Guest viewing is limited

A 2hr flight back home post THR - any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Janet, I actually recently went through this, and being from Alaska I am familiar with smaller aircraft.

At 10 days post op I was able to walk around the airport unassisted, no cane. That is quite a distance in a big airport like Seattle Washington. Getting on to and off a light aircraft will not be easy. As you know the steps are steep and you have to stoop to get into the plane.

Then 2 hours flying in that size plane will not be comfortable.

My advice would be to plan for longer in the hotel, and if your mobility is to a point where you think its doable to fly, then you can always shorten the hotel stay.
Thanks @badhipinak - great to hear about your experience doing this. Brisbane airport is not as big as Seattle (I don't think) but I will organise for a chair and also a car ride to the plane - our travel gals here tell me that is all fixable. And then there is a lift up to the door, but yes, will have to stoop, didn't think of that. Same the other end, except the plane rolls up to the door of the building, and our car will be 100 yards from that - a benefit of tiny airports! The bit in between... the flight. urgh - just went on a shopping trip by car yesterday (3hrs each way) and was miserable by the time I got back - and I kept thinking about that flight!

I can see that it will all depend on my recovery postop and nobody can predict that exactly, so I'll just have to be flexible with the dates as you say. Thanks again.
 
Thanks @Jaycey and @zauberflöte for the advice about the icing - I'm a bit clearer on how to use it now.

Am all stocked up with various kinds of icepacks anyway (flexible and not), and have been using a frozen wheatbag on the top of my head to help me sleep - seems to work (oh internet, thou knowst so many things) in slowing my whizzing thoughts down! If only someone would hand me a new coldie at 3am...:swoon:
 
Hi @Great Aunt Janet i know what you mean about sleep my brain won't stop thinking I have been trying to make sure I'm really tired before going to bed I sleep better then I have 4yr old grandson for a week so I'm sleeping so good he gets up really early so I suppose that's what you have to do the problem with that is everything else is tired haha thinking of you xx
 
Thanks @badhipinak - great to hear about your experience doing this. Brisbane airport is not as big as Seattle (I don't think) but I will organise for a chair and also a car ride to the plane - our travel gals here tell me that is all fixable. And then there is a lift up to the door, but yes, will have to stoop, didn't think of that. Same the other end, except the plane rolls up to the door of the building, and our car will be 100 yards from that - a benefit of tiny airports! The bit in between... the flight. urgh - just went on a shopping trip by car yesterday (3hrs each way) and was miserable by the time I got back - and I kept thinking about that flight!

I can see that it will all depend on my recovery postop and nobody can predict that exactly, so I'll just have to be flexible with the dates as you say. Thanks again.

Aunt Janet, I see you're doing well connecting with others who have had to fly and glad to hear you are allowing yourself some flexibility with the post-op. I know with my first hip (R-THR) I had a car drive up 2 hours for my surgery for where I was living at the time. I had the cushion of 2 nights hospital & then in a rehab orthopedic center state of the art where I live. I was there for 5 days thinking it'd be longer.... but it was my first hip surgery and ambulatory issues and living solo at home. I sure liked not having to guess when I'd be ready to come home!

We are Rainbow girls, surgeries in April just a week apart !! I am more than ready to get my new hip, long and painful journey with this one, compared to the right hip 10 yrs ago. Are you getting your things ready, what to take, I like the getting ready, got some new nightgowns, and leisure wear for hospital recovery. Well time to sign off for now - - it's time to turn in. More later.... Goodnight.
 
If only someone would hand me a new coldie at 3am.
I bought a 6 pack of gel ice packs and rotated around the clock in the first weeks of recovery. Drove the hospital staff mad as I was constantly asking for another ice pack. Not long now!
 
Hi @Joydancer! Looks like you have had plenty of experience with this kind of surgery already, so I feel fine about also admitting I am enjoying getting my stuff together. This forum has been great for helping me make my lists - my main problem will be leaving stuff out I think, or I'll be exceeding my baggage allowance! Good thing my husband is coming to bring me home, especially as I have time for another day's shopping (in the big smoke, yeeha) before I go in to hospital. Very dangerous.
:catdance:
do you find it more frightening, going for your second THR - you don't sound it, but it is hard to tell. Is your first one really good still?
 
That's great you getting things planned and set for your packing too! ha! "very dangerous" about another day of shopping - - I'm with ya on that :heehee: I did shopping again today thinking of getting a robe to match some of my nightgowns for hospital & rehab, anxiety shopping after I got it. Trips will do that for me + having to have surgery.

I have everything set but will need to get those gel packs for home. I'm worrying about my plan & being up to preparing easy-meals cooked & in frozen containers for when I return home - since I'm solo by choice now 15 yrs, love my life & independence, but not good when you go thru this sometimes. That's great you having a hubby, who can help with your needs when at home (and yes, glad he's going to be with you for your return flight home) :)

Oh, I know some talk about getting the helping aids, but you know I was going to check with my hospital (different one this time for 2nd hip) but with first THR-R the hospital pharmacy gave me upon discharge, package with sock puller, long shoe horn, walker, etc. for what I needed & I took with me to rehab center.

I'm in so much pain & anxiety is more agonizing & need for meds round the clock than first time around, have lumbar spine advance stage of degeneration ugggghhh + hip & I am 11 yrs older; first hip = 55 years young and now 66 years old (more accurate now = of spine + hip) for this second hip.:eeeuw:

Yes, my first hip is doing very well, no problems & recovery was awesome went very smooth!
I did have some muscle/ligament issue in doing some very active gardening & decorating with a move & new home about 3 yrs into but it went away as I got less active with spine (low back) & restriction for those activities.

Well I know we both agree we want to be done with this phase -- concerns, fears, anxieties & I know it will all work out well, getting to hospital & I especially will keep you in my heart-thoughts @Great Aunt Janet for your flight arrangements going very well and two-legged angels willing to help with what you need, from getting to gate the flight, and de-boarding and connection to hospital dear one. I'm sure will chat again - - we both will be having our pre-op check-up appt. and/or pre-surgery appt. probably almost same timing :SUNsmile: Till we chat again :friends:!!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the good wishes @Joydancer - and I just have to ask - is anxiety shopping similar to my comfort eating? Or is it post-shopping what-did-I-buy-that-for anxiety?

I know I am really lucky to have somebody at home (although he may not be feeling so lucky himself after I've made him read all the bonesmart advice, I am such a nag!) to help - I have never been physically dependent before and I still find it hard to imagine not being able to do things for myself. Saying that, I've seen plenty of people on this site saying that they were completely fine managing for themselves post-op. Do you have someone to bring in groceries and fresh veg etc? That would be very hard to deal with - or maybe you live somewhere where they have internet shopping and delivery?

The pantry is stocked up with tons of tins of baked beans, chickpeas, red beans, tuna and vitamin pills (as well as all the laundry and bathroom stuff) - so if my nagging gets too much and the shopper fails to soldier, well, I can live on beans and pills for ages... :snork:

I am so glad to hear that your first hip is good and strong (and will bear in mind your experience with over-doing it!), and I hope that getting the second one done helps get rid of most of that pain - did they tell you that was likely (ie the spinal pain lessening) if you are not contorted with hobbling about with the bad hip? :groan:

Didn't mean to paint such a clumsy picture - that is what I look like though, ha! I just got back from a 'walk' with La Bindy, the small fluffy boss round here, and I definitely look more like 80 something, what with the hobbling, and the hairdo resulting from a hot blasty wind coming down from a cyclone up north (no rain, bah) and gardening clothes on (shouldn't go out in them, I have no shame)...
 
I just flew 2,500 miles to visit family and I kept thinking of you as I sat on the plane. I think you should be good on the 2 hour flight. Only thing I found was it was/is uncomfortable to sit at 90 degrees. My groin has a painful spasm when I straighten out. In the plane I tried to keep out of that sitting position.
With the grandchildren I am sitting with little ones on my lap. Getting up after they get off is very painful.

Lots of talk about ice. For some reason I don't remember icing in the hospital. I vaguely remember using it when I was home. Maybe I have selective memory. I have made a note to go out and get more gel packs after reading how good icing was for all of you.
 
And both of you, BEG for ice at the hospital!! I had it on when I woke up, but for the rest of my stay I emptied their ice machine! It is a lifesaver.
Janet, you might want to start off by living on beans!! Jet-propelled is exactly the effect you want when taking narcotics. :lol:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Yes, the ice pain relief/de-sweller sounds really good. I don't know if the hospital I am going to uses it, so I am going to buy some more wheat bags before I get admitted, and then get them put in their freezer for me. If only hospital rooms had little mini-bar fridges in them...

Thanks for the advice @webbie73 - I am practicing with an inflatable neck cushion wedged under my bum to see if it is a) reliable (!) and (b) enough of an angle. I use one in our cinema, which has very old style canvas (double for cuddling) deckchairs in it - look gorgeous, killer on your back - and it works great as a stuffer between a girl anda hard place.

Beans and narcotics are a good mix? Sounds potentially messy, oh hell, wish I hadn't thought of that! :yikes:
 
Hi @Great Aunt Janet from a fellow Queenslander. You have got some great information here as you always will! I am looking at a 3 1/2 hour drive home following my revision surgery and found a lot of the hints very handy indeed myself.

May I ask which hospital you're going to? I am booked in at Prince Charles tentatively for June 1 and will return to Childers from there.

I hope it all goes sensationally well for you :)
 
Oh dear, I didn't mean to put wrong pictures in anyone's imagination! For very many post op patients, constipation is a serious issue. Beans are full of fiber, while at the same time causing some to, er, pass gas... That's what I meant by "explosive". My hippie cohort had perfectly straight-faced conversations on this topic :lol:


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
I would take issue with the Bonesmart article re flying, where it suggests you ask for a seat by the emergency exit. Most airlines require passengers sitting in those seats to be fit enough to open the emergency door and help other passengers, in case of an emergency.
Excellent point and you're right. Our article needs to be modified. I'll do that and thanks!!!
 
Hi @fulafoto - all hail Queensland! Thanks for the welcome - and the hospital I am going to is St Edwards Memorial in Brisbane - never been in any of them before so hoping all will be well. They seem very business like to deal with so far... This site is good isn't it, I bore all the medics I come across about it, because I think they should recommend it to others.

Is Childers really only 3 1/2 hours from Brisbane? I haven't driven that way for a few years, so the roadworks must have made things better! I could have opted for Rocky, but a) don't know about how up with everything they are there, and b) it is still 7-8 hours drive home, so that is why I went for Brisbane too. Have you had all the rain that seems to have been sticking to the coast?

Had my pre-op XRay today over at Longreach (very nice Irish radiographer) and have started packing a bag. House is clean (ish), pantry full, various toilet/shower seats, non slip shower mats, crutches, a grabber, foam wedge stuff to prop up my sofa extension, millions of pillows are all stored in the spare room ready. I have stopped the Nurofen (that was the only thing that took the edge off) and as I still have about six days work to do, I am expecting to get quite sore before I head off.

Okay, need to set the table, old friends passing through and staying for dinner. Tandoori chicken (husband, v good), bean and cashew curry and the creme caramel is cooling. I can see I am going to have to do something about the excess baggage when I am fit again. Can't wait!!
 
@Great Aunt Janet
"pantry full, various toilet/shower seats, non slip shower mats, crutches, a grabber, foam wedge stuff to prop up my sofa extension, millions of pillows are all stored in the spare room ready.


Nice - - organization and all the comforts you have in place will truly "welcome you home" after your surgery and your flight home !! :SUNsmile: You will be so glad you have it ready....feel so good to home and settling in on your comfy sofa, supported with clouds of pillows. Brew up some tea.....oh yes, with a slice of shortbread (yum) ...warm your heart in being really home !! :hugzz:

re: "I have stopped the Nurofen (that was the only thing that took the edge off) and as I still have about six days work to do, I am expecting to get quite sore before I head off.
"

Do you have to stop the meds that help you so much that far ahead & with that flight? ...wondering if you could find a med that could help you going into your final days "work to do" (? at home...not like a job, right...from us chatting don't recall if you have that going on too). I'm not familiar with Nurofen, but hoping if that cut-off is that clear-cut from dr. you can have something to help with pain/inflammation for the final days & flight & jaunt to the hospital.
 
Great Aunt Janet the count down is on!! It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row. Now just sit back and check off the days.
 
You can have something to help with pain/inflammation for the final days
- Hi @Joydancer - yes, I can take paracetamol, but really it does nothing for me, so I will see whether I take that or not. Nurofen is a anti-inflammatory - it has been the only thing to help for a while.

The amazing thing is, I don't really feel that much worse (maybe the Nurofen was useless too!) so far, and have been walking doggies, not far - and working as usual. I think I am walking more awkwardly but I have been managing to sleep, so bliss.

I can't believe how quickly your date is coming up now, I am thinking of you (so organised!) and imagining just floaty about sort of fun coffee/cake days (pre-teeny-weeny-blitzen-supermodelhips days) as there is nothing left to do! :hugzz:

And @webbie73 - Kathy - is it your date today????? It looks like you had a questionmark over the date, but you have all my - and I'm sure, our - very best wishes and hopes for a smooth, comfy surgery and recovery. Of course, you will be busy if it is today... so looking out for you in post-op! :thumb:
 
Not my date. I am at the end of the month, April 28. Question mark was because I had not gotten any paper work. I need to go and fix that ? Mark!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Members online

Back
Top Bottom