Guest viewing is limited

THR Almost 3 weeks post op

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also have to ad here.. if you're not sure.. it's best to talk to your doc or your physical therapist, as they can show you ways to get the most benefit from a canes use. Even though it adds indepence, there's good ways, and not good ways to use a cane. I hope this makes sense... I know you started with a simple question.. sorry about being so long here.. better safe then sorry.
 
Hi all!

I popped in briefly after my 2nd THR. It's been about 11 weeks now and I've been back to 'normal' life for about 5 weeks now. I just started working out again last week. I did Zumba every week since last Feb after my 1st THR(July 2014).

I'm happy to report I am taking care of my 4 young kids and working out at least 3 times a week(either Zumba or body toning), and hoping to amp it up in the next few weeks.

My gait is back to normal and my right hip feels like it was never replaced compared to the left. So it's about a year and a half out, and I can't tell it's a prosthetic.

I'm glad to have found this group, though I mainly lurked and read, but was a great source of encouragement.

So everyone else, hang in there!

Unfortunately I think my son has the same congenital problem as his hip pops in and out frequently and sometimes gets stuck out when he stands up. I've had X-rays 3 times but they say no dysplasia. I'm going to take him to my orthopedic surgeon so he can see if his hips are as shallow as mine are. Hoping if so we can do something now to avoid THR. My son is only 7 now and has Down syndrome. He's had over 15 surgeries all ready and id like to minimize that. I think though that he has my very shallow hip sockets.


Julie
THR rt 25th July of 2014
THR lt 30th October of 2015
 
A year and a half out and the right one doesn't feel like a prosthetic that's great news! I keep wondering when I'll move completely freely without thinking 'hay slow down, you don't want to twist weird, or run into a counter.' I love reading that you are back to routine exercise.

Michelle
 
I think though that he has my very shallow hip sockets.
Be sure your son avoids W sitting, his therapy team can advise how to promote appropriate sitting.
Glad to hear how well you are doing after your THR's.
 
I merged your threads as per this request One thread for your recovery please?

It is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to easily see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between two or more other threads.

We also have help articles here, you know! In here How To Use This Forum (it's in the "Help & Info" tab across the top of the page).
The article you want is this one How can I find my threads and posts?
 
My son is only 7 now and has Down syndrome. I've had X-rays 3 times but they say no dysplasia. Hoping if so we can do something now to avoid THR
What a shame! But children with Down's do tend to get other abnormalities so you're not totally out of the park with this. Plus, a 7yr old's xray is quite difficult to read if you're not used to it as the femoral head is almost all cartilage and you just can't see what's going on.

If he does have dysplasic hips, sadly the treatment is surgery in the form of osteotomies (cutting the bony pelvis) to realign the pelvis and make the socket deeper. This is one example called a Salter operation but there are many variations - and they all do work!

[Bonesmart.org] Almost 3 weeks post op
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom