Guest viewing is limited

TKR A quick hello!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, that is right except the entire LFD4 area is involved.

When I have the pain that feels like something is out of place, I manuver my knee until it feels like its back in place. Fortunately, it only takes a few seconds, but its incredibly painful in the meantime.

The PA mentioned I might have an infection. Of course I know what an infection is, but what does it mean in terms of my knee? I'm still waiting on my results.
 
Please don't jump the gun on the idea of infection. It would be serious, but not something that cannot be dealt with. When a knee joint becomes infected, the course of action depends on the surgeon's evaluation of the problem. Options for treatment of an infected joint include strong courses of antibiotics, a knee flush-out, or possibly a revision (one or two stage process). Please don't assume that any of these things are in the cards for you until a determination has been made, though.

Here is an article from the BoneSmart Library that will provide additional information for you:

Knee Infection: What happens when a knee becomes infected
 
I haven't posted the past few days because of work, and when I wasn't working, I've been elevating my knee. I got the results of my fluid (blood) culture today and the results are.....inconclusive. The OS's nurse said that he will probably do it again to compare the numbers. I have no idea what that means. @Josephine, or anyone else who understands this, can you help me please? All I know is that my knee hurts terribly and it's very depressing to think that perhaps my surgery was in vain. Thanks.
 
It's not uncommon for these tests to be inconclusive and has no inference one way or the other.
Have you been on any antibiotics recently? For any purpose? That often blurs the picture.
 
I'm discouraged, mad, and don't know what to do. Went for follow up with PA yesterday. He said the results of my aspiration shows borderline infection. He then aspirated the same amount of blood as he did 10 days ago. He asked me to come back in after the OP got there to have to have him look at. Perhaps a CT scan was in order. They did x-rays. They were normal. While I was waiting I heard them talking about my knee. The PA asked if he wanted just a cell count and/or a culture. HUH?? The first thing the OP said he wanted to prescribe an anti-inflammatory. Told him he already did at the beginning of April and they didn't work, hence, my visit 10 days ago. He then said he wanted me to do PT to build up the muscles around the knee. Funny, my husband told me a couple of weeks ago that he can see how work has built up my leg muscles. Said 'I've done that twice' and I get plenty of PT at work. Suggested I take a month off from work and gave me an RX for Tramadol. Am I crazy? Is he as wrong as I think he is? I know my body and something is not right. @Josephine, other members, what do you think I should do?:shrug:
 
From my own experience with an infection I think a cell count will tell if your body is fighting an infection and a culture will tell if there is an infection and the type of infection, which will tell the drs. how to combat the infection. I would want the culture because it can take some time to grow and then contact an infectious disease doctor if there is an infection as they specialize in the kind of antibiotic works on different infections. But didn't they already grow a culture? @Josephine will be able to give you the correct information though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, they did do a culture, which the PA said was borderline infection. Maybe they didn't a blood count last time?All I know is that I'm quickly losing faith in my OS who has a very good reputation. On top of everything else, he told me I don't need to come back for a month. My knee is already beginning to swell after 24 hours. I can't imagine what it will be like in a month.
 
I suggest you contact broken link removed: https://www.dfwsarcoma.com/ in Plano TX. He is the 'go-to' person for these kinds of issues. He will look at your records and xrays and give you his opinion by phone or email if you can't travel to see him. I do strongly recommend you contact him and ask his opinion.
 
I found out yesterday that the numbers from the second culture are higher than the first and the OS wants to see me next Wed. YIKES! That's all I know as it was an office assistant who called.
 
Are you even considering contacting Maale? You seem to be ignoring it. :angel:
 
I'm definitely considering getting in touch with him! I've been to his website and looked up a few things in his library. I don't know why, but I'm thinking it might be best to find out the results of the second culture before I do. Should I wait or contact him now? Thanks.
 
Oh I'm so pleased but why wait? get in touch with his office now and ask him what info he wants sent on.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom