Guest viewing is limited

THR Amazing is all I can say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stan thanks for the encouragement and great story!! I have 23 days to go. Fearful of not sleeping well as time draws closer but I know I need to do this for myself. Made the mistake of viewing scar pictures. That seems to be on my mind now. Guess I need to view it as badge of courage versus sign of weakness :). Hope I do as well as you have. Keep us posted - it's nice to live through someone else's experience a bit to demystify it all.

Tee


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Stan- you had the painful heels too? Wow I really am curious what causes that. Mine are much better now but the first two days the heels hurt far worse then the hip if you can believe it. So strange.
 
So it has been nine days since surgery for me and I have surpassed any thoughts I had for recovery. I went for my first post op appointment with dr. yesterday and got the go ahead to do much more. He said I could do what only 10% could do at this point. So I'm back to driving now. Said I could shower...oh finally! I've been walking 1 mile at a time and feeling like I could do more. Dr. also said I could ride stationary bike with very low resistance. Huge smile on my face. Stopped by work, and am planning on doing some partial days next week. My employer has been so accommodating. I feel lucky! Been reading a ton. Nice to see all of the other BS people and their successes, and feel sad for some of the tough problems some have had to face. For those that are battling the tough stuff keep your chin up and you will break through the winner! I feel proud to be associated with you all.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
:yay: Awesome awesome awesome!! So glad to hear that you are breezing through your recovery. I hope it's all smooth sailing from here on out! :egypdance:
 
Great update Stan. My OS said I could do exercise bike, but not yet on recumbent bike. Are you ok for both or just upright?
 
Great update Stan. My OS said I could do exercise bike, but not yet on recumbent bike. Are you ok for both or just upright?
Just upright stationary bike. But it felt great to be doing. A bit tight at top of revolution so I did also put the seat way up. Watch out for the 90 rule. Went slow and short.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
I know this will be a long road to recovery but am totally impressed with results thus far and have no regrets. For those in the pre op scenario still, I would tell you that it is not as huge as I was anticipating and to take comfort in your decision to have the surgery. I feel like I'm in a better situation now.
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®

Cool beans, you seem like you are doing wonderful. I was in hospital for a full 6 days since my scar was not healing well and they kept me there until they had to push me out (since I could have gotten sick from the others). I had the same type of surgery (cut from behind) and I was walking the next day . .think I walked all of may be 40 feet. By Day 3 I was walking 200 feet with a walker.

I'd like to see where you are at 7 weeks post op. I was still using a walker since I was scared of cane only. My thigh was numb down to knee until week 7 post op. With your positive attitude, it will propel you to recover faster. Listen to your body, it knows best.

If you can run and it feels good, I don't see an issue. Just remember the docs may say "Don't ever run again since it wears down the joint". I know for me, I like to take short jogs. I can't handle much of a jog since I'm 50 pounds + overweight. If I lost the 50, it may not be so bad to jog.

If you were active before the THR, you are naturally going to want to be just as active after the THR. Congrads.
 
Thank you Sandee for the well wishes. I have a deep desire to run again someday. It has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember. I don't want to quit and die having not enjoyed life. But rather enjoy life and deal with any problems as they arise. I will be cautious though. May you enjoy life in whatever you do! Peace


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Seems like such a minor annoyance but is anyone have a really itchy incision? If so any suggestions?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Yup! I drove me crazy! Have you had your stitches/staples out yet? That does ease things. Icing also eases this. The good news this doesn't last long. Just don't put any lotions, etc. on it until it's fully healed.
 
Looks like you're doing great, Stan.
Being able to drive / do exercises again is a big step on the way to recovery. Just don't overdo it at first. Listen to your body, and stop when it says "I"ve had enough!". :upright:
 
2 weeks post op.
Been driving since day 9 post op. What a relief to not be so tied down. Off pain meds since about day 6 with the exception of an occasional Tylenol. Using aspirin for a blood thinner 2 x day. TED socks supposed to use for 4 weeks. Sleeping has been better as I have been rolling over on non surgical side with pillow between knees. I have slowly worked up to walking 2 miles at a time. Using trekking poles that I like when I backpack for last 3-4 days. I feel steady enough. Also got the approval to ride stationary bike. It is a old model upright. No resistance just spinning. Each time increasing rpm though. Up to 5 miles at 50-60 rpm. Feels good to move so. Going to keep increasing slowly on both bike and walk!
I have been trying to eat lots of protein in the form of meat. I love my vege's to. I do take multi vitamins and wonder if other supplements could be beneficial to bone health. B6? Calcium? Hmmm!
Started working again on day 12 for 2 hours, day 14 for 4 hours. Feels ok but standing on concrete that long is a bit tiring still. I'll walk shorter on days I work. Nice to not blow all my paid time off though. I have had a vacation planned since way before I even thought about having THR. Looking forward to August. Should be pretty healed by then to.
April 30th seems a long time ago now. I'll never forget that day though! I wish all my BS buddies continued improvement and happiness.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Stan you aced this!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
Thanks MajorHeidi I have been putting a lot of effort into not doing to much. Baby steps... But for me that may be different then for others because I was pretty fit going into surgery. Been a distance runner most of my life so a 1 mile walk doesn't feel like hardly anything.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Ok that makes more sense now. Seems the fitter you are presurg the easier it goes in recovery.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom