Guest viewing is limited

Hip Arthroscopy Activitygirl's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you still do yoga after a THR? So many of the warrior poses and cross leg poses are prohibited after THR.
 
Hi Activitygirl,
Your surgeon is the best person to give you advice on that. Many do return to Yoga, modifying some of the poses.
Since each of us is different, as are our recoveries and your surgeon has access to your health records, he will be best equipped to evaluate your progress, determining if / when it's safe for you to resume Yoga.
You can use the SEARCH at the top right of the page typing in key words or phrases, example "yoga" and threads where it's been mentioned will pop up.
Hope this helps!
@Activitygirl
 
Can THR heal a partial thickness tear in the gluteus medius?
What is the chance of the gluteal tear happening again after THR?
 
Hi again Activitygirl,
You really will get the best advice on this through your surgeon. Consider making a list of questions so you don't forget any and give the office a call. I am sure they will have some answers for you, or advise you make an appointment to come in and speak about your concerns and hopefully ease your mind. :)
@Activitygirl
 
Great news, Activitygirl!
Thanks for leaving an update. You're doing well. May it only get better. :thumb:
Enjoy the weekend!
@Activitygirl
 
6 weeks post PRP in left hip. Pain has gone from a 8-9 before procedure to a 2 with mild morning stiffness. Continue to improve daily. Now walking a mile every day, doing yoga with modifications to protect my hip as well stretching and strengthening exercises for my hips. Procedure cost $650 out of pocket. So far worth every penny not to have more surgery.
 
So I started having the left hip pain again for the past 2 nights waking me up. I had PRP injection in my left hip on 1/22/25. I am continuing with the flexibilty and strengthening exercises at home.
I know that there will be a THR in my future. Also have a partial thickness tear in the Gluteus Medius. Had a complete tear 5 years ago with surgical repair. I am pretty active , walk a mile a day, daily yoga..I also travel at least five times a year. How long does the recovery from a THR take. How long is post procedure therapy. Dont want to have a 2-3 month rehab after this.
 
I suggest you start reading some threads in the Hip Recovery Forum to get an accurate picture of the recovery period.

Since you may begin to have questions and concerns about an upcoming hip replacement, I suggest you upgrade your BoneSmart membership to the Insiders Club so that you can take advantage of our personalized support for you from pre-op through recovery. Any concerns are addressed by our experienced staff in 24 hours or less (usually much less than 24 hours). Plus you'll have access to the hundreds of articles in the BoneSmart Library and surgery planning tools to make things easier for you. You will be able to start threads when you have these questions instead of posting in this old thread for a 2021 procedure. Please check out the subscription options on our Membership Page. There is a link to join once you review the subscriptions.
 
Hi there @Activitygirl

I really recommend joining... I'm not on commission :heehee:

I joined as a basic member 6 months ago at the stage when I was anxious about committing to THR. I wasn't really getting adequate support and information from my GP here in the UK and exhausted attempts to improve my situation via physio. Despite finding an excellent physiotherapist.

I joined as an Insider before surgery. I'm now 2 weeks post surgery and I can say hand on heart, I wouldn't have gotten through it with any sanity left, if it wasn't for the support of this caring and dedicated team at Bonesmart. During my recovery they have held my hand every step of the way. Always ready to offer up invaluable information but more often than not, a shoulder to lean on, a tissue for the tears and a huge boost of motivation to keep on going.

As Jamie said, read up carefully. Every recovery is different and it's not as simple as a correlation between progress made and the level of fitness going in. I've read threads where a super fit person faces a mammoth challenge of a recovery. Other times, someone goes in barely walking and on the other side of surgery bounces into activity with the stamina of an olympic athlete. They say it's a year long recovery, we go in having some expectations on what we may be able to do at what stage but no two hip journeys are the same.

One last consideration. Don't assume you will stand still at your current level of difficulty. Hips are notorious for declining overnight with little warning. That's what happened to me.
 
Agree with Jamie & Deni, there's so much information about pre-op & post-op here I only wish I had found it long before I needed surgery.
And I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer but each recovery is different & if you are considering a replacement you should realize many recoveries are not fast. Hip replacement definitely put a "pause" on my everyday activities for first few months then as time progresses things get better but as already mentioned you will have different recovery from anyone else. We all share similarities but we each have different challenges.
All my best with your decision.
 
So I am thinking that a THR is in my future but I have so many questions.
Do you have to prevent bending over past 90 degrees long term or just post op healing. Do you need to use a raised toilet seat for long term or just post op recovery?
 
@Activitygirl …

While I appreciate that you have a lot of unanswered questions about what may be ahead, you may not have seen our recent emails announcing a new 2-tier membership program for BoneSmart. When we implemented the program, all existing members were automatically placed in the Basic Member category. This means you are able to use BoneSmart’s search feature to look for and read threads that interest you. And you can post in existing threads on the forum. But to receive the personalized guidance and support you’re looking for (including assistance from our experienced staff of recovery counselors), you’ll need to join the Insiders Club. Please see our Guidelines for Posting and Membership Page for additional information. BoneSmart is still a non-profit organization and the small subscription fee to obtain this premium level of support is what will keep BoneSmart on the internet to help people around the world. I hope you can find a subscription option that suits your needs.

If you choose to remain as a Basic Member, you’ll either need to do searches of threads in the forum for this topic or hope that another member sees your posts and responds. But be aware that the questions you are asking fall under our definition of medical advice and this is not something another member can respond to unless they are strictly talking about their experience with hip replacement surgery and not advising you in any way. However, as an Insider, our staff will be available immediately to comment, answer questions, and address any concerns you may have about hip replacement surgery.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • sistersinhim
    Staff member since March 20, 2017
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom