Revised PKR to TKR Almost 3 months after partial knee replacement

As good as the last two weeks have been with the right knee, now the left one is driving me crazy. Guess I didn't have that much problems with it, because the muscles are in pretty good shape, but almost 13 years of overloading don't go by without problems. Never had it checked as it was better after the first replacement surgery of my right knee, although I'm pretty sure I do have the same patellofemoral dysplasia in the left knee. Looks like I have to talk with my OS about it when I'm going to see him in about 6 weeks.

There's a small, maybe 1.5cm long cordlike tissue between my scar and the kneecap on the right knee. Gotta have my PT working on it. Weird never had that before...any ideas what it could be?
 
Sorry to hear about your left knee. Mine is playing up too, it actually hurt a lot last night in the cinema whilst my right knee behaved itself quite well for once! I don't know what the cordlike tissue could be. Can you post a photo of it? Someone will know, I'm sure.
 
@Raffs kind of a bummer if you can no longer refer to your knees as good and bad knee if the good one starts to hurt as well...have you ever had your left knee checked out?
Can't post a pic of the weird tissue I'm feeling, it's under the skin
 
I had an MRI scan on it in Nov 2014. Was told then that it wasn't as bad as the right one but would need doing at some point. My OS said to see him when it gets really bad. Isn't at that point yet, thankfully.
 
Hope your left knee is holding up @Raffs

Nothing new here, not really any improvement on flexion over the last two weeks PT says most likely due to swelling that is still visible. I'm icing a lot, but doesn't seem to help at the moment. But it does look better than last year :heehee:
Plan is to go back to work the week after next, for four hrs/day. Next appointment with the OS in about 4 weeks
 
So it's been a few weeks since my last post. Started to work part time, first week 4h/d, second 6h/d, third week 8h/d. Did ok, after going back to my regular schedule I was on vacation for 10 days :yes!:
Got back to work and was in the OR for 14hrs straight on my on call shift, knee didnt like it. Haven't had any improvement on flexion since the beginning of Februrary, patella is touch sensitive where I noticed the maltracking/bumping a couple of weeks ago. Being up on my feet all day isn't that good, standing in the OR during a 2-3 hr surgery without moving much isn't great either, knee feels stiff but there isn't a whole lot more swelling. Pain is ok, don't have to take pain meds during the day, but at night I can't find a comfy sleeping position :scratch:
Going to see the OS again on Monday, have the feeling he's going to tell me I should stay at home.
 
have the feeling he's going to tell me I should stay at home.
Or at least cut back your work hours. You are still very early your recovery, slowing down will help. I cannot imagine standing 14 hours this early.
Let us know what your OS says on Monday.
 
Good luck. What the of work do you do? Be careful and maybe you need more time or a sitting position for a while. Hope all is well


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart Forum
 
OS is happy with the knee, swelling is in the normal range and should resolve itself within the next 2-3months. Flexion is ok as well, he feels a soft stop when flexing my knee. With time and more daily action, I should gain more flexion over the next couple of weeks as well. He doesn't want the swelling to get chronic, so I'll stay at home for the next two weeks and give the knee some more rest.
Guess I'm a little sensitive regarding my knee after all the stuff that happened last year after the first replacement surgery.


@Pumpkln 14 hrs isn't the norm, it's usually 8. When I'm on call the work hrs vary depending on what kind of surgeries come in later that day or at night.

@MsPhyne I'm a nurse working in the OR
 
6 month post op appointment yesterday. Knee feels ok, but not ok ok (if you know what I mean..). Patella is running smooth so that's a great thing as this little thing caused huge problems last year. Flexion hasn't improved, could still be because of the false posture I had over the last year, muscles and ligaments still have to get used to the new anatomy.
Going to see a specialist on Thursday, who's going to have a close look at the ligaments, muscles and lymphatics to see if there's something causing my problems with the flexion. Still swelling in the knee, doc asked if he should drain it, I said no. If it doesn't get worse again.... no need to put a needle into my knee.
 
So I guess it’s time for another update!
Knee is doing very well, I rarely think about it anymore...I can basically do whatever I want, even went downhill skiing in the winter :yes!:
Full extension and close to full flexion, yay! No swelling at all anymore!
So a failed partial doesn’t mean it doesn’t work or has to be revised to a total. I’m very happy with the decision my second surgeon made for me and revised it to a different partial (larger components than the first one, as the bone loss of the first implant had to be covered)
 
Thanks for the up date, happy to hear how well you are doing.
 

Staff online

  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom