Guest viewing is limited

TKR Amy's Right Knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope they figure out what exactly is going on. I'm so sorry that you had such a hard time with the epidural. The last thing I can remember of starting the therapy was sitting up in the OR and having the epidural placed. Ouch. Then I don't even remember laying down. I guess they must have given me a sedative then. I've had epidural 4 times now (3 with childbirth) and while it hurt they never had to attempt it several times. I would recommend that you find a good anaesthesiologist if you ever have it again. You have the right to choose and don't have to use the one that you meet just minutes before.
 
@RunwithSmoke - this is a challenging enough procedure without side events.. But ...
Hang in there, check in with @Braunzie who is always in search of that elusive PATIENCE ATM. When she finds it, we are ALL storming it! :wink:
I promise I'll share if and when I find it!!!! :friends:
 
Newlybionic, This was at the Mayo Clinic. I thought they had all this down to a science. But for anything I have done in the future, I will have anesthesia. My other knee is arthritic and hurts, but I'm afraid to ever go through TKR again. I wish they'd hurry up with the stem cell studies, and I so hope it is something that will be useful to us humans.
 
Hopefully you can avoid having surgery on your other knee. I know my other knee is in bad shape too. I hope your feeling better every day.
 
I'm 11.5 weeks along since my RTKR and my knee is slowly getting better. It still looks bruised sometimes, has some inflammation and the kneecap is very sore. And I still have a very hard time getting it to straighten. It was at 6 degrees at eight weeks. I'm not sure what it is now. I can make it straight if I work at it, but I don't like making it hurt. Does anyone have any reassurance that it will not stay bent forever?
 
It won't stay bent for ever. Extension often takes longer to achieve than flexion, so don't worry about it. Some of these exercises might help: Extension: exercises for improvement
Just choose a couple that you like and do them gently. Don't allow them to hurt you.

Walking like this will also help, especially if you lengthen your stride:
[Bonesmart.org] Amy's Right Knee
 
You're still healing at 12 weeks--and for some people the swelling seems to hang on. It did for my first knee, not so much for the second. Hang in there.
 
Thanks @Celle and @kneeper - I've been doing a couple of the extension exercises and I walk with the heel to toe motion. I'm still icing and elevating. I think I am doing the right things, but since my knee doesn't seem a lot straighter, I worry that it will always be bent. It is also still swollen with a very sore kneecap.

If I keep doing the exercises, but not too forcefully, and walk heel to toe, are you fairly certain that my knee will straighten as it heels? Am I worrying for nothing?
 
I'm sure you leg will straighten, with time, or at least get much better than it is now.
Don't expect a fast improvement, as tendons and ligaments that had shortened will have to stretch again and that can take a while.
If the swelling is still lingering, that could slow things down, too..
 
It took me quite a while to strengthen my leg. It was more than 12 weeks until I was close to zero. I just sat on the table at PT and the back of my knee hit the table. No extra exercising or anything special. I do periodically feel like someone has a grip on my kneecap and it's difficult to bend
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom