Guest viewing is limited

TKR Adventures with a new right knee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday, I went for my two-week post-op appointment with the PA. The bandage came off, and I saw my scar for the first time. I think I expected it to be a tidy, straight line — the bandage had looked so neat and clean. But noooOOooo, it looked just as scraggly as everyone else's does at this stage. It can only improve from here.

I was worried about having to sit for extended times all day without elevating my leg. The whole trip there and back took a total of about 3 1/2 hours. (A large portion of that was waiting for my prescription to be refilled.:bored:) Though my knee was fairly stiff for the rest of the day, it didn't seem to hurt any extra. I gave it a break, doing no exercise the rest of the day, and elevating and icing as much as I could.

Speaking of icing, my ice-therapy machine was finally delivered! :egypdance:So many people are enthusiastic about them here at BoneSmart; I can't wait to get it working full-time! I did try it out for a couple of hours this afternoon — it really is nice! I'll start a full regimen of icing tomorrow, after the water bottles have been frozen overnight.

Today during physical therapy, I found I could lift my (somewhat) straight leg up off the recliner all by myself! Three days ago, I needed help to do that. I'm ready for the cancan now! :chuckmarch:
 
@PrincessTia Congrats on post op visit I had to go to Dr 2 times last week and it takes a lot of energy getting ready, travel to and from, etc. Also congrats on being able to lift straight leg off recliner. My log leg is improving as well. Still not 100% but better. Small accomplishments that feel so good. Nott sure I am ready for the can can :chuckmarch:but I will keep practicing. I have a polar care ice machine and I love it. Take care.
 
@PrincessTia @Minnie's knees I am a bit confused about putting bottles in the ice machine. Do you mean you freeze the bottles when full with water and put the full bottles straight in the machine? I was going to freeze ice cubes but your way might be easier.
Glad you are both doing so well.
 
@SuperSnapper yes, I bought 8 water bottles (4 stay frozen all the time- just keep re- freezing them) specifically for the ice machine. Pour a little out of each bottle the first time to allow for expansion as they freeze. We put the water in as directed, then 4 frozen water bottles then fill with ice cubes as directed. This helps not to use so many ice cubes. I fill my ice machine 2 - 3 times a day and use gel packs in between if needed or in another room for a little while. It stays cold for several hours.
 
PrincessTia, please:

You should never describe your house as "ticky-tacky". Instead, you must say "cottage style", or "vintage"!

(I like that they added a great room on the house, it makes all the difference!)

And great report from the doctor's visit. My scar is crooked, too, it zig-zags over my knee cap. I'm like really? Couldn't that medical student be a little more tidy?
 
@Minnie's knees Mine is a Polar Care, too! It really is a lovely feeling just to have my knee wrapped in soothing chill. Is yours the Cube? I was wondering how long the ice and frozen bottles would last. Unfortunately, my icemaker can't keep up with my need for ice! :ice: (I drink a lot of ice water as well as using it for my knee.) I think I will have my helper stop and get a bag of ice to help it out. But room in the freezer is at a premium, because of food stockpiled in there.

@Jane B. Oh, would that it were "cottage style" or even "vintage"! I called it "ticky-tacky" because I have tried in vain for 24 years to see some sort of character in this post-war suburban tract home, and Malvina Reynolds's song "Little Boxes" is the most apt description I've been able to find. Mind you, I do call it that with affection.:angel:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@PrincessTia yes I have the polar care cube. It does use a lot of ice. The water bottles help so it doesn't take as much ice. We are buying ice every other day to supplement our ice maker as freezer is also full. Glad you like it. I couldn't decide whether or not to buy it but so glad I did.
 
Frozen water bottles are genius!! I'm starting to make some tonight. We live way out in the country and my husband had ACL repair and we couldn't keep up. Hope you are progressing well!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Princess, my knee spasms all the time. It comes on suddenly and is painful. And then it is over.

I planned the first time out driving, I was supposed to take our son to the airport. Instead I was rolling around on our bed moaning and groaning with a spasm. My husband walked in and said, "I guess you aren't going to the airport..."

THIS DARN KNEE!!!!
@Jane B. What does a spasm feel like? The other day we were in the car when I suddenly felt like I was electrocuted. It occurred in the outside of the new knee. I spontaneously yelled, "ouch!" It was a sharp jolt, like what a stun gun would feel like.
 
Yeah, Mo, that would be right. But spasms can go on "repeat".

I wrote awhile ago about hanging out one day with the dogs and I had a spasm like you did. I yelped and sat upright and the dogs did too!

The spasms I had instead of going to the airport were brutal, about a 9 on the pain scale. They stopped and started for about five minutes. I was literally clutching the quilt. Most of my spasms occurred at the top of the tibia where the device meets the bone.

It's much, much better now. Now I'm pretty good all day, except for standing still. I have trouble standing still for extended periods of time. I'm fine when walking.

And I'm usually uncomfortable in the evening. Last night I wore a neoprene velcro wrap brace to bed, just to see if it helped reduce the funny movement issues, in the middle of the night. It seemed to help, but who knows?
 
@Jane B. Thank you for explaining what the was. I still have swelling and pain, too. Nights are bad. I find myself very stiff if I sit for a period of time, but then I stand up for relief, but then I get uncomfortable standing, too.
 
@Minnie's knees Thanks for asking, I know it's been a while since I posted on my own thread. Every evening I come here to BoneSmart, determined to write an update, but then I get to reading everyone else's recovery threads, and run out of time before I get sleepy! :yawn: I don't know how all of you do it! :scratch:

I'm actually doing very well, halfway into my fourth week post op. I just started practicing with the cane today; my physical therapist said I should practice only when someone else is in the house, and otherwise keep using the walker. It suits me, except the walker is so bulky and gets in the way whenever I want to try doing something in the kitchen. (I think your OS is maybe trying to make you into an overachiever, having you walk with a cane at two and three weeks, especially after your log leg! Don't be afraid to go slower than they think you should!)

I still live in the recliner these days, keeping my right leg elevated and iced as much as possible. I'm not dealing with a whole lot of extra swelling, just a little bit around the joint itself. I haven't felt pain in a long time, and have been tapering off the pain medications. I usually sleep through the night, and I figure if I can miss not just one but two doses of meds without feeling any extra pain in the morning, I don't really need them!

I have one more session with my home PT, then next week I will start outpatient PT. I haven't got to 90° flexion yet, but today she measured it at 87°, so I'm getting close! My extension is at 5°, which I think of as a minor miracle. When I get the second knee done, I'll be able to stand up straighter than I have in years. :thumb:

I've reduced the hours for my home caregivers to three hours in the morning only, down from an eight-hour split shift each day. They make all of this sooooo much easier: cooking and cleanup, taking my laundry to be done, keeping up with shopping, running out to get ice, etc. I still struggle with filling the ice therapy machine on my own; I haven't figured out a good way to haul it to the kitchen and back yet. I've managed with balancing it on the tray that I got for my walker and pushing it SLOWLY across the room. There was someone on here—I can't remember who it was—that dealt with the thing by shoving it across the floor in increments in front of her walker. Now that is determination!

Unfortunately, I am still taking sponge baths. :oyvey:But! My handyman came today and installed grab bars in the bathroom for me; now that I have those and a tub transfer bench, I am looking forward to a Real Shower(tm) tomorrow morning! :egypdance:

I hope you have a restful evening!
 
@PrincessTia It sounds like you are doing very well and I am so glad to hear it. Regarding the ice machine do you have anything that rolls or slides like one of the plant holders or a small laundry basket that is big enough to set your ice machine on/in?. Then you could attach a strap and pull it along. Just an idea. You may just have to get inventive. That first real shower is going to feel so good. Just be careful, it was a real energy drain for me. Maybe have your home care giver nearby just in case you get weak or light headed. Keep up the good work.
 
@Minnie's knees We got wrapped up in making shopping lists etc this morning, so I was thinking of taking my shower after Cheryl had gone. But you make me realize that I do need to have someone here when I do it. So I will reluctantly have to put off that shower for one more day. :groan:

I actually do have some of those little platforms with wheels that you can use for heavy plants etc., and I've been thinking about how to use one with that ice machine. The problem is that the room I'm in is rather thickly carpeted, and I know from experience that just pulling something on one of those platforms will pull it off the platform entirely, especially if it's on a surface like carpeting. But one of the things that Cheryl is getting for me during her errands today is a set of bungee cords; I plan to use those to attach the ice machine to the platform, and see how that will work. Keep your fingers crossed! :fingersx:
 
I have a question for all you kneesies out there. My friend invited me to come for Thanksgiving dinner with her, including driving to pick me up and then take me home after. The problem is her car is pretty low to the ground, as so many are these days, and I'm not sure I will be able to get in or out. Thanksgiving will mark my fifth week since surgery, but I don't think I will have the strength in either of my knees to propel me up from such a low position. (I often struggled with this before the surgery.)

Does anyone know of any tricks or tips that might help the situation? I do have one of those HandyBars (see picture) that help you lever up out of a car seat, but I'm not sure that would help. I'd love to hear any ideas that you have, whether or not you've actually tried them!

[Bonesmart.org] Adventures with a new right knee
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I did finally take my shower yesterday! It felt so good I thought I'd break into song or yodeling or something, but I didn't want to scare my caregiver.
[Bonesmart.org] Adventures with a new right knee
Afterwards, I felt weak and tired, but very, very clean. I ended up sleeping a few hours, and not doing much of anything the rest of the day.

I did talk to the surgery scheduler yesterday, because I hadn't heard anything about the second surgery yet. It turns out that with the holidays coming up and a short nurses' strike, the list of patients had kind of piled up. So I will be getting my surgery in January instead of next month. I kind of wanted to get it going and over with, but this will give me a chance to recover a little more before the next assault.

Today marks four weeks since my surgery; my home PT therapist is coming for the last time. Next week, I will start outpatient PT. I will need to arrange transportation with my caregivers, once I know the schedule.

Speaking of which, I've solved the dilemma of getting to my friend's house on Thanksgiving. My caregiver is willing to transport me over there and then pick me up later. I am so glad for all the members of my team, including all of you here at BoneSmart! :flwrysmile:
 
Cindy,

I'm so glad you solved the problem of getting to Thanksgiving supper. You have an awesome caregiver! At just 4 weeks, I was still sitting in a chair for my shower. (Now if I want to shave my legs I do it in the bathtub). It was the drying off, putting on deodorant and lotion, and putting product in my hair and combing it that did me in. It gets easier every time.

I cannot imagine getting my other knee done so soon, although having it in the same insurance year would be helpful, money wise.

You seem to be doing pretty well. Sometimes I think I'm just a big baby. -- Joni
 
@PrincessTia glad you got your shower and a nap. That's great that your caregiver can help you on Thanksgiving. It will be good for you to get out and visit with your friend.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom