Revision THR 8wks post op - more pain than before<<

@Horseshoe I am so glad to have found this site! I have learned so much and feel less alone in my struggles. So you are right about where I am in recovery time, can you stand on you right foot, (operated side) full weight with you left foot off the ground without pain, like when you put on your pants, can you do it without sitting or leaning on something to keep the weight off your right hip? How about when you shift your weight to the good leg and take the weight off your operated right leg? Do you feel any pain in you upper through/hip when the weight is relieved from the right leg?



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate your strong opinion. I think the nuclear test is a bone scan? I think that is next on the list of things to do. He also wants to do some nerve conduction study, but I don't think this is nerve related, especially after reading others people's opinions, experiences, etc. here on this site. Definitely going to get a second opinion in the works.



Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Lol! Didn't realize there were so many Saratoga's! I'll will tell you, I live in the best one, haha! Yes, my OS pointed out the space and seemed think it would fill in. I go back this week, now I feel like I'm going into the appointment much more informed and I have a list of questions. I will definitely be seeking a second opinion no matter what, but I really hope I can stick w/my current OS. Everyone makes mistakes and if it's an easy fix then we will be good to go!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
can you stand on your right foot, (operated side) full weight with your left foot off the ground without pain, like when you put on your pants, can you do it without sitting or leaning on something to keep the weight off your right hip?
I can do it but have some pain, 2-3, even a 4.

How about when you shift your weight to the good leg and take the weight off your operated right leg?
Some pain, 2-3, even a 4. Weight shifting from leg to leg def hurts sometimes!

Do you feel any pain in your upper thigh/hip when the weight is relieved from the right leg?
Sort of, on the front side of leg, from knee to hip and esp the middle part of femur -ouch!

Most pain is standing up after sitting, 2 and even a 6 at times. Once I'm warmed up and walking it's generally good but cannot walk more than an hour w/o having to rest the leg.

It's def bone pain, doesn't appear to be muscular pain. I'm off all pain meds but will sometimes take a tylenol and an advil which zaps the pain. No pain with sleep at all.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Horseshoe thanks for the info, it sounds similar to what I am feeling but you are a few weeks behind hopefully your pain will subside. I would definitely go and see your OS no matter what, just to make sure everything is okay. How does your recovery with this hip compare to your recovery from your first hip? Can you remember when you felt "back to normal" with the first THR?
 
@AMR1879By the way, when I goggle Saratoga Springs, there's one in NY, MO, TN, SD, and Idaho. If someone wanted to stay incognito, they would claim to be from Saratoga Springs. Ha!

One in California, too. Not an official town of Saratoga Springs, but an official town of Saratoga and a nearby location called Saratoga Springs.

@AMR1879, I'm hoping this works out. It will eventually somehow.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@AMR1879 - I tinkered with your xray which was of rather poor quality and found, as your surgeon said, there is a significant gap between the bone and the implant. As I said previously, this was destined to never achieve bony ingrowth and never will now.

[Bonesmart.org] 8wks post op - more pain than before<<
 
I know the quality isn't great, it's a photo of a photo, and then I had the change the resolution t make it small enough to upload. Thank you for taking the time to look at it. Now I am working on a list of question for my OS appointment Wed. @Josephine, any suggestions on what to ask?


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This second thr had a better initial recovery than the first, I took it nice and easy this time.
The first thr was hampered by the other bad hip and a tad slower in recovery. I felt well enough that I was off shopping and having lunch with friends at 2-3 weeks -big mistake! I did get a short respite around the two month mark between thrs of feeling normal until the second one started to get angry.

Essentially, within a month I was feeling pretty good with both thrs, was still using a crutch or two, and felt more normal around 2 month mark.

Good luck with your appt on Wed, I hope you can get some definitive answers about your pain.
 
@AMR1879.
Sorry for your troubles. Could I suggest that you also see a different OS and get there view on the situation.
You'll likely find that it will be differs from your current OS because he/she won't have to cover up there error.
Thankfully though it can be sorted.
Joe.....
 
@Irish Joe, I am going to see my OS tomorrow and then after that appointment, I am gathering my records, I already have copies of all of my MRIs and reports. I have the names of revision OS that are going to review my records. We shall see what they say.
 
@Horseshoe Thank you! By any chance do you ride horses? I was an avid rider and I hope to start riding again once all of this hip stuff gets worked out.
 
Yeah, nice to meet another horse lover! I rode all during my childhood and beyond though I don't have a horse anymore. It was when I was getting back into riding that I realized something was wrong with my legs aka hips, posting was very painful and it wasn't muscle pain. Many thr recipients go on to ride again which is one of my goals too, we will get there!

Noticed there are many horse riders on this forum with hip issues and wonder if there's a correlation, I rode long hours all the time during my formative years, I was possessed :snork:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Josephine I have been looking everywhere for someone who has experienced something similar to me. Keep reading of loose stems but after many years after surgery. I'd love to hear from someone who had the wrong size put in and had it changed within 6 months or less from their first surgery.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Horseshoe, I too have a friend who had a double replacement and is up and riding with no problems. I can't wait!


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to hear from someone who had the wrong size put in and had it changed within 6 months or less from their first surgery.
I know you would and there are some around but very, very few.

Folks, it's really unnecessary to quote a post just to reply to it. Just scoot on down to the bottom of the page and start typing! Unless there is some specific phrase you want to address, of course!
Then do it like this How to quote a post.

Thanks for understanding! :)
 
Update after my appointment with the OS.... Took new xrays, he said they looked "good" and wants me to have a bone scan and seek a 2nd opinion from another OS in the practice. I am also going to be seeking a second opinion from two other OSs from other practices. So no theories or answers yet. My OS didn't mention anything about the stem being too small or loose.
 
I'm glad you're getting multiple opinions. I know you like your original surgeon, but frankly his comments give me the shivers! When a stem is loose, it does not get better and look "good" on an xray. If things were so great, you wouldn't still be having pain! I'll be eager to hear what the other doctors have to say. Hang in there.....sadly it can take some time to get something like this properly diagnosed and resolved.
 
seek a 2nd opinion from another OS in the practice
WHAT? No way, my dear! You will not get an unbiased, honest opinion from one of his work buddies. Ever.
My OS didn't mention anything about the stem being too small or loose.
This is not uncommon. Trust me, they are total experts in avoiding the issue.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom