THR and 32 years old

did you have anterior?
No I had lateral. I had posterior for my left hip and had restrictions. Six weeks is a short time for a lifetime of no more hip pain.
when do people start sleeping on their operated side?
Try it now. Just keep that pillow between your legs. For most the incision site is still tender at 4 weeks out.
 
I was able to sleep on my side around day 5 or 6 post surgery, but I had the anterior approach and my OS said I didn't have to avoid any sleeping position. I was skeptical, but after putting a pillow between my knees, it felt amazing. I haven't been able to do this comfortable since mid-October.
 
Today is 5 weeks since op...

On Wednesday I was more active at home walking without the sticks and than went out for a walk (with the sticks) in the afternoon and I think I have overdone it, as at the end of the day I was swollen at the incision and it was very painful to walk and sleep.

2 days later I still have the same swelling (it is mostly around the incision and upper and lateral thigh). I have rested mostly in the last 2 days and iced 4-5 times a day but no joy in reducing the swelling and it is still somewhat uncomfortable to walk.

Have I simply overdone it and I am paying for it or should I worry? If I have overdone it when should I expect the swelling to go down.
 
My at home PT told me about this just yesterday. You can get swelling and soreness for quite a while. Particularly, he told me, when you start getting some endurance and go that extra distance. I'm betting that a few more days of rest, ice, and elevation will help.

Fever, redness, clunking/grinding in the hip--then I'd worry. Swelling is just a reminder you're progressing, but not there yet.
 
NewHip is right, swelling can go on for quite awhile - especially when you increase your activity level. Ice and elevate. I found if I had an active day followed by a rest day it worked quite well. Pretty soon the rest days get shorter.
 
@NewHip2017 and @Jaycey thanks, I have rested the last 3 days and lastnight the swelling was much better although not completely gone yet. I am back to my normal activity levels and all I can feel is the swelling like a tennis ball whenever I walk but I am back to no pain at all.

I have managed to sleep on the operated side lastnight and it felt nice for a change to have the option of both sides to give some time off to my back, although it became uncomfortable very soon so I am hoping that this feeling will gradually disappear with time.
 
although it became uncomfortable very soon so I am hoping that this feeling will gradually disappear with time.
Yes this will ease with time. Most hippies find the incision area is too tender to sleep on for many weeks post op. Just keep trying.
 
@medlence wow, your recovery is very encouraging. I'm having my THR hopefully in April. I'm a little older, but in pretty decent shape. I have 3-4 weeks vacation time before having to get back to work. I sure hope my surgery goes as smoothly as yours. Do you happen to know what kind of material they used in your hip, metal, plastic, ceramic etc? Being you are younger, I'm sure your OS was going for longevity. All the best!!
 
@BMsea I have Ceramic on Ceramic, was advised by the surgeon of small risks of squeaking and brittle but as you can read here on the forum these are just instances of potentially a lot older models of ceramics than they are putting now so I have decided to go for it.

I would say choose the surgeon and make sure he has experience in putting the kind of implant he wants to use rather than choosing the implant itself, as this is what matters the most for the longevity of the implant.

Good luck with your surgery in April I am sure you will feel 100% better with your new hip.
 
I would say choose the surgeon and make sure he has experience in putting the kind of implant he wants to use rather than choosing the implant itself, as this is what matters the most for the longevity of the implant.
This is definitely the way to go. Choose a surgeon who does high volume THRs. That surgeon will use the implant most suited to you given your lifestyle and more importantly - one that they have experience using. After all you would not want the surgeon to practice with a new implant on you.
 
7 Weeks post op today

Went to see the surgeon today and all restrictions have been lifted, I can slowly return to ALL normal activities I was doing before the hip issues - the only advice I was given is to go slow and test before jumping fully into any of the activities so I make sure my body is ready for it. Next appointment at my 1 years anniversary.

Drove the car for first time and it felt great - one of the things I was missing a lot - I enjoy driving it relaxes me.

Have been sleeping on the operated side with a pillow between my legs and for the past week I was increasing the time I spend on it - it almost feels as normal as the other side now

No pains at all and the swelling over the incision is now very minimal so it causes almost no discomfort.

Re-activating my gym membership today and will be in the swimming pool tomorrow.

I will say it again as this has been my only regret - if you have similar issues don't wait, do the hip replacement as soon as possible as it will definitely improve your life.
 
2 months anniversary yesterday and life is good and pain free

went swimming twice last week and it felt amazing, I used to swim 3-4 days a week even when the hip issues started but it was somewhat painful in the pool, not anymore I had trouble free swim with absolutely no pain

also no swelling or pain during the day, and only slight discomfort with the IT band usually at night after lying on my operated side for longer period of time

went to see the physio this morning and she is happy with muscle build and says she can feel couple of trigger points on the IT band so was given some stretches

I've been also told I can go back to the gym and was given green light for light cycling, elyptical trainer and treadmill on slight incline if I wanted to. asked about rowing but was told to wait for another month or so and even than to listen to my body
 
Wonderful report, @medlence !! So sorry it took me this long to see it. (lots of posts to review these days!) I wish you continued improvement and a wonderful life with that new hip!!
 
2 months anniversary yesterday and life is good and pain free

went swimming twice last week and it felt amazing, I used to swim 3-4 days a week even when the hip issues started but it was somewhat painful in the pool, not anymore I had trouble free swim with absolutely no pain

also no swelling or pain during the day, and only slight discomfort with the IT band usually at night after lying on my operated side for longer period of time

went to see the physio this morning and she is happy with muscle build and says she can feel couple of trigger points on the IT band so was given some stretches

I've been also told I can go back to the gym and was given green light for light cycling, elyptical trainer and treadmill on slight incline if I wanted to. asked about rowing but was told to wait for another month or so and even than to listen to my body

@medience. So happy for you! I was excited to hear about your swimming again! I am post op 12 day with 2 THR. Physical activity is what used to define me:( slowly had to give up everything... so I'll be in the pool ASAP cant wait! Good for you and take good care!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
@medlence well done on getting all restrictions lifted. Go easy at the gym. Start with no resistance and do half as much as you think you can. Build up slowly. Even though you have been released to get active you are still healing. That hip is still in charge.
 
7 months post op on Friday and I have some issues so I hope you can help put my mind at rest

Following the 2 months lift of restrictions I took it slow and progressed with exercise at a slow pace and things were great, no pain except for the occasional ache and muscle did build up progressively. I have been back to normal life and doing all things I was able to before until last week when I started having more persistent pain in the front and lateral side of the thigh and is more often present at rest than while being active. Last night I was woken up by this pain so I am becoming a little worried.
Also I have noticed that the whole upper leg is slightly swollen, not sure if the swelling was there before and not sure if swelling at this stage is normal?
Should I just take this as normal process to full recovery or should I be worried and investigate further?
Thanks
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@medlence this is a bit worrying so far out from your surgery. What activities have you been doing lately. Anything new for instance lifting or pushing heavy objects, using weights with exercise? Does resting, icing and elevating take care of the swelling?
 
Hi @Jaycey
I haven't been doing anything different, maybe slightly longer walks but nothing out of the ordinary, nothing that can explain the increased pain or swelling.
I went to see my physio this morning - she believes it is inflamed piriformis muscle that is putting pressure on the IT band and by gently massaging it has released some of the pressure, so I am hoping that with the advice to massage it with a tennis ball 5-10 minutes a day it will be soon gone.
She tested my ROM and general flexibility of the implant and was impressed how much it has improved since the last time I have been in (3 months ago), I didn't feel any pain or discomfort while doing that so I am hoping it is just the case of inflamed piriformis.
 
I had piriformis issues post LTHR. Light stretches - especially hamstring stretches seemed to help. The tennis ball trick also works well. Hope you feel better soon!
 
just came back from a 10mile bike ride that felt great and wanted to update the forum on progress...

9 months since op and apart from the piriformis troubling me couple of months ago hip feels as my own
I walk as long as I want or need to, do sports without limitations or pain

to all young people that might be browsing this forum if you are debating operation my suggestion is do it sooner rather than later, pain and limping will go away and you will go back to normal life
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom