THR almost 2 weeks post op<

But you never said how many sessions per day which is what I was really after!
 
1. pain: between 2-3
I see
2. Meds: have been prescribed oxycodone and Tramadol I have not taken any of them just 2 650mg of Tylenol 2-3 times a day which helps
It would be better if you took 1,000mg Tylenol 4 times a day. That is a better regimen than 1300mg 3 times a day. Most beds only stay in the system about 4-5 hours so it pays to take them more frequently. Besides which, you will be taking a bigger dose per 24hrs.

Plus, you are only 3 weeks out and really need extra pain meds. So I suggest you also take 5omgs Tramadol with each dose or less often if you wish.
3. icing: yes less these last few days but before that changing my ice pack every hour our so. My swelling has gone down to minimal
Jolly good.
4. elevating: basically if I am not walking or preparing a meal or moving around. I am in a lounge chair with my leg up but I have been more active these last few days including driving.
Okay
5. activities: basic straightening up, nothing heavy, no vacuuming or such. Simple meal prep, this seems to bother my leg because I'm moving around holding onto counter tops instead of using my cane. Did a load of laundry - someone carried it to the laundry room and back, dog feeding, walking outside a bit, some washing up after meal. Some shopping. Met a friend for lunch twice
FAR too much for three weeks out. Did you ever read the articles Layla left you at the beginning of this thread? I think you probably haven't because you appear to be lacking the information left it there. For instance, this one Activity progression for THRs

exercises: once a day:
butt squeeze x10 reps
heel slides x10 reps
small bridge x10 reps
leg extension x10 reps
tighten quad x10 reps
abduction adduction (snow angels) x10 reps
heel raise x10 reps
standing abduction
squats (holding onto counter) x10
and these - there is a statement/advice with those articles that is very pertinent to this. I'll repeat it here

Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Please follow my advice and you will soon feel much, much better.
 
ok, I will change the meds schedule and will cut out the exercises except for walking. I thought my activities seemed in keeping with the 3rd week. thank you for your time and advice.
Ellen
 
hello all

I am between 10 and 11 weeks out now and still having pain in leg like a deep bone pain in the front upper thigh sometimes sort of reverberating to the knee and still although, not using a cane, find it hard to put full weight on my leg without limping. I can stand with equal weight on both feet and feel no pain at all. I only experience pain when I walk. what a drag :( I have been on some short hikes with walking poles and even went swing dancing one night last week. I am doing some stretching which feels good. I am really needing to get back to physical activity but suffer a bit for it when I do. should I still be taking tylenol or advil? Is this normal at almost 3 months to still be unable to walk well. It certainly wasn't my experience in 2009 when I had my other one done (I know, I know we can't compare!) I would appreciate any feedback

thanks and happy healing to all
 
Reading your latest entry was comforting to me! I'm 10 weeks on Monday and still struggling as well! I'm able to walk without a cane correctly, but it's only for a short while before I resort to limping. Therefore, I use my cane often. Knee pain has been an issue for me too! I was told it's my IT band, which is annoying because I cant cross my legs to stretch it and the ONE standing stretch doesnt seem to stretch it. Grr.

I don't have any advice, but wanted you to know that you're not alone! I've been icing and resting the last few days - seems to help a bit - although I'm antsy to be active.

Keeping you in my thoughts!
 
Let's have @Josephine weigh in on your pain and activity levels.
She'd be best to advise with over 50 yrs experience in Orthopedics.
I've tagged her for you so you'll need to check back periodically.
With the time difference, full schedule and it being the weekend, I'm sure she's playing catch up.
But she's faithful, she'll be around :yes: Hang in there. Sorry you're struggling.
@movingwell
 
Last edited:
I thought my activities seemed in keeping with the 3rd week.
Lots of people do but they pay a high price for it!
I have been on some short hikes with walking poles and even went swing dancing one night last week.
This is tantamount to continuing with the exercises!
I am really needing to get back to physical activity but suffer a bit for it when I do. should I still be taking Tylenol or Advil?
Remember I advised this earlier
It would be better if you took 1,000mg Tylenol 4 times a day.

Is this normal at almost 3 months
Yes it is, specially if you are over-active which you appear to be. Healing needs rest - have you never heard of "rest and recuperation"? Take it easy on yourself. Every time you are over doing it, even a little, you need at least twice that amount of 'rest and recuperation' to recover from it!
 
Movingwell, I am a swing dancer too. When I saw you were swing dancing so soon after surgery I couldn't believe it. Be careful--you don't want to set back your recovery or injure healing parts. I got some advice here from another dancer, and I've decided to let my body heal for at least four months before dancing with full turns, full swing-outs, eight count rock step, etc. That is, I will reassess at four months, and decide then.
 
Hi :wave:
Please let us know how you're doing in a couple weeks.
Hopefully with the meds and taking it easy you'll feel improvement quickly.
A great week to you!
@movingwell
 
thanks, Layla I will. and @An54 the class was learning the Charleston which was probably the worst with all the kicks and turns. I survived it with just some soreness but definitely don't want to do it again for a while. you are smart to wait and I will be too now:))
 
OMG, @movingwell you were doing the Charleston ... kickthroughs and tandems? ... Another Lindy-Charleston fanatic here ... I am so dying to get back to Lindy ... told that to my surgeon and he got excited ... My surgery is in two weeks.

Sorry to hear of your uneven recovery and your lingering pain ... I gotta share something ... which is that I am shocked by how little pain medication you have been taking. There are days when I've taken more Tylenol than you take ... after your surgery! I'm talking days when I've done nothing special ... but my hip aches ... and my ache isn't post-surgery ache ... Pain control and getting ahead of the pain is one of the breakthroughs, as I understand it, of modern hip recovery. People don't like moving when in pain. So the pain control is there so allow for rehab and using the muscles ...

I get why you avoided the opioids ... but can I tease you a little? ... I think your addiction worries (assuming that's what stopped you from taking the opioids) are misplaced ... After all, there is no greater high than dancing swing and Lindy! ... Like literally none.

The highs on a good night with the right dancers are just amazing ... so ... in my view, there was little chance your brain was gonna be hijacked by the opioids ... You've got lots of natural high fun in your life that you're looking forward to ... and surgeons are much more aware of the potential harm of opioids ... but I get the sense that a lot of people who really don't need to be worried about addiction are suffering through pain exactly when they could most benefit from the opioids. Just the fact that you were worried about opioids would help you monitor them.

Well good luck ... hoping your pain will pass and that there's nothing more going on with your hip other than overuse ... and over-eagerness. My surgeon really doesn't see the need for PT. And he's totally into treating athletes ... and dancers! ...
 
@An54, can I offer you this tutorial about quoting people's posts. I've noticed a few times that you don't appear to know how to do it! How to use the quote feature

thanks Josephine! Yes, sometimes I go freestyle and just lift a sentence at a time, italicize it and stick it in quotes, but I guess that means the original poster isn't identified, and the context can be lost, etc.
I believe I also often neglect to properly tag comments with the @ sign, so will do this one properly :) @Josephine
 
Last edited:
Hi all

At 3 months and 1 week I still have pain in groin (although less since taking pain meds again as per Josephine's instructions several weeks back) but worse than that and more stressful is knee pain, mostly pain when I lift leg as in to march. I know it's normal at earlier stages of recovery but is this normal at this stage?

thanks for your support
 
I am a month behind you (thr 7/11/18) and have exactly the same issues! So, I will be following this thread with great interest! I don’t want to live on Tylenol ant more.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom