A month away from total hip replacement and I'm getting cold feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sending good wishes to all of you/us.
I have an OP scheduled March 20. I read a hip replacement operation book (not the actual operation I'm not that nuts) before I went to bed last night and I felt such terror, it was like gut terror, like when you take a step in the fog and realize you just put your foot over a huge void about a thousand feet from the bottom. I then calmed myself down enough to get to sleep whereupon I dreamed the dentist gave me a pair of clown pants that were huge.

I think I'll be a complete nervous wreck soon. Thanks for being here.
 
@kittyroma.....the waiting is truly the worst part of the whole thing. The operation itself is really a bit of a non event....it's over before you know it....and I too was terrified!! @scubysteve gave me a tip about an app called Headspace...a sort of meditation/ positive thoughts app.....it really helped me clear my mind of all THOSE thoughts...and we all have them. Take care..Chrissie xx
 
@kittyroma I found if i have too much downtime, my mind just goes into overdrive on my upcoming surgery. I laid in bed this morning at 7 and it started so I just got up and was like "Sue don't go there" haha. I have read so much on this site the most that stuck was that the waiting truly is the worst part and I am going to hold onto that. Hang in there :)

@Hoppy Nanny .....downloading that app....can only help im sure...So thank you for sharing.
 
@kittyroma I hear you about the pre-op thoughts going all over the place. I was a basket case with fear over the surgery. I had really scary worst-case thoughts about everything, especially at night when trying to sleep. Someone on here recommended Bellaruth Naperstek's CDs about preparation for surgery. I ordered from Amazon and found they helped me a lot. I would play the CD with headphones when I went to bed and listen as I was trying to fall asleep. It not only helped block the crazy thoughts, but helped me to relax and let go. It's a very supportive CD, and I subsequently ordered a couple of her other CDs and have found them all very helpful.

The waiting IS the worst part. The surgical experience was a walk in the park compared to my terrified thoughts about how it might be. Truly!

You'll be so glad you had the surgery. Really, you WILL!

Peace and love to you.
 
I've been much calmer since I stopped thinking. A friend gave me a phrase to say over and over again, it's called the Loving Kindness meditation. I've been using it on the bus, and when I go to bed and wake up in the morning, it's helped, because it averts bad thoughts of scary scenarios which I'm so good at imagining, this way I can't sit and obsess, it distracts me. We leave Wednesday for Florida, then on March 20 I'll get my spare part. Looking forward to walking without pain. Doing my best to be a grown up about the whole thing.
 
Doing my best to be a grown up about the whole thing.
@kittyroma , there is nothing childish about being scared to have major surgery. We were all very scared. But I think you will soon realise that the waiting was the worst part. Not long now!
 
Will be thinking of you on 20th....hope your journey to Florida goes well.....not too much pain ! Looking forward to hearing about your recovery....Chrissie xx
 
Heading off toward Florida today. Pre-op consult on 17th. Surgery on 20th. Yikes!
 
What doc in Florida? Mine April 15 dr Suarez Cleveland clinic. Best of health to you!
 
Dr. O'Connor at Mayo Clinic. I'm now in florida and having emotional crying jags. this is no fun at all, i'm becoming a nut. op is march 20. sigh.
 
You will be fine @kittyroma.....it will soon be done ( and it's much easier than you think) and we will be reading about your recovery.....hang on in there.....Love Chrissie xxx
 
Did anyone else feel that their hip symptoms got worse before the surgery? I am one month away and honestly feel that the limping, night pain, walking is worse. Maybe because I am no longer in denial? I am ready to feel great!
 
Did anyone else feel that their hip symptoms got worse before the surgery? I am one month away and honestly feel that the limping, night pain, walking is worse. Maybe because I am no longer in denial? I am ready to feel great!
We see this very often. And yes, I think part of it is you have finally stopped fighting the pain. It's your body confirming you really do need your hip replaced.
 
We see this very often. And yes, I think part of it is you have finally stopped fighting the pain. It's your body confirming you really do need your hip replaced.
I've also been feeling more pain past couple weeks, thanks for confirming that this is a common thing.
 
I can relate... and mine is still a ways off... If we look at all the amazing posts of people who have gone before us, we should know there is not much to fear and others are super happy they did it... even go back for a second!!! You will do great... you will be happy to be done with it and move on to an amazing recovery and the ability to do all the things you have been missing out on:)
Keep us updated:)
Jennifer
 
@kittyroma You have so many people sending good thoughts your way. Looking forward to seeing your post on the other side......All my best...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom