TKR 90 degree bend

This sounds like you're having zingers. They have been described as lightning bolts shooting through the knee. These shooting pains are your nerves reattaching and healing. All normal pains and an indication that your knee is still healing.
I’ve never heard of this before. Hopefully that’s all it is. Many thanks

I just reached 90 at 6 weeks post op, 2 weeks is crazy to expect that. Your knee probably feels like there is a solid ball in there from the swelling. I don’t think you can get your ROM back fully until your swelling goes away and that time is different for everyone. I’m 7 weeks now and still have swelling.

Hi
The last couple of days I’ve been getting an almost stabbing pain sometimes in the left side of my knee. I get no pain whilst out walking, or general duties etc. Just occasionally when I sit or move my leg in certain positions.
I did catch my leg in the duvet cover sleeping the other night. Could that have twisted it slightly and now I’m suffering this weird pain. Other than this I’m absolutely fine. I contacted my hospital today and someone from the trauma clinic is supposed to be ringing me. I’m very happy otherwise. Thanks for listening
During the super swelling phase of my recovery I used to get some sharp pains from rotational movements, usually from hooking the edge of an area rug with my shuffling gait or getting tied up in bed sheets trying to harvest the 2-4 hrs of sleep per night…ugh. Somtimes just referred pain while resting, from having been active and pivoting on the leg.

Found that torsional mobility, especially internal knee rotation movements, was one of the longest stability strengths to return to normal. I definitely got shooting pains and some associated swelling after, especially if it surprised me and I didn’t see the movement coming…

But… when we make a few great strides in recovery advancement the joy of success makes those little steps backwards easier to handle in the big pic.

Keep pushing! You are getting there :bicycle2:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you're having a good week and your recovery is going well.
Enjoy the weekend! :)
@cooky6660

It took me around 5 months to get to 90 degrees with my 2nd PKR. 120 at 6.5 months and still increasing. I expect to regain full range of motion—there are a couple of good peer-reviewed articles documenting increased range of motion to 6 months and then to a year and beyond (mostly from the NHS in the UK). The US NIH has this entire area of research—Implementation Science—focused on reducing the length of time it takes research to get into practice (it’s something in the order of 20+ years). You would think PTs would know this.

Hi
Thanks for your info. I totally agree with you. Ridiculous straight after surgery to assume you’ll achieve 90. Although now after 5 weeks I’m just passed 90 and doing well. Completing exercises 3 times a day and plenty of icing. I’m now walking in aided too. I’m proud of myself that’s for sure. Muscles around the knee are still very weak. Hopefully after 6 months or so this will come back.
Regards
Steve

I’m now walking in aided too. I’m proud of myself that’s for sure. Muscles around the knee are still very weak. Hopefully after 6 months or so this will come back.
Congrats! Walking without an aid is a big milestone -- definitely something to celebrate.

Your muscles will continue to strengthen as you continue to use them. No need to overdo the exercise, just keep the knee moving. Walking and ADLs (activities of daily living) should provide plenty of movement.

Congrats on 90! :yay:

Congrats on the accomplishment. I am now at week #12 and finally feeling better about it all. The swelling is the biggest issue for me and my doctor's office told me I can have swelling for up to 5 months. During PT they pushed me to 118 degree bend by the end of 8 weeks. Now I know why I was in so much pain at all of my PT sessions but I just sucked it up and dealt with it thinking it was progress - in retrospect it was some progress but not enough for the pain. I do have the utmost respect for PT's but I think a number on a piece of plastic measuring tool is just that - a number and it does not equal recovery. (sorry for the mini rant)

I’m at 6 weeks now and just over 90. I exercise 3 times a day but my knee is still very swollen! From what I’ve read it can be 6 months or more before swelling disappears sometimes even longer. This doesn't help when exercising I’m sure! I think after listening to the great people on here I’ll go with what they say rather than the pt’s.
I’m pleased with my progress. I’m driving now as well. Getting on with life. To be honest I’m so glad I’ve had the surgery. I’m walking now with virtually no pain like I used to. Only thing I feel is stiffness in the morning but soon goes once I’m up and about.
Don’t apologise for the rant. Just glad you’re getting better.
Cheers

I exercise 3 times a day but my knee is still very swollen!
That's why your knee is still swollen. You are over-working it and it has no time for the inflammation to decrease. Once a day is more than enough! Increase your icing and elevating and cut out two of those exercise sets and that swelling should go down.

I exercise 3 times a day but my knee is still very swollen!
Stepping back from the exercises will help ease the swelling which actually can last up to a full year in some cases, normally easing over time. Go back to this -> :ice:
after listening to the great people on here I’ll go with what they say rather than the pt’s
BRAVO! :yay: I think you will benefit from this. Please report back.

Hi
I’m 9 months post op new knee. I’ve had an amazing recovery. Not really had much pain. Walking well, I’m still exercising etc. Today though I’ve noticed a bit of discomfort and slight throbbing in my knee. It’s not really painful but uncomfortable.
Also since Monday climbing the stairs I get a clicking noise. Very weird, is this normal?
Thanks

Glad to hear you are having a great recovery, @cooky6660. Occasional discomfort is not uncommon throughout the first year of recovery. Likely the result of overdoing a bit.
I get a clicking noise. Very weird, is this normal?
This is very common. I have it in both knees, although to a lesser degree in the older one. Here's an article able it: Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery

Please notice that I've merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread because we prefer that members maintain just one recovery thread. This way all your information is in one place, making it easy to find and serving as a diary of your recovery. Having all your information is all in one place, also enables our staff and other members to advise you better. And you won't miss or lose relevant posts and advice.

So, please post any updates, questions or concerns here. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you. You may want to bookmark your thread to make it easier to find.

For more on how to navigate the forum, you can read through this article:
How can I find my threads and posts?

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Plerea
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom