BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[BILATERAL THRs] Al's New Hips<

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by ATC, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    What a saga! Poor you, sorry you had to experience all of that.
    It's good to have the knowledge of what you're dealing with and your OS's prognosis is comforting.
    At only 2 1/2 months post op you're really early into recovery considering how long you'll have the implant.
    Take it easy as advised and hopefully all will be well. We're here for you, so stay in touch.
    A great weekend to you!
    @ATC

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Yep - we have an article about it MRI scans and joint replacements
    That would be correct!
    Huh? huh.gif

3. Layla

Hi @ATC
    Happy Three Month Anniversary!
    I hope all is going well.
    We'd love to hear how you're doing next time you stop by.
    Wishing you all the best as you continue your recovery.

4. ATC

ATC new member

Hey folks Sorry I've been quiet, working from home but very busy.

I was a real couch potato for the past 3½ weeks, no exercising (nice emojis Debru), no "walks" and used the cane. Felt pretty good. This past Sunday I figured I'd try and go for a walk around the block, brought the cane as a just in case. Felt good initially but then right hip (problematic one) started up so I stopped.

Saw Dr today and advised. Still a lot of pain when he holds ankle with knee bent and rotates knee inward. He's starting to get concerned as running out of ideas. Wants another MRI and visit in 2 weeks, if shows better maybe some more rest (sigh), if is same or worse talking about a screw in the cup (cringe) as may not be as "fitted" as would have liked.

I am frustrated but really want this to be over. If a screw will seal the deal, then let's go and get this behind us already.

I went down this path to "restore" my quality of life. I ain't seein' it as of yet, and I ain't gettin' any younger. I know a lot of folks here much worse off than me, and I can imagine the range of emotions from fear, to disgust, to hatred, and depression. As well I have run through them all along this journey, in many cases to a lesser extent than others. I am done feeling sorry for myself and am now angry.

I had a revision for a bad shoulder repair a few years back and now facing same for this. I just don't understand.

Will post back when I have more.

As usual thank you all for your support.

5. Layla

I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you in all of this. I'm sure it's easy to feel defeated.
    You're right, we can always think of someone who has it worse than us, but this is your life and you want to live it fully as best as you can. Certainly nothing wrong in wanting that. I hope a determination is made and a plan put in place when you meet your OS next, in two weeks. Try not to be angry. While you aren't getting any younger, as you pointed out, you're still relatively young with hopefully lots of living yet to experience. Hang tight, we're rooting for you. Please keep in touch.
    Wishing you comfort, peace of mind and healing.
    @ATC

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Oh no, ATC
    I was truly hoping this was not a complication, but just some soft tissue/muscle settling..but I'm with you.
    If there is something "screwed up" then let's get it over with.
    I'm sorry you have two experiences where it couldn't just be done and over with it.
    I'm sure I would be rather angry too!:blackcloud:
    Please give us an update, we are cheering for you.

7. Layla

Hi,
    I noticed it's the Four Month anniversary of your BTHR.
    I'd like to wish you Happy Anniversary and hope it is happy...
    Wondering how the visit with your OS and the MRI went?
    Please update us if you stop by...we do care.
    Wishing you only the best.
    @ATC

8. ATC

ATC new member

Hey folks-

Latest update:
    Did the second MRI- showed very slight improvement but not what the doc was hoping for. Recommends revision to redo the cup and put some screws in. Asked again about the stems in the femurs lighting up but he wasn't so concerned about that.
    Went for a second opinion and this guy was so 190 degrees it didn't help me at all. He didn't "see' the issue in the acetabular, but was very concerned about the stems. He couldn't understand how anyone could do bilateral, doesn't believe in anterior revisions, blah blah blah. I am certainly not discrediting his opinion or his capability, but the opinion didn't help me any. His suggestion was I wait until one year and then re-evaluate.
    Tried to get into Hospital for Special Surgery in New York for a third, but they wouldn't even entertain me.

I guess it's like going to different barbers to fix a bad haircut, no one wants the responsibility. The original barber offers to fix it, but do you really trust him?

In any event, I am scheduled for revision early May. Figure I can always cancel if something changes.

Will be sure and keep you posted on what transpires.

-Al

9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @ATC So sorry you are facing a revision. Is the surgeon going to look at and address the issue of a possible lose stem while he is in there?

Please let us know your surgery date and I will pop the information into your signature for you.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. ATC

ATC new member

I have a call out to him to discuss the stem. I've been having as lot of thigh pain.
    The surgical order says "acetabular only".
    I know he can't just run to the auto parts store in the middle, so I want to make sure he has everything that he needs.
    Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mojo333

Hi.
    Just wanted to know I am hoping all if this will be resolved with this surgery...I do hope you have another pre-op appointment where you can get some of your concerns clarified.
    Wishing you comfort on this Easter Sunday!

12. ATC

ATC new member

Hey gang,

Revision performed yesterday, came home this morning. Replaced the right acetabular component and put 4x screws in. Dr. Said there was 0 (yes zero) bony ingrowth with the fist implant. Said he’d never seen this before, and it had no chance. So thankful that I listened to him vs the second opinion as he said it would only have gotten worse. He said it popped right out!
    Keep it short for now as on the good cocktails. Obvious question I have is why.
    Thanks again to you all for your continued support!

Al

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mojo333

No great options, but good to know there really were none.
    So glad you have gotten thru the surgery...and I pray this is the get it done you need to get back to healthy and happy.
    Keep the faith friend...I'm rooting for you.

14. heartscall

heartscall new member

Hello Al,
    I have been following your story on this forum. How are you doing with your current recovery?
    Mary