TKR Almost one year, still a bit sore

Yes, my knee always felt like it was going to split open, too. It won’t happen next time, though!!! I know better now.

I didn’t drive for a long time, it was maybe at 9 weeks, and I had my left knee done and our car is an automatic.
My leg was just uncomfortable in the car, there was a pulling sensation in the knee that lasted a long time for me when I rode in the car with my leg bent, even well after the 9 weeks. I was afraid it would be too distracting for me to concentrate on the road and other cars. My husband is retired and we go most places together and he’s happy to drive and I’m happy to let him!
 
At the moment it's hilarious, I'm sure, watching me get into the passenger seat - I have to push myself up near the roof so as I can get my barely-bent leg in through the door!! And I have such discomfort on the back of my leg all the way up to my thigh - it feels like it's bruised even now, 7 weeks later :-( We had to go and pick up some friends at Fort Lauderdale airport last week and I texted him to say I hope you don't mind my foot on your lap in the back seat lol because for an hour and a half each way I wasn't sitting in the passenger seat with my leg half bent lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
@Irelandliz, I bought one of those floor pedaling gadgets and found it to be an "exercise in frustration." It moved across the floor no matter where I put it and even if I wedged it up against the wall it would move. It was also very difficult to find the appropriate sitting position for it. The chairs and sofas all were either too high, too low or....whatever. It just wasn't for me. As a result, I purchased an upright, exercise bike, on the recommendation of my PT and I love it.

I transitioned from the walker to a single crutch and then a cane. I continue to bring the cane with me if I am outdoors for a long walk....just in case.:heehee: Walking outdoors is so much more hazardous than indoors, with lumpy surfaces, hills, tree roots, gravel, acorns, crowds of people, dogs, or cobblestones. And city sidewalks are a mess around here! I'm fine and cane-free in stores, but I keep a cane in the car and just carry it with me for longer nature walks. Paranoia runs deep, lol.

If you find that you are limping, than you should revert back to the walker until you can use the cane without limping because good form matters, a lot! Learning how to walk properly again is just that; learning! Who knew, eh? Most of us, self included, have been limping for so long and also walking with bad form it's just what we naturally revert to, especially when tired.

Just for informational purposes, I only went to PT 2x a week, Mondays and Thursdays and tis obviously allows for two days off. That seems a good fit for many here. I also pretty much never did the home exercises, lol. But, as I said earlier, I have a house full of stairs that I can't avoid, so in many respects, that was my additional PT along with walking, and just some gentle stretches at home. My husband was also paranoid about my lack of formal exercise at home, but he's come to see the wisdom of "Less is more." When I get my other knee replaced, if I can't find a PT like the one I have now, I'll just rehab myself at home. With an exercise bike, some stairs, and two little dogs to walk, it should be fairly simple, though I would miss the massages and the great stretching I've been given at PT. He's also helped me with back and hip pain that became exacerbated from the tkr, all of which threw my gait off kilter. Hopefully, I wouldn't have that issue again.

Hope that helps!
 
You asked about the cane earlier. If it keeps you from limping keep using it so you don't get into a limping habit. While I wasn't necessarily using it much at home, I was definitely still using it anytime I went out or had to walk for longer distances well into the third month of recovery.
 
11days is early. I'm 24 days & believe me you can see progress little by little. Several times I've been out for a walk which I never thought I'd do so hang in there it will get better. I've done my fair share of crying as well!
 
The front passenger seat of a car might look and feel like a contortionist’s exercise for a while, but it gets better, and less painful, quickly. It helps to keep the seat way back. Fortunately, cars are sturdily built enough we can grab onto just about any part of it for leverage.

I also still carry my cane in my car. Never know when I’ll need it. As has been mentioned, I use it in crowds — not to assist my walking, which is fine, but to give people notice I should not be bumped. For that, it works like a charm.
 
@Irelandliz, I'm going to disagree a bit with @Jockette about the "small pedaler." After a bit of research, I bought one called the Desk Cycle through Amazon.com. It's not cheap, but it's a well-made machine I can use for years. (My mom and her friends at their assisted-living apartments have similar models, and they get together in a common room to pedal and talk. It's great for keeping circulation and muscle tone up in people who tend not to be as active as they once were.)

I could rotate the Desk Cycle immediately, because I could set a chair at the correct distance for the amount of bend my leg could do. As my ability to bend increased, I could move the chair closer. Its portability allowed me to take it various places so I could keep up a bit of exercise even when not at home. Like @Pheebs52, I couldn't rotate our exercise bike until quite far along. But I could do the Desk Cycle, which was very encouraging! I have had problems with restless leg, and general jumpiness/restlessness, and it was really helpful to be able to jump on the Desk Cycle at low resistance for 10-20 minutes. Sometimes I would do it when I couldn't sleep, in the middle of the night!

Regarding slippage, the cycle did move on our hardwood floors. We have one small room that is carpeted, and that became my temporary exercise room. The carpet is a medium nap, and it does hold the cycle in place. For taking it "on location," we put a floor mat in the car. I actually took it to my OS appointment, and pedaled for 10 minutes before seeing the doctor! It canceled out the stiffening effects of an hour-and-a-half car ride.

Maybe the difference between Jockette's and my experience is that my machine may be more heavy-duty and isn't as prone to sliding?
 
Gosh! Thank you @Polkadot - the funny thing is a few months ago I actually sold my upright exercise bike as it was only holding my clothes!! Lol I will certainly have a look on Amazon for the Desk cycle [emoji4]

Thanks for letting me know [emoji254]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Yes, those bikes do make good clothes racks! Ours is an upright recumbent model (pedals offset, but you're sitting up quite straight), and I had a terrible time revolving the pedals. It is still not very comfortable, so I do ten minutes at a time on the Desk Cycle and then, after warmed up, 5 minutes on the big bike. I want to be able to ride a bike out in the real world someday.
 
If I had my bike smack in the middle of the family room in front of the tv maybe I'd use it more. :heehee: Out of sight out of mind...
 
@SusieShoes so I finally managed to drive on Saturday - just around the block but I felt ok with brake and accelerator control. I won't be doing long drives but to the grocery store I could manage. Getting out of the car was very awkward though! I got my left leg out, then kind of maneuvered my bottom out then had to kind of drag my leg out while hopping on my left foot. Lol I'll have to practice that move before going to the shops!

I did make the mistake of not taking my cane yesterday when I ventured out to have lunch with my husband. Sitting in a regular seat for 40 mins my knee kind of froze and I struggled to walk for five minutes. So I'm definitely going to bring it with me for quite a while to come!!
 
You can also use your cane to prop your foot up on it while sitting . A friend suggested that to me and it’s amazing how much just those few inches help and your knee is at a more relaxed angle that way.

I bet it was good to go out to lunch. I didn’t go to a restaurant until I was 4 months post op!

And I still struggle getting out of the car on the driver’s side. I do better on the passenger side for some reason.
 
I used my cane for at least 20 to elevate while sitting. It is so convenient and no one can see what you are doing!

Make sure you use a handicapped parking area where the stripes are on the driver's side. If the stripes are on the passenger's side, someone might park too close to the driver's side for you to be able to open the door enough to get back in. Then you'd be stuck there until they come back and move their car. I've had a really close call with that.
 
@sistersinhim I noticed Jockette also mentioned using her cane to elevate your leg, I'm not sure how you mean though?
And I do not have a handicapped sticker so for now I will.just drive around and around and wait for.someone to come out close to the building otherwise my hubby just drops me right at the door which is a lot easier... I will have to become more independent eventually lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
When you’re sitting just hold your cane in front of you between your legs, angle it towards whichever is your operated leg and put your ankle up on it.

Good suggestion about the handicap parking space, but where I live I can’t use one without the official hang card on the mirror and you don’t get them from the dr you have to get it from the motor vehicle place.

Now that I am trying to walk more I park out a ways which helps insure that no one will park next to me! Earlier my husband would drop me at the door. If all else fails, he just pulls out of the space so I can open the door all the way.
 
You fill out the paper work for a temporary handicap placard and get your doctor to sign it for you. You can get the paperwork online. You definitely will need one for while. All tkr patients should get one even before their surgery.
 
I asked my surgeon’s office about it and was told I couldn’t have one. It must vary by state.

It would have been nice!
 
Gosh I'm glad you told me I didn't know you could get a temporary one!! Thank you I will ask my doctor to sign the paperwork for me for sure!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Back
Top Bottom