TKR Alfie's Dec 2 recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there, Alfie! So are you still on any pain meds? I noticed you asked earlier what the "norm" is and I have to say, I don't think there is one! I know some people here are off narcotics in the first week or two - but I hit my 1-month anniversary yesterday and I am still on OxyContin and Oxycodone. I have tried to cut back, and been successful there - but when I go longer than 6 hours without the Oxycodone, I am in considerable pain. Didn't take my OxyContin last night (it is extended release, so I am meant to take twice per day) and I was awake every two hours with stabbing knee pain. I have had arthroscopic knee surgery, emergency back surgery and a huge abdominal surgery to remove a large fibroid (4-day hospital stay) and through all of that, I have never been on narcotics for longer than a couple of weeks. The way I feel now, I could see me remaining on these for another 3-4 weeks. Not happy about that, but I have to do my PT and remain active.

My incision is numb, as well. Twice per day, I take a soft towel and rub my knee with it for a minute or so and I gently massage the sides & top of the scar to break down the knots in the scar, and to desensitize it. I have noticed feeling returning a little - slowly, but definitely returning.

I can't imagine signing up to have my right knee done - ever. LOL! Seriously, this has been brutal and I have had so many weird things happen, there is just no way I could face another one anytime soon. Luckily, my OS thinks I can get a few more good years out of that knee and wants to scope it this year. Even that makes me cringe, and that's nothing compared to TKR! :)

Hope you continue progressing!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Congrats on your 100 and continued progress! :thumb:
 
I haven't visited here in weeks because there hasn't been much to share.
However, tomorrow is my 12-week anniversary for my shiny new knee! I am feeling so much better - usually. There are still tough days where I know I have done too much and need to rest. We're deep in winter here, so excursions outside the house are limited due to the snow, ice and slush. I am petrified of slipping and falling and being unable to get up.
My last in-home PT appt. is tomorrow (in Ontario we receive 8 home visits over 3 months through our provincial health care) and I think my flex might be at 120. I managed 110 two weeks ago and the therapist was quite pleased with that. I'm coping better around the house as well, adding more cooking and cleaning as time goes on. I still spend a great deal of time in my recliner every day and look forward to an afternoon nap daily. Boredom has now become the issue because I can't get outside safely on my own.
My right knee continues to cause much pain and I still take percocets to get me through my days. My left knee still gets VERY tight and painful, especially if I walk too much or sit with my legs bent for more than an hour.
Favourite husband and I got away last weekend to Erie, PA for a change of scenery and some retail therapy. I used the store scooter carts at Walmart and Wegmans. While at the mall, we rented a wheelchair at customer service (the best $3 I spent all day).
I'm finally feeling up to having company and we hope to have another couple over for dinner this coming weekend. It won't be anything fussy for supper, perhaps a casserole of some kind.
Instead of our usual June road trip vacation, we're considering an off-season trip to the Caribbean; perhaps the Dominican Republic or Cuba. It would be a 4 to 5 hour flight plus the shuttle to the resort. Has anyone here done something similar and do you have any advice? Is renting a wheelchair to take with us a good idea?
The best news was learning my employer insurance FINALLY approved my long-term disability - 6 months after applying and 3 months after their initial denial. The financial stress has lifted!
 
Hi Alfie,

Sounds like you're doing pretty well. I had my RTKR right about the same time as you, Dec. fifth. I have been back at work since three weeks out and am glad, but it takes a toll on my knee and leg. I still get quite swollen and stiff. I am really looking forward to a complete recovery and often fear that I am as recovered as I am going to get.

I did suffer an injury at 7 weeks out that I think has set me behind. I use a crutch pretty much all the time because my knee feels so weak. My biggest thing is that I too am still using percocets, 5 mg, every night. I can't seem to sleep without them because of the pain which is so much more bothersome in bed than anytime else. I was off of them before falling after PT 4 weeks ago and unfortunately needed to get right back on them. I am using up my initial supply prescribed to me when I left rehab. I was prescribed up to 20mg every four hours as needed, so I had quite a supply. Using 5mg only at night has made them really last but I'm about out now.

I fear two things: 1-I won't be able to sleep when they're gone and I'll be unable to get a new script. and, 2-that I'll be addicted or something after all this time and will get sick when they're gone. Do you worry about this? Has anyone been here, a low dose for a long time once nightly?

Anyhow, keep fighting the good fight and hang in there. Patience is, as they say, a virtue. I know I need to remind myself of that daily and even though I am working, I am ready to blow up my recliner!!!!
 
Good morning @Reich4313. Your return to work at 3 weeks is courageous, to say the least. I was still using the walker at that point. I, too, still have a lot of stiffness and tightness and look forward to it going away eventually.
My PT got me to 110 with some gentle pushing last week, so I was disappointed I didn't reach 120.
Definitely check with your GP for a script renewal - especially because you are coping on one pill a day. I'm not an addictions expert but I certainly don't think you can or will get addicted with such a low dose. If your doc refuses, he may be more comfortable prescribing a Tylenol 2 or 3 (with codeine). Tylenol 1s are available OTC here in Canada, but I think they are prescription-only in the U.S. The 2s and 3s are slightly stronger and are often used here for dental pain and the like.
I've been taking percocets (5mg X 2, three times daily = 6) for at least 2 years due to chronic pain in the hip/back from a fall down a flight of metal and concrete stairs and 2 lousy knees. Once home from hospital I was taking 12 daily. As my healing progressed I naturally tapered down to 8 daily, which is where I am now (at least until early April, then I may get cut back to 6 daily again). Even though my new knee is healing on schedule, I still get stabbing pain. The hip is unfixable and my next TKR won't be until the fall at the earliest.
To further set your mind at rest as to addiction, I anticipate being on percs for at least the next year or two. I take them as needed, not by a daily schedule - despite walking and standing quite a bit yesterday, it was 7 hours before I took 2 more for the pain.
Good luck with your healing and I truly hope your doctor is understanding and refills for you.
 
Instead of our usual June road trip vacation, we're considering an off-season trip to the Caribbean; perhaps the Dominican Republic or Cuba. It would be a 4 to 5 hour flight plus the shuttle to the resort. Has anyone here done something similar and do you have any advice?
Hi @Alfie
Good to hear that you are making steady progress!

I've done several long flights with my new knees. Here's an article from the library that might help:
Flying soon after surgery

From personal experience:
  • Wheelchair assistance at the airport is good - those corridors are very long
  • Try to get an aisle seat, so you can get up easily and walk around regularly
  • Anti-DVT socks are a good idea
  • Keep doing ankle pumps and moving your legs while you are seated
  • Stay well-hydrated - plenty of non-alcoholic fluids
  • Ice and pain meds are a good idea
  • Be prepared to spend longer going through security - those metal knees will probably sound the alarms - so arrive at the airport early.
PS: Please will you help us by putting your surgery type and date in your Signature? That way, we can easily see what surgery you had, and when you had it. Here's how to do it:
How to create a signature
Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom