TKR A little more of my story

@idigdirt .... I'm in agreement with what lovetocookandsew has said in the post above. Your knee has not had one single day of peace since surgery. You've had two surgeries close together. You had two falls on your knee just weeks ago. Your pain has never been properly managed to allow for decreased inflammation and swelling. Keeping a knee inflamed and hot can dry out tissues and result in the formation of adhesions (some people call that "scar tissue," but it's really a case where tissues that should be moist and glide over one another get dry and stick together). IF (and it's a big "if" because adhesions are not a common experience) you do have adhesions, an MUA can help loosen up the joint. But something tells me your surgeon and PT will have you right back in that painful pushing therapy immediately afterwards and that would not be good for you or your knee.

It won't hurt to wait a bit, try giving your knee a rest for several weeks and see if things will settle down enough that you begin to see progress. Your surgeon may give you some grief about waiting, but it really is your choice. You can tell him that you'd like to have the opportunity to allow your knee to settle and work on a more gentle approach to therapy for a bit to see if that helps. Should he threaten that old "you only have so much time to get your ROM" story, just smile and say you understand, but need to give this a try first.

If this idea isn't something you want to consider and you prefer to go ahead with the MUA, insist that any therapy you have immediately afterwards be gentle bends and stretches only. Massage is okay too. But absolutely no pushing on your knee. You should feel no pain besides mild discomfort as you gently bend and stretch, holding each for a count of 5. Your knee will be traumatized by the MUA and it will need to settle down so that you don't repeat the cycle of pain, inflammation and swelling you've been experiencing.

Don't feel guilty about asking for help with your pain management. This is critical to a good recovery. You also need to be icing your knee and elevating as much as possible. This means you'll be spending most of your days for at least a few weeks lying or sitting with your leg properly elevated. No chores, no errands. You'll just need to keep movement going in the joint by getting up to walk around your house for 5-10 minutes every hour or two. Be sure to ice and elevate at night when you're sleeping. Ice both the front and back of your knee.

Please let us know how you are doing. We care about you and will be here to support you with whatever decisions you make about your knee.
 
it's futile to go through the torture (and it has been torture) of PT and making no progress.
Going through the torture of PT is the very reason you aren't making any progress. Your knee needs to heal and aggressive PT is setting back your recovery. A MUA now will only cause more damage and set your recovery back even further. Please listen to us who have been through this recovery many times.

I was blessed to have a surgeon that never pushed PT. He gave me a prescription for it, which I threw away and never went. I never told him that I didn't go and he didn't ask. I didn't do any exercises either just took care of myself and my kitties.

After 12 knee surgeries, I know that I do not need PT, and neither does anyone else if they do their own daily activities. My knee recovered just fine all on its own with only my daily activities. I didn't have the terrible swelling or agonizing pain that so many have after taking formal PT either. I knew the Bonesmart way worked before Bonesmart was even thought of. My surgeries started in the early 80s and I never went to PT even back then. I just didn't see the need for it. Bonesmart was formed around 2004. By then I had already had 6 knee surgeries and rehabbed the Bonesmart way!
 
@idigdirt
Your getting very good advice here. PT, oddly, is sometimes more harm than good. So many doctors stress the importance of it, and for some, maybe it is. It wasn't for me. Everytime I went to PT I was in pain for days after & my knee was very stiff & swollen. They also want me to do exercises that were impossible because I always need both hips replaced.
I lasted about a month in PT and finally quit. I've just done light exercises & normal everyday stuff since & I don't have half the pain & swelling I did.
I'm 5 months out now. Not healed completely by any stretch of the imagination but the swelling is much easier to control & the stiffness is much less. I also find more & more, especially when I'm moving my legs while I'm sitting, that I completely forget I had a knee replacement.
PT was not right for me. Maybe its not for you either. I wouldn't rush into anything. I'd take a PT break 1st to see if there was improvement. Also lots of ice/elevation as often as possible
 
@idigdirt - follow the advice given on here. I had a Bilateral TKR last May. My surgeon doesn't believe in aggressive physiotherapy.I did some stretching exercises while in hospital but didn't go to physio after discharge. I just continued the stretching exercises at home and went about my life.I did what I could as I could. Each week I would notice improvements. I try to walk regularly because that is when my knees feel the best. I am 7 months post op now and like @Abbylayla I am not healed completely. It is a long recovery.There is still some pain and stiffness but my knees are SO much better than they were. I am so glad I had the surgeon I did. I shudder when I hear the terrible therapy stories people share. Be kind to yourself.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom