanks Bionic Women am trying and learning more each day from this site!!
I really appreciate the pep talk!!!!!
 
Melodie, one thing I have stopped doing is comparing my recovery to anyone else's and thinking about where I should be for my dates. I have put my knee replacement book back on the bookshelf as I just don't conform to the timescales! My surgeon has reiterated that my recovery will not be like other peoples because I have too much prior damage and you cannot compare a traumatic knee with a knee replaced due to bone on bone arthritis. Its taken a while but I am actually listening to him now! It is not a level playing field when it comes to a knee replacement!

It's time to listen to your body and your knee and you will know what is right and wrong. I listen to my PT but if I don't feel what she is asking is right then I don't do it :yikes: Other times she has good ideas and I do them, like making bending part of everyday life. I often feel I am not as far on as I should be so I am with you on that one. But hey, we will get there so chin up and stay strong :yes!:
 
Renew- Hi I am Donna sorry I haven't posted a reply to this before now. I just read the full responses from all our BS members. You have been given some wonderful replies and they are talking from experience. I thought although I am 2 weeks out from my RTKR still I cannot respond from having been in your shoes yet. However I can respond by having knee surgery previously and having decreased ROM and swelling. An also as a Physiotherapist Assistant.

Whilst your knee remains swollen your ROM is reduced and until you have that under control you are not going to do anything more then keep causing the knee to swell and increase pain. When you have pain and swelling together you need to elevate and ice. I know you want to be further advanced but your knee is letting you know it is NOT ready to be pushed or pulled until it is ready.

Your PT needs to be informed how you are feeling and coping when they are not seeing you. Have you taken pain meds prior to attending your appointment and are you keeping to the clock still with your meds?

Seriously you need to take time to allow your swelling to ease and I know your getting frustrated but if you do not listen to what everyone here has been saying then you are going to keep asking the same question. REST, ICE ELEVATE and take your pain meds on time and if you are not getting relief then go back to your Dr and explain how you are feeling.

No-one can see your pain of feel your pain so what level do you give it out of 10 now?
Are there times when it is higher or lower?

How much rest are you getting and sleep?

How often are you doing gentle non weight bearing exercises? Ankle pumps and heel slides etc
 
It seems to be a common theme that TKR patients get tangled up in their PT or ortho's goals. Alison really hit the nail on the head when she said that it's not a level playing field.

The best PTs and orthos individualize their care. There's this term "personal best," but it's not determined by us or these professionals, it's determined by the knee. Really.
 
I decided not to go to physio today as my knee is very swollen and painful and my Pt really pushes me hard, so I decided to stay home elevate ,ice and rest hoping that it will help me so that I can begin with gentle exercises over the weekend and hopefully get the swelling down before my next Physio appt. on Tuesday. I have also found a gentle exercise schedule at a pool close to my home and am going to start that next week as well.

Good that you cancelled that PT and are looking into water exercise. But just be aware of of that instinct we all have to do something when we want to reach a goal. Sometimes we reach that goal better by doing as little as possible rather than more!

The way to recover from MUA is to learn to think like an injured & restricted knee, and also to think like scar tissue.

If you were your knee where everyone was pressuring you to bend ("Now!" "More!"), you might not be a happy camper. Knees need the chance to bend when they are ready, not before. Just because you've had MUA doesn't mean your knee is ready to bend to where you/PT/OS wants!!

If you were scar tissue, you'd love to be surrounded by inflammation. Activity will stir up inflammation. After MUA, we have to keep the knee in motion but at a minimum so as not to stir up inflammation. Bending your knee at every opportunity is not necessarily going to encourage it to bend better. Exercise, swelling, pain, pushy PTs -- are all going to work against your goal to bend more. Rest, ice and elevate your leg as much as possible. Put it through range of motion 2-3 times a day. No strengthening is needed now. Strengthening exercises only contribute to pain and swelling.

If ever patience and "less is more" were appropriate, it's now. If you look at my signature, you'll see I've been through it all and had to learn the hard way. And BTW I have a CPM machine I'd be glad to mail you if you wanted to cover the cost of shipping. It's just sitting here. I bought it for my own recovery and have not been able to sell it. I found CPM moved my leg without stirring up pain and swelling.
 
It is not a level playing field when it comes to a knee replacement!

I was checking my email, and immediately after reading this post I came across the dictionary.com word for the day:

pari passu \PAH-ree PAHS-soo; Eng. PAIR-ahy PAS-oo, PAIR-ee\, adverb:
1. with equal pace or progress; side by side.
2. without partiality; equably; fairly.


I thought HOW PERFECT! Recovery from TKR is NOT pari passu. Oh well... :shrug:

Smile... It's good for you :flwrysmile:



broken link removed: https://news.yahoo.com/monster-crocodile-traps-tourist-australian-island-082034324.html
 
Renew, I had my RTKR the same day as you. I got mixed up with meds to start with and couldn't get on top of pain. I've been really thankful though (I'm in the UK) to have had very gentle physio from a therapist I'd had treatment with before and trusted. I only ever had 1/2 hour once a week with 4 gentle exercises to do at home twice a day. My physiotherapist only ever aided very gently with stretches and chatted, answered questions and watched me walking.
My physio has nearly ended now, I've only had 2 sessions in the last 6 weeks and I was told now to exercise just once a day. I really don't do much, heel slides and 2 standing exercises. My leg muscle is flabby but it'll strengthen I feel, of it's own accord when I use the leg more. I rest, ice, elevate as and when....our freezer is in the garage, my poor husband gets sent out during the night.
I walk around the house, up and down stairs, go out a little, but only a very little, I really don't do much at all yet. I did walk across town today to see my grandchildren. Are you using walking aids? I used a stick today because I had a lot of aching and some swelling and it gives me security when there are people jostling about. I have an ancient exercise bike I was donated that I use for 5 mins a day with the seat high and low resistance.
Keep in touch, this is a long journey, there are no shortcuts, we just have to go with the flow.

Sue.
 
Renew, you posted a question earlier about pool exercises. After my 2nd TKR I requested aqua therapy which my OS signed me up for after I hit the 4 week mark. The PT only had me start at 1 day per week then increased to 2 because they felt I needed the "land" PT as well - stretching, massage & strengthening. It felt REALLY nice to be in the pool - like all was almost normal. But as I came up the steps, each knee seemed to add more and more weight! I don't know really which PT did the trick for me, but I did enjoy the gentleness of being in the water. I highly recommend it if your OS thinks it is a good choice for you as well. Good luck
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom