THR All went well so far<

Status
Not open for further replies.
The NSAIDs - in your case the diclofenac would have been the most likely culprit for the stomach pain. Especially when combined with blood thinners. You may find tramadol or cocodamol very helpful in reducing the bit of pain you have and hopefully, like I've found personally, they don't affect my stomach.
 
My surgeon told me I may end up with one leg shorter, this can happen when you're a short person which I am at 5"1", so you have a limp. A lift in my shoe will be a fair trade-off for a hip that works!
 
@Josephine A little addition to the recovery thread. I still feel uneasy while walking and it feels like something is loose or muscles are rubbing each other due to a little hardness and swelling. Just wanted to know if that is normal as the doc said all will be well with time.
 
I would say that it's simply the swelling and weakness because you are only 2½ weeks out.

I'd like to ask you some questions if you don't mind, and it would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are ....

1. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine. And don't compare this with the bone-on-bone pain you had before surgery! :no-fin:)

2. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

3. how often are you icing your knee and for how long?

4. are you elevating your leg, how often and for how long?

5. What is your ROM - that's flexion (bend) and extension (straightness)

6. how swollen is your leg?
[Bonesmart.org] All went well so far<


7. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

8. what kind of PT exercises and exercises at home are you doing? How much and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example (which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home: (enter number) of sessions each day
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.

At PT
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
enter exercise + enter number of reps and sets
etc., etc.
 
@Josephine ty for your time

Will try to reply to it as precisely as I can.

1). Normally pain levels are very tolerable and remain around 2-3 and rarely goes to 4

2). Earlier had been taking voltral 50mg every 8 hours, Tramadol 50mg every 6 hours. Paracetamol 1000mg every 6 hours. Ascard once daily. Ormaprazol twice daily before meals.
Since stomach went bad had quit all meds for the last one week and m only taking paracetamol on sos basis. Doc has also asked me to take voltral on sos too.

3). I do ice 2-3 times a day around thigh and buttock area for 15 mins each.

4). Doesn't elevate much. Maybe thrice daily for 10mins each.

5). Range of motion is good but have difficulty sometime in lifting leg and do no go beyond 90 deg.

6). I would say slight swelling.

7). I don't do any household activity as everything is taken care and a lot of ppl are looking after. Spend time reading, watching tv, taking care of business remotely.

8). Doesn't do any PT excersise at all apart from ankle pump which I do every hour or so. My doc hasn't asked me to do any excersises but to walk as needed.
I walk as needed or just roam around the house. Doesn't climb stairs at all.

Hope I have been precise and clear on the reply.
 
@uamin Thank you, you answered them perfectly! But I'm terribly sorry - I left you knee questions!
1). Normally pain levels are very tolerable and remain around 2-3 and rarely goes to 4
I see
2). Earlier had been taking Voltral 50mg every 8 hours, Tramadol 50mg every 6 hours. Paracetamol 1000mg every 6 hours.
Since stomach went bad had quit all meds for the last one week and am only taking paracetamol on sos basis. Doc has also asked me to take voltral on sos too.
I see - all good. I said before that nothing you were taking would affect your stomach except the Volterol (diclofenac) which is an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) which are well known to do that and the reason you would have been prescribed the omeprazole. Thus you should be perfectly safe taking Tramadol and paracetamol. However, since the paracetamol appears to have your pain levels at a good level anyway, I'd stick with what you are doing. But please do NOT take Volterol as it is dangerous for you. Medications: acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) and NSAIDs, differences and dangers.
3). I do ice 2-3 times a day around thigh and buttock area for 15 mins each.
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
4). Doesn't elevate much. Maybe thrice daily for 10mins each.
The same as for icing. 10 minutes is useless.
7). I don't do any household activity as everything is taken care and a lot of ppl are looking after. Spend time reading, watching tv, taking care of business remotely.
Very good!
8). Doesn't do any PT exercise at all apart from ankle pump which I do every hour or so. My doc hasn't asked me to do any exercises but to walk as needed.
I walk as needed or just roam around the house. Don't climb stairs at all.
That's perfect! But the ankle pumps are just anti-clot exercises and since you are now fairly active, you don't need to do these any more.
I still feel uneasy while walking and it feels like something is loose or muscles are rubbing each other due to a little hardness and swelling
I see nothing in your answers that would account for this. Other than that you're still very early out and just underwent major surgery. You'd be likely to continue feeling like this for another 3-4 weeks although it should lessen bit by bit. Just don't rush it. You're doing fine.
 
@Josephine m back after a long break. Have recovered very well so far. 11 weeks past and m feeling a lot better and a lot of issues are almost resolved. Had few other complications to do with cervical and upper back pains but hip is almost back to the normal.
M still using cane for long walks just for a little support and will quit it completely in a week or two.
I wish if I wud have got it done earlier.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom