Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

TKR Almost time

OP
OP
moondove

moondove

Country
United States United States
Rick951 thanks! I keep reminding myself it’ll be better (eventually) on the other side!

OP
OP
moondove

moondove

Country
@moondove and others: I too am scheduled for a TKR (right) on March 2, and share the all the anxieties mentioned in this thread.
Yay! A surgery buddy! Best of wishes and hoping our nerves calm this week! What time is your surgery?

Nelly

Country
Thank you for sharing. During my last major surgery I was under general anesthesia and woke up throwing up. The anti nausea medicine made me sick as well. I've been thinking about a nerve block but scared because I don't want to hear or see anything.

lovetocookandsew

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I felt exactly the same so never had anything but a GA. But the last time, the anesthesiologist spent a long time with me, right before the surgery, going into deep detail about both. When he told me I could have the spinal, and still be deeply under, I went for it. I was out totally, and never woke at all.

Afterwards, the difference between the two types was night and day. If I had known before that you can be deeply sedated with a spinal, I'd have gone for it long ago. But at least I know it now and will always choose the spinal when possible.

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
I went into surgery asking for a GA but the anethesist explained to me in great detail that the recovery is quicker with the epidural (spine block) I did ask for something extra to relax and assume that it was fine as my surgeryseemed ever so quick and within no time at all I was back in the recovery ward.
1st weeks are hard, but I promise you it really does get better, I'm 4.5 months post surgery and my life is pretty much normal, try and keep a positive attitude, use BoneSmart to vent /query/chat etc there is always someone world wide whom will help/encourage and generally listen to your fears we have all been in the same boat.Today I was asked if I would have my other knee doing my reply much to my own amazement was "Yes in a flash" .
Enjoy your recovery time do things you enjoy be it, watching movies/reading /knitting and gently let your knee recover, use RIME as you mantra (Rest, Ice, Medicate, Elevate) and stay with BoneSmart.
Wishing you all the best for your surgery on the 2nd xx

Deniseb

Country
Im so glad I found this forum! It’s such a relief to hear other people feel the same as me.... I was also worried the spinal wasn’t enough....

Rick951

Country
I am sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I am wrong... The spinal part is just to block the pain. That way a lighter sedative can be used to put you into a lighter state of sedation than GA. There are several drugs that can be used. I had a spinal and sedation, I don't remember anything after we got to the OR doors. I woke up in recovery feeling just fine. I was kind of disappointed I did not get to see the inside of the OR....
Good Luck!
Rick

Nelly

Country
Spinal might be the way to go. Quick question, what do you think about being back to work in 6 weeks? I'm having a RTKR and sit most of the day at work.

Sara61

Forum Advisor
Country
Portugal Portugal
@Nelly wait till you have had your surgery and then decide if you feel fit enough to work, personally I think it's too early you will be going thru major surgery and your body especially your knee needs time to heal ( my mantra is "don't try to run before you can walk" ) take time to rest, ice, medicate and elevate ( RIME) read, watch movies or knit but importantly is the healing , you have the rest of your life to work.
Wishing you a successful operation and looking forward to following your updateson your own post.

Country
Yep. First have the TKR. The recovery time is grand for introspection and giving oneself time to heal for the most part (RIME). I took a 12 week FMLA to insure ample time. I returned to work at 7.5 weeks but it was nice to know I had more time. Not less.

It was nice to catch on watching the movie stream subscriptions I have but don't often use!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Decadeofbliss
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom