Guest viewing is limited

TKR 8 weeks post op<

No problem! I made them for my dad last year when he had a THR. He loved how they molded to his hip, but I did double bag them. For now try to keep ice on that knee as much as possible and whenever you have it propped up.
 
Just wanted to add a comment about ditching the cane. I thought the sooner I could walk around without it the better I would do. Big mistake! I stopped using it around 5 weeks and after a few days my knee and hip on the "good" side were killing me. Even tho I could walk ok without the cane, I was still limping and favoring the bad knee and that put pressure on the other leg.

Long story short -just because you CAN walk without a cane doesn't mean you SHOULD walk without the cane.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I would give an update, which may or may not be brief. I'm in week 9 now.

I took the advice from everyone seriously especially the medication and elevation & ice recommendations. They helped immensely which is no surprise to the Bonesmarties out there.

Although my knee still has some inflammation it's certainly much better and looks almost normal.

The best part is that I was able to complete a full revolution on the stationary bike this week! :upright:
This was a big personal milestone and while yes, the seat is set quite high, I think the emotional boost from actually doing it, is worth it.

While I need to heat the leg up in the morning (usually in the shower) to get things moving and although there is some initial discomfort (NOT pain), as I peddle, it starts to ease and actually feels quite good.

So I've been adding a few minutes to each days ride, but I wonder if that is reasonable or if I should hold at a certain amount of time for a few days, then progressively add time every 3 days or so? My fear is obviously overdoing it and since that did happen early in my PT, it is a legitimate concern for me (type A personality that I am). :heehee:

Thoughts?
 
Congratulations on being able to do a full rotation on the bike. :wowspring: :yes!: :happydance:

I think it would be wisest to only increase the amount of time every few days, rather than daily.
After all, since full recovery is going to take a year, there's no need to rush. You can afford to let your knee take all the time it needs.
 
@KatD123 Hi, I came in here late too, not from not knowing it was here, as I was here 4 years ago. I thought I could cope with everything this time and found I needed to be able to talk to people in the same boat again and people that understand what is going on. I will be at 10 weeks tomorrow (Monday) so just a couple days ahead of you. You mentioned that your extension was at 5. It will come. My knee replacement 4 years ago, I had the same problem. Probably because I had walked with my knee bent for years. It was bad enough that I measured an inch smaller around my calf on that leg. It will get better, just give it time. I also found that getting in a pool helped. So that is what I am doing now as I am running out of pt with my therapist. I still do therapy at home with instructions from my therapist. So we just have to work at it, can't give up. Frustrating, yes, but time is our friend. Well, time for me to head for the pool.
 
So I've been adding a few minutes to each days ride, but I wonder if that is reasonable or if I should hold at a certain amount of time for a few days, then progressively add time every 3 days or so?
I echo that also. Principally because you never know what that extra little bit will do for 3-4 days so give it time to see if it will aggravate your knee or not!
 
After all, since full recovery is going to take a year, there's no need to rush. You can afford to let your knee take all the time it needs.
Many of us have tried to, somehow, effectively speed things up. It is important to be patient in all of this thing called recovery, and to take it easy and let the knee cope slowly with increasing "demands."

The harder and faster to try to push things, the more they slow down.
[Bonesmart.org] 8 weeks post op<

Patience, Grasshopper, Patience...
 
Ah Referee54, that made me smile. :snork:

Patience has not typically grown well in my garden....I must cultivate more of it.
 
Patience has not typically grown well in my garden....I must cultivate more of it.
We have all said something like that, though not quite as artistically by using that extended metaphor.

You would be amazed, though, how much patience you have when you reach deep down inside yourself.
 
When biking at PT I stayed at the same time (5 min) for a week or two before adding 2-3 minutes the next week.
 
Just wanted to add a comment about ditching the cane. I thought the sooner I could walk around without it the better I would do.
Our knees have been causing so much pain and heartache for so long, we are in a hurry to reclaim normalcy.

When you consider how long we have put up with lousy and painful knees and a restrictive lifestyle, a little extra time using a walking aid is not that big of a deal. It is better to use a cane or other assistance a few days longer than necessary than to cut out its use a few days too soon and pay for it later on.
 
Speak with your doc about pain meds. It was difficult for me to stay on pain meds for so long. But too much pain, even it you think you're a tough guy, can impede your progress. I had a replacement in April '16 and have been taking a very low dose of Trammadol - not for my new knee, but for my "new bad knee" and because I cannot take NSAIDS. You are only 8 weeks post-op, which may seem like a long time - but not for TKR recovery. My doc predicted I would be functional at 12 weeks, but he told me not to use the word "recovered" for at least 6 months. I am there... and feeling great.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom