Guest viewing is limited

A month away from total hip replacement and I'm getting cold feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
@psychteach, it does sound like we are in similar situations...by the summer we will be laughing about this.
Thx and positive thoughts your way
 
Hey Ruelfal! I'm in the exact same spot (we even share the same Feb. 5 surgery date). I'm 39, also wondering if it's time to hit the OR. I've put up with the pain for about 10 years, so I think it's finally time to take the plunge. I'm mostly concerned about having to lay low for a couple weeks away from the office. Time for a new XBOX! If you decide to go forward, we'll have to compare notes.
 
I can certainly relate on the pre op anxiety. Every night as I try to go to sleep all the questions and concerns runs through my head. I try to think of other things but I keep coming back to all the stuff rattling around between my ears!
 
I too think I need Valium when I even start to think of surgery. My nerves kick in and I cry with fear. While I don't have a date yet - as I haven't settled on the right surgeon - I too realize I need to make a change. While I limp and am tired if being reminded by strangers (honey what's wring, you're limping) even when I don't know I'm doing it - and I hear "you are way too young at 46 to have hip issues" -- I know I need to plan and get my left hip replaced. I am active and independent sort. I don't like relying on anyone or hearing "can't do" so this will have to happen so I get my life back. I think more than the physical pain I will be relieved mentally to feel normal, blend in a crowd and not feel inferior again. To stop hiding pain and discomfort from friends and family so as not to burden them will feel fantastic. Right now I've found it had worn me down mentally and I secretly cry weekly. I wish you luck in your journey and hope I too can find the right surgeon. Tee
 
@frieds oh, yeah the "honey' what's wrong, you're limping" comment. I get that one a lot. And I don't know I'm doing it, either. In fact. I won't even be feeling any pain and someone will say it. It's just the way I walk. I am still debating whether to go ahead with my surgery. It is a big decision.
 
@frieds @Dmcfad2 , I too was told I was too young for THR! But the truth is THR has no age restrictions. We have 20 something members here! Yes it's big decision. And I went through the same panic and constant crying. Having been through this process I can honestly say - you won't regret going ahead. Right now it seems impossible. I think you will find it is very possible and getting your life back will be the reward.
 
Wow, I didn't expect so many replies. Nice to know I'm not alone. Although I am only 46, it's been pretty bad for a while now. Over the last two or three years I went from playing multiple sports to not being able to walk, bend over, etc. I have not had a pain free day in years, and I really am excited about being normal again.
Thanx to all of you for sharing, and happy pain free and mobile new year to all.

I suspect you have answered your own inner thoughts @ruefal and you are more than ready to get off the sideline of life once recovered. I know you are frustrated about the possibility of not engaging in your contact sports.. but it seems that has already happened in the last two to three years... You will find another activity I am sure IF and only IF you are unable to participate :)
 
I am feeling the same as all of you. I know I have to do this but really do not know how I will even get to the surgery out of fear. I am in terrible pain..with no other solution but this. I hate and am uncomfortable taking any pain meds.. and I am terrified of having the problem fixed with the surgery. I have 5 months ahead me of this till the surgery.. I do not not know how to get through this...
 
I am feeling the same as all of you. I know I have to do this but really do not know how I will even get to the surgery out of fear. I am in terrible pain..with no other solution but this. I hate and am uncomfortable taking any pain meds.. and I am terrified of having the problem fixed with the surgery. I have 5 months ahead me of this till the surgery.. I do not not know how to get through this...

I am hoping to schedule for end of May early June so we will be together!
 
Keep coming here and share your fears and concerns. It does help! In terms of taking pain meds, it's only a temporary situation. A few weeks for a lifetime of living. Plenty of members have asked the same question @psychteach ! You will make it through this with the help of your friends here.
 
thank you both...I just feel so hopeless...can't live without doing it and am scared ot death to do it to make it better... I have concerns over meds now... I do not know what to take..I do not want to destroy my liver or have addictions...but I am in pain. I have been given Mobic by my regular doctor and last week tramadol by my OS. I am not comfortable with either..I realize it is only for the next 5 months...I just do not want to destroy my otherwise healthy body in the process... just completely overwhelmed with it all..
You all are such great support...thank you again.
 
Let's get @Josephine to advise on your meds. Please remember, you are taking meds for a reason. You will not become addicted. I think if you can take the edge off this pain it may help you move forward. Hang in there!
 
@psychteach Hi! I was wondering if you were still around. I hadn't seen a post from you in the last couple of days. I'm concerned about the pain meds, too. I don't like taking narcotics. I have had to take pain medication on occasion, and while they minimize pain, they also give a slight feeling of euphoria. So, I worry that I will start depending on the drugs after surgery, just for that euphoric feeling. I'm also scared of the surgery. What if I don't feel better afterwards? What if I put my body through all the surgery trauma and there is no noticeable difference in how I feel? If you read my other posts, you know that I am not in constant pain at the moment. So, I'm right there with you! What to do?
 
I am still her...wish I wasn't ..LOL. I guess we all feel that way about meds...just got tramadol last week from doctor.. I have been just sticking with aleve before... but the pain is a little worse.. I do not even like taking 2 aleve everyday... I take vitamins, supplements and try to eat super healthy... just does not feel right to put drugs in my body everyday..I know it is temporary...I guess just scared. having a rough weekend of fear and uncertainty with it all...
 
Hi, everyone... I can relate to your pre-op fears, doubts, worries, and downright terror. One thing I can say is: Even if the THR does not solve ALL pain in your body, it will (statistically speaking) solve the hip pain in that hip. And trust me, having one good hip on your side really helps when or if you are tackling other problems, like the other hip or your back. At least that's my experience. Ultimately, when I kept reading that the stats are so very high in favor of a successful surgery, I just found that that calmed me. (Now, when I read about back surgery stats, I do NOT get the same sense at all....)
Right now, at 8 months out, there is a huge noticeable difference in how my formerly bad and now replaced feels and functions. Not the same with my back and other hip, but one hip is better than none. I had navigate the horrible snow and ice yesterday to get to work, and I'm telling you, I could not have done it if I had not had my hip replaced. This time last year I had my bad hip and I could not safely get up and down snow and ice incrusted streets and stairs. This year, my good hip carried the load for me while my bad hip loped along behind, complaining. Read around on the site more and you will get a better idea of what is possible. I know some people have glorious stories of returning to a perfectly pain-free life that is loaded with sports and stuff like that, and I am not in that situation. But I am just an ordinary senior citizen who needed relief from constant pain and limping
and at some point, the fear of that hip giving out and being a huge liability to me and making me dependent overrode my fears about the surgery. In my case, it got to the point where my fear of what would happen if I didn't have the surgery overrode all else. I hope that makes sense. Hang in there; take each day or moment at a time; do whatever helps you get through the night and the moments of anxiety; and read read read on bonesmart. There are so many lovely people posting and providing details and insights and offering support. Not to mention the awesome Josephine and her moderators.
 
thank you peaches... it helps to hear from all who have gone through this...I am lucky...no other health issues than this hip... right hip is perfectly healthy...back is great... although the way I limp around that will change...:( Scared of the surgery... the days after...not so much with the PT and work to gain back strength... I know I am healthy and can do that.
You all are amazing to take time out to write and relax me... It is super appreciated.
 
@psychteach Sorry you have to wait so long for the operation......I took paracetamol and codeine for 8 months solidly before my op because of the terrible pain. Since week 2 of my THR I only take 2 paracetamol before bed. I know you are frightened of the surgery...no one could have been more scared than I was. It is nowhere near as bad ad you imagine...I felt nothing at all. I'm 12 weeks post op and have had very little significant pain...tightness certainly and niggling little pains. Yes, the recovery can be up and down and mine has not been the fastest but I am getting back to normal life, without the restrictions due to pain. I wish you so much luck and some peace in the next few months.....it's nothing as bad as the fear itself. Take care Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thank you hoppy nanny:) hearing that i worse in my head then it actually is makes me feel much calmer. I am having a rough couple days.. wondering how I will get thru all of this... hurting.. but scared to take meds.. wondering how I wll make it to may.. but at the same time scared to death for may to come!!! Lol
 
@ruelfal I can certainly understand your fear and having second thoughts. I am actually having a LTHR on the same day as you. I am only 47. In October I was getting around fine and within a matter of months I am on a cane. I have days where I can walk without the cane but pay dearly the next day. I made the decision to get the replacement because it wont get better and after reading the posts from all these wonderful people I could be pain free too. I am scared about the procedure but I know it will be worth it. Good luck and I will be thinking of you!
 
I am feeling the same as all of you. I know I have to do this but really do not know how I will even get to the surgery out of fear. I am in terrible pain..with no other solution but this. I hate and am uncomfortable taking any pain meds.. and I am terrified of having the problem fixed with the surgery. I have 5 months ahead me of this till the surgery.. I do not not know how to get through this...

I am a new member and I'm terrified too. Thank you for sharing your fears. Makes me feel less like a chicken.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom