MUA 8 weeks and still not sleeping. ☹️

Sounds like ROM is coming along. Someone with expertise might want to comment on this, but I wonder if the random pains come as other things heal, revealing something new to heal. Which is progress.
 
ROM is now over 100, but the pain during my walks is disturbing. There is more snapping and popping in the knee the more ROM I get. I think I’m getting a clunk now as when I step down on my toes I hear a click in my head on the right side. If I step down on my heel it doesn’t click as much. Is that the indication of a loose pad?
 
Many of us still clunk. I am one of them. Some of us hear it more than others. I have learned to ignore it since it doesn't hurt.

 
ROM is around 110 now! All normal activities are much easier now. I can ride the bike with the seat at my normal setting now. I’m not sure about how much more ROM I will get, I can function now . Being able to get down on the floor and get back up again is huge for me. If I fell there was no way I could have gotten back up again without calling 911 for help and that was very concerning to me. The pain walking is still not resolving. I have to wonder if the increase in ROM, equates to more pain for awhile? I did get an appointment for a second opinion on March 12. It’s at UAB in Birmingham AL. The OS at the hospital specializes in revisions if needed. At this point I just need information about pain and if it’s a loose implant or not. Either way, I’ll be waiting for a year to make sure before doing anything.
 
I have that same question: Does increase in ROM account for increase in pain? I’ll be interested to hear what you learn.
 
I have to wonder if the increase in ROM, equates to more pain for awhile?
I think it does if that increased bend caused pain and swelling. It would take a few days to get over it.
 
I now notice that walking for 15 or 20 min is making my knee warm up and swell. It didn’t do that as bad when I first started walking. Seems that as soon as I gained ROM of 90, the soreness and swelling was more pronounced with walking and the clicking and popping got worse. I’m hoping the greater ROM isn’t making the knee loose?
 
We had the second opinion appointment yesterday and the OS X-rayed the knee and hips, measured the ROM and Flexion now being 120 / 5 respectively. I expressed my concern about the stiffness when sitting for 30 minutes or more and he said that can be expected in TKR patients for up to a year and it should get better in me being only 3 months out from MUA. He said my progress was good and the x-rays looked good. I made an appointment to see him again in 3 months should the pain not get any better or gets worse we can look at a revision , but he’s more on the side of waiting the year time frame for the evaluation and progression of my recovery.
I’m at full function for daily living, and the pain is better on some days then others. Stairs are still a challenge especially going down. It’s hard to measure that progress as there are not many steps in the house and the stair master at the gym only goes up. Now with the COVID-19, I can’t go to the gym for at least a month now. I’m hoping that doesn’t delay the recovery as we are staying home for the next 3 weeks. Our State, AL, got the first confirmed case yesterday, so we are ready to sit this out. Prayers and Well wishing to everyone dealing with this difficult time in our country.
 
@Gatorchief69 Sounds like you are doing really well. As your surgeon pointed out, your recovery really had a reset the day you had MUA.
I’m hoping that doesn’t delay the recovery as we are staying home for the next 3 weeks.
Your daily activities should be plenty of exercise for that new knee. It's a difficult time for everyone - worldwide!
 
I am a few weeks behind you, but I’ve had several knee surgeries, and I have certainly had exquisitely painful sensitivity on my knee after surgery. In fact I’m lying here, early morning, with just my knee out from under my blankets for the same reason. Oddly, I find a compression bandage helps by applying firm, not tight, pressure all around. Some people can’t bear the thought of wrapping their knee, so I might be weird, but it helps.

There’s a lot going on in there, as far as healing, and not a lot of room, as the knee is a tight space even without the swelling.
gatorchief69; welcome to the club; I am 4 weeks post ltkr. I to experience sensitivity on area top and around knee. I ice my knee approximately 5-6 times a day . I wrap mine tightly with an elastic wrap. it helps with the pain and swelling. just don't let it get to cold . sometimes I feel like I'm getting frostbite.lol. I'm 4 wks. out and doing well. not taking PT. doing heel slides and ankle pumps and quad stretches couple times a day. don't work until it hurts; just until a little discomfort. your knee will tell you when it's had enough. then rest; ice; and elevate. ROM and straightness will come I promise. it is working for me. you will still experience swelling and tightness for a while. I still do. prayers for a speedy recovery
 
Thank you for the well wishes! I'm sitting things out here in Missouri. It is a scary time right now. All of the usual things you do every day will be plenty of movement for your knee while your gym is shuttered these next few weeks. I don't get too tripped out on the stairs. I know that sounds like a pun! But seriously, I have to do one stair with both legs. I'm not comfortable doing one leg per stair and I'm okay with that for now. Be well.
 
Social distancing has closed the gyms so I’ve been exercising at home and walking now. Two days ago it was a beautiful spring day here and I went out for my regular mile walk. It was so nice out and the pain wasn’t bad, so I kept walking for for about 3 miles when it started to hurt pretty bad. Unfortunately it was another half mile to the house so it was bad by the time I got home. I understand some moderate pain with walking for some longer distances, but this was in the 7-8 range. It’s not swollen just painful when standing on it now. I’ve let it rest for the last two days and it’s still sore and painful. I’m hoping it’s another lesson learned and not a precursor to future knee failure.
 
I'd say a lesson. Going from 1 mile to 3 and 1/2 miles is not a steady progression. 1 to 1 and 1/2 would have been better. It is definitely not indicative of future failure, the actual prosthetic will not have been damaged.
 
The jump up in your knees' activities had angered them and it will take a while for them to settle back down. Increasing your walking should be done slowly, as you have learned the hard way. It might take a few weeks for you to return to where you were before you overdid. During that time, extra icing and elevating will be helping in healing this setback.
 
Well we are nearing the expiration of quarantine in our state and the gyms will be able to reopen on the 15th of the month. I don’t intend to go until a safe routine is established.
My ROM has increased steadily, now around 130 degrees. Walks are still painful and the pains move from knee to ankle to shin to thigh. Again when walking over a mile the knee is warm to the touch and painful while walking. I did notice that the knee is snapping and popping a lot more now that the ROM has increased. My wife can hear it when I walk by.
is this the knee wearing in or misaligning?
 
Knee popping isn't unusual, especially with your increased activity. Warmth is sign is that the knee is still healing, also normal. Mine stayed warm with extra activity for about a year. 130 degrees is really good. Celebrate that and try to stop worrying about your knee unless things get worse with it. Then it would be time to call your doctor.
 
I see from a previous post that you walked 3 miles at a time. Do you think you've just been getting a little too ambitious with your walks?
 
I haven’t walked over a mile since the 3 mile walk. Learned my lesson from that. I’m happy with the ROM and not pushing anything anymore. Like they say, it takes time and patience. I just thought the pain would be much better by now. I hope time will help that too.
 
Like they say, it takes time and patience. I just thought the pain would be much better by now. I hope time will help that too.
You are approximately halfway through this recovery, it will get better. I had similar discomfort at 6 months.
 
I still hear my knee clicking in certain activities bending / going up stairs and usually at the beginning of my walks, after a while I don't notice it. (I'm 7 months post op ) Unless you are getting pain with the clicking I wouldn't worry, with time it may wear off and go altogether, I think think it of it as my knee saying hello to me :heehee:
Try and concentrate on your gait using a heel to toe movement, walk tall as this will help to stretch your extension.
 
Back
Top Bottom