Guest viewing is limited

TKR Accidental manipulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minpins

junior member
Joined
Nov 6, 2012
Messages
56
Age
65
Location
Bridgewater MA
Gender
Female
Country
United States United States
Of course I'm kidding I've been home 3 wks ltkr. 2 days ago took a stair like I could walk normally and BAM I can't even begin to explain the pain except to say yes a manip without any anesthesia. Now I lay here iced and elevated and of course medicated I'm so upset with myself I was doing good much better than rtkr on May 6 2012 and now my knee is like a basketball and sore isn't the word. Has anybody else done this and I don't think so but should I be worried about anything? I don't post much sorry if I did this wrong. :headbang: :gaah: Thanks Paula
 
Well I have to say the title of your thread grabbed my attention! At least you still have a sense of humor Post AMWA (accidental manipulation WITHOUT anesthesia :gaah: ). I'm no expert, just a TKR patient, but I think if you just really flexed it in alignment you are probably fine. Just ice it and go easy. But a call to your OS couldn't hurt and might make you feel better.

I didn't have this happen to me but I've read lots of similar stories on other member's threads, everything from falls to accidentally losing control of the leg when getting into bed.

Go easy today! And enjoy the spectacular weather we are getting here in Massachusetts :)
 
Paula, this happened to RestAssured Sonja once when stepping out of a hot tub. I don't think that she got hurt but she did increase her ROM. I tagged her, maybe she will chime in. Sometimes I wish that I'd have an accidental MUA but I don't know if that would be a good thing or not. Just gets so frustrating when the ROM is not there! Hope you feel better soon, I'd keep icing and elevating at this point.
 
Hello! Yes, I was getting out of a hot tub and it had these wooden sides that stuck up way above it! It was meant to be a rustic cabin, so that was the tub and shower! :yikes:

Anyway, I caught my right leg on the edge on the wood and bent that sucker all the way to my butt! Had never gone that far before, but it did then! No permanent damage, just a lot of screaming for hubby to get in there to "unstick" my foot! :heehee:
 
I did a similar MWA, Minpins. The good news is that it was ok the next day.
 
Ahh yes......the ole dreaded MWA. There is a reason you don't hear about the MWA.
IT HURTS LIKE HE**. :gaah:
If you knew one was inevitable, you'd walk around with pillows strapped to your body. But they are looming.......always ready to s-l-i-p........ argggggghh. But the "without" part is the only concern. The added manipulation will not hurt the implant or the joint.......just you. And don't fret......as the muscles and tendons tighten and strengthen.....any incidents of MWA will diminish. When farther out in recovery, I even found myself doing some slow controlled MWA's, on purpose just to stretch the joint some.
So, just consider the event a reassuring example of how durable the joint is......still I would avoid YOGA for awhile. :spin:
 
Any damage will be soft tissue only. You'd have to almost take a sledge hammer to the knees to do them any serious harm.
 
Definitely still in pain as well as swollen more. That certainly is something I hope I DON'T do again lol. Icing, icing and icing feel like I did when I first came home ugh! Oh well thank GOD I didn't fall! Thanks :spin:
 
I have done both and if I HAVE to choose, :heehee: , I will choose accidental manipulation also!
 
OMG, AMWA was always my biggest fear for years pre-op and even a scarier thought post op. this is a good reminder to be very careful. I always wondered what would happen if it did occur. I always thought something would snap. Thanks for sharing these posts.
 
Well I can tell you the shock is unbeliavable you are in the process and can't stop it lol. I never thought of something snapping Ik the knees are super strong but holy cow it's a good thing they are. I did sit for about 20 minutes on stairs my family didn't know what to do or say so of course some really dumb remarks were made and I bit my tongue. I've been icing not much you can do I'm just really emotional lately so I was super AGGRIVATED with myself and have had some good crying jags :boohoo: This is my second knee I find I have less patience but oh well the process must continue. :gaah: paula
 
Lol, I actually have a visual of this story, picturing the family just standing around looking at you in shock. Yeah, I think it would be the same thing for me if this happened to me except the language coming out of my mouth would be very "colorful". Plus, this is your 2nd knee! I'm not sure I'm brave enough to go through this again.
 
Oh my language was colorful lol. You know for me this second knee has been emotionally worse on me. My first time its the unknown but now I have used up my patience very emotional wondering if I'll ever feel good physically or emotionally again. Being honest with myself I know I have a ways to go I just didn't have a choice about the second as a matter of fact I guess left was worse which is not what dr thought. So cant fix one not the other. Funny everybody oh you are so lucky you have the pool it's the summer but you know I've been doing this for over a yr between the 2 and I'm struggling emotionally but I do read these posts to get me thru I just don't post as much and let everything out I probably should. I'm told this will get better I'm trying to be a believer and I try to focus on one day at time I look ahead I get sooooo down! So in all actuality the accidental mra wasn't so bad lol Thanks for this site to vent I need it especially lately!!!
 
i had a manipulation under anesthesia after my medial patellar femoral ligament replacement. i had also pulled out an anchor somehow...despite being told they are virtually impossible to pull out!!!!! after hearing your story...i'm taking the anesthesia every time. OUCH! glad you are ok!!!!
 
Minpins
How are you feeling now after your accidental manipulation? :)

Better I hope!
 
Actually still pretty sore but ironically they think I need a legit one I did have one for rtkr but I am begging off for now and am going to try to work on my pt a little more religiously,I will admit I am a horrible patient :tada: I said it out loud lol. Paula Thanks
 
Paula,

ROM can be slow going for a lot of people! I know that both of my OS's said "the ROM" will come, give it time. That was before surgery when I was asking questions. They never mentioned MUA. People on these boards continue improving even a year after surgery without an MUA. I wouldn't rush into anything. After all, it is your knee and your decision! :)
 
hi , hope you are feeling better the same happened to me at 5 wks post op going upstairs and the crutch slipped causing my knee miss the step oooooch it did hurt :groan: my knee swelled and was warm to touch and put me on bed rest for 2 days after ice rest and elevation the pain eased off and is ok now i was very worried i had done some damage i guess it was some soft tissue that was stretched on the inside :) best wishs for good healing
 
Hi i did the same 2 days out of hospital and i have never shouted so loud in my life. I cried for ages afterwards and my poor hubbie got such a shock. wont be doing that again!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom