TKR Almost two years with tkr

Thanks. I waited 8 years to do this one, lol. But I’m taking this one very slowly. I was 87 flexion at 2 weeks, cancelled PT last week because I wasn’t happy with them. Tomorrow I’m going to be very firm. I don’t think I’ve increased in flexion but the medial pain I’ve been having is lessening and in no way do I want to go back to having that pain increase. Makes it hard to flex but it’s not as bad last two days. I can tell that probably by next Monday, which will be 4 weeks I’ll start to improve. So pray I can be very firm tomorrow. I’m happy with my extension I can barely get my fingers underneath when I have it extended out on something firm. I’m struggling a little with how much I should be flexing it. I do 3 sets of 5. Is that too little?

@Mar ~ that's what I do with my home exercises: 3 sets of 5. I have around 5 exercises I'm supposed to be doing at home but I don't do them all in one day. actually, the ones that I am finding too easy (heel slides and leg lifts), I don't bother with too much, just the ones that I feel are strengthening. mind you, I have a different injury than you. (p.t. would want me to be doing way more and holding longer, but I'm listening to my body, there's no rush to get to where I need to be).

LateRainNYC,
After the event I found it helpful to look at pain thru a do nothing lens. Not have the TKR and you could be assured a level 8 pain was only going to get worse.
After a TKR you can be assured a level 8 pain is only going to get better.
I am at 9 mths and I reflect talking to my wife today and commenting for the first time in many months I had a tiny bit of pain. Spent Sat watching grandsons play soccer and rugby and it was -5C in Canberra today!
Seriously I recollect at about 4 months with zero pain in both knees, first time in forty years!!
This is such a great way to look at it!!! I chose to move forward with this precisely because my pain was getting worse and it was hindering my ability to enjoy life.

I went for my post-op appointment today and my surgeon said that everything looks great. He also told me that if I am very tired at the end of the day, then I am doing it right.

I do feel like things are getting incrementally better.

@Newkneemelodee,

LateRain, you will not feel like you do now in 6 weeks, or even 2 weeks. It gets better every few weeks. It is also possible to regress, and no matter what it seems that progress is slower than we want or expect. I'm just past 6 weeks and no longer take pain meds at all unless I'm having a bad day. Does my leg feel normal or work like I want it to? Not even close. But at least that early pain has changed into something much less painful. It does get better.

Thank you so much for these words of encouragement! I know it’s comparing apples to oranges, but with my ankle fusion I was done with the prescription pain meds after a few weeks. And even though there was pain, it wasn’t like this, which felt like two weeks of “first day” pain.

I know the results will be worth it. It’s probably good that I didn’t know the extent of it going into it.

Thank you so much for these words of encouragement! I know it’s comparing apples to oranges, but with my ankle fusion I was done with the prescription pain meds after a few weeks. And even though there was pain, it wasn’t like this, which felt like two weeks of “first day” pain.

I know the results will be worth it. It’s probably good that I didn’t know the extent of it going into it.

I should clarify when I say I'm not taking any pain meds - I mean not even Tylenol. I'm still aware my knee had major surgery but it is more annoyance or aching than pain at this point.

I sort of overdid it yesterday and today, and my knee aches now but not bad enough to feel the need for any meds. If it still feels like this at bedtime I might take some Tylenol, but most likely I'll just ice and it will feel ok.

Everyone is different, but it does get progressively less painful and will for you as well. At the two week mark I was starting to regret having the surgery. Now at 6 weeks I can tell I'll be better off and it will be worth it.

Thread Derailment

Every member of BoneSmart who has had surgery can have their own dedicated thread specifically aimed at their own recovery. By the same rather obvious token, people should not discuss their case and in particular should not ask questions about it, or for advice, on any other thread.

This thread has been derailed by a few such posts. Please everyone (I'm naming no names here, it's not about singling people out) remember this thread is about the original poster and their recovery.

Obviously you can describe your own experiences, we encourage that. Please relate such experiences to the thread starter and how it may help them; please post any questions or requests for advice on your own recovery threads.

(Note I am not referring to the post directly before this notice, but to several over the previous couple of pages of posts)

Last edited by a moderator:
I am at 9 weeks and my bend only went to 109. My straightening is -3. I am not going to worry because I have read lots of posts where range of motion improves slowly but improves nonetheless. Sleep is still an issue mostly because my hip hurts. Probably my hip is sore from my change in gait. I still go to physio three times a week, and will until my 12 week xray. I am not really as panicked. I have fewer weepy days now, which is good. Thank you so much for asking. My physiotherapist is wonderful and does not push me or hurt me.

Hi Newkneemeloee!

It sounds to me like you are right where you should be - everyone's journey is different and it's easy to get frustrated that there isn't an off the self answer for everything.

I am 13 weeks out and I still have my moments - but even from day 1 I knew I made the right choice. I have more good moments than bad ones and as time goes it just gets better and better.

Thankfully Bonesmart has a place for all of us to talk and pick each other up!

I love the title of this thread "Am I normal?"! If we were normal we wouldn't have needed our knees replaced =). That and the fact I don't know what "normal" is, no one has ever accused me of being "normal" lol.

Have you tried using an anti inflammatory gel on your hip? I have OA in my hips, to a minor degree, and mine play up at night, particularly in the weeks post BTKR. Diclofenac gel and a good rub sort mine out enough to get me off to sleep again.

Ps. I had my husband go and buy a piece of standard foam, about 4 inches thick, as a mattress topper after my first night out of hospital, My hips were worse than my knees at that stage. I’m still on it. It’s lovely and soft and takes the pressure off my pelvis. It’s better than the expensive memory foam mattress on my usual bed.

Hi Newkneemeloee!

It sounds to me like you are right where you should be - everyone's journey is different and it's easy to get frustrated that there isn't an off the self answer for everything.

I am 13 weeks out and I still have my moments - but even from day 1 I knew I made the right choice. I have more good moments than bad ones and as time goes it just gets better and better.

Thankfully Bonesmart has a place for all of us to talk and pick each other up!

I love the title of this thread "Am I normal?"! If we were normal we wouldn't have needed our knees replaced =). That and the fact I don't know what "normal" is, no one has ever accused me of being "normal" lol.
I would never use the word "normal" to describe myself. When I wrote that post I was having an awful time and worrying that my knee was taking too long to teach a good bend. Knowing that others are experiencing the same thing and manage to eventually bend their new knees makes me feel more "normal"

I love the idea of the foam. I will try that. Thank you so much. A friend actually just gave me that product but as drops. I was using it on my knee so I will use it on my hip too. Thank you. You all make me feel so much better.

Hi again ~ I commented on your other thread, which might be moved here. I will just add that I think your r.o.m. is right on target and you can relax a little with physio and exercise as long as you're getting up to walk around every so often and light chores around the house.

I wonder if you're in my city, Toronto, which has been shut down 3 times now, currently been shut down for a month and will probably extend it to June. Were you able to get a vaccine? I can understand why you're weepy and feeling depressed, not being able to have people In your house on a regular basis to help out. Would you feel comfortable if your family could come in, wearing masks and taking precautions, just to give you a bit of a break? We all have needed help post-op due to the pain, inflammation and discomfort. How are you getting food in and prepared?

No need to feel guilty ~ please listen to your body. Right now, you need rest and medications as needed and prescribed by your dr. Take care of yourself.
I am in Sarnia. My husband is a wonderful help. We have both had one dose of the vaccine. I went into the hospital in the morning of March 8th and my hubby picked me up at the curb at 5:00 pm....same day.

My insurance would have liked for me to have gone home the same day. I live alone and can’t fathom it. I ended up staying two nights.

I went home same day twice when I had my ankles fused, so honestly it was nice to have the extra time. I’m glad that you had your husband to help you!

Today I went in an above ground pool. The water temperature was 72 degrees Fahrenheit. It was chilly but my knee felt great. I just walked around on the bottom. I did try to flutter my legs as well. This was the most relaxing time I have had since my surgery. On Monday I will be 10 weeks. I am still going to physiotherapy. I really like the people there, and with our lockdown it is actually an outing! I have decided not to have measurements taken until I have to go for my 12 week xray. The slow progress with the numbers makes me stress.

Great decision, newknee! Numbers can become unmerciful dictators! And glad you had a relaxing time in the pool.

That’s a cool idea: no numbers until x date! I think that would be liberating, too, because it sees all the PT focuses on is the number... and yumm! The pool sounds wonderful! Although it sounds a bit warm still for my baby knee I guess...

My pool is at 87 degrees and I couldn't wait to get in!

Stupid me did all of my exercises in the pool and then said "hey let's swim"! I can't repeat the words I used when I started to kick. But, in time it got better. I need to ease into that I think.

My PT wasn't focused on numbers once I got past 100 and flexion at 3 in the one leg, the other is at -3 and they stopped measuring that 8 weeks ago. They said the goal was 120 for PT and when I passed it (barely) the never measured again. My PT was really good and focused on the areas that I needed work on. ROM aside, a lot of easy strength building exercises.

I am so happy your hips feel better! Mine got bad sleeping in a recliner for 4 weeks. I was never more thankful for my bed once I figure out a comfortable position.

Great decision, newknee! Numbers can become unmerciful dictators! And glad you had a relaxing time in the pool.
I guess I have to know my numbers in two weeks because the surgeon wants them when I go for my second xray. It felt good going to PT and not getting the dreaded numbers.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bassetmom
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom