Guest viewing is limited

THR 8 weeks after Left THR

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Josephine - IT band: straight arm on wall. The other arm on waist. Legs separate. Slowly lean hips to wall, hold 20 secs.3 reps each direction. Thanks for the information and advice!
 
Welcome @whofwhof - you might like to read these articles..

The following is a link to an article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes and the relevant nutritional information for each phase.

Healing Phases & Nutrition

This second link is to other nutritional articles which you may find interesting, including one relating to bone health.

Nutritional advice for pre op and recovery

Disclaimer: The information on dietary factors, foods, and beverages contained in these articles does not cover all possible uses, actions, precautions, side effects, and interactions. It is not intended as medical advice for individual problems. Liability for individual actions or omissions based upon the contents of this article is expressly disclaimed. Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of all medical conditions including the taking of supplements.
 
Yep that was one I tried but it didn't work too well for me. So I resorted to 'shooting up'! :heehee:
 
Big snowstorm in the Northwest here. Very rare, but very pretty and is a great day to Sleep! :sleep:
 
I am just wondering anyone are having the same experience. This is almost my 8 weeks out now. When at my 6 weeks post op visit, the number one good news is that no more tight socks to put on and remove everyday. Number 2 is no long need to use the toilet riser. So it will give you a sense of kinda of going back to 85% normal at least even is not 100% back to normal yet. But I found that the toilet seat is actually pretty low for someone who had hip surgery. That is impossible I can remain sitting at great than 90 degree angle. It is not yet comfortable for my new hip joint yet. So I had to put the riser back. I can't figure out if this is psychologically fearful to dislocate my new joint or is really not good for the joint. I know this is kind of personal toilet seat story but as I said at the beginning, if any one have the same experience or you may a good trick to better use a regular toilet; please share. Thanks!
 
@whofwhof......You may notice that I have merged your two recovery threads. We like to keep our members' recovery posts all in a single thread. That way it's easy for us to go back and read your history before responding to a question or concern. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you. In addition, it is helpful if you create a signature that includes your surgery date. To do this, mouse hover over your username at the top right of the screen. Choose Create a Signature from the drop down menu.

I notice that you haven't received the basic recovery articles to read. So....here they are:

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please read the links and you'll see that you are still VERY early in this recovery process. You need to give yourself some time to get more of that "normal" feeling back. It can be a rather slow process sometimes, but you'll get there!!
 
:what::what:
Josephine, my cautious... What did you mean by "resort and shooting up"?
I meant this exercise ....
IT band: straight arm on wall. The other arm on waist. Legs separate. Slowly lean hips to wall, hold 20 secs.3 reps each direction.
and but it didn't work for me so I 'resorted' to having a cortisone injection!

re·sort
verb
1. to have recourse for help or to accomplish something
- often as a final available option or resource: e.g. to resort to war
 
Thanks for very good info and references. I believe a lot people are like me, sometimes feel like am I over doing? Or am I not getting enough exercise to achieve the goal of getting better. Thanks for the info!

Blessed dAy!
 
When I walk, the left leg sorta slightly swing to left outward more than before the surgery. So if you imagine my left leg walk like a robot. Anyone has experience to share? Otherwise, my recovery has been on right track. *** One word hope can bring some encouragement to the ones are having little struggle is - Stay Positive. Thinking this is only temporary and everyday you will get little better even I know sometimes you don't feel it.
 
@whofwhof Mine wants to do that, too. I am concentrating on standing up straight, then swinging my leg forward straight out in front of me, touching the heel to the ground first and rolling onto the ball of the foot as I step forward. I also take smaller steps to allow this to happen. See if that helps you. It takes practice, because you operated leg wants to swing out when you step forward.
 
I thought it is because of some kind of muscle weakness (don't know what muscle group though). Why would operated leg wants to go out when walking?
 
Swinging the leg out to the side when you walk is part of the habitual limp that develops in people with hip problems. After THR you can break the habit by lifting your knees high, like a fancy horse, when you walk. You needn't to it all the time. Just 20 to 30 steps a couple of times per day (probably when no one else is around) should be enough to provide the neuromuscular cue you need to break the habit.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
 
Hi @whofwhof welcome to BS

I found the toilet seat quite low after removing the riser but felt it was due to my muscles not being used to going that low. Take it slow and easy
 
I haven't visited for a while ...

I had my Left hip replacement back in early December. Next is going to have the right side done in June. I needed blood transfusion last surgery which I don't expect that, but my vitals were low & feeling dizzy. So doctor decided to give me blood transfusion. I am wondering how many of you out here have the same experience? What can be done to avoid that for the upcoming surgery? Thank you!! Take care everyone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@whofwhof Now the THIRD time your threads have been merged.
Please don't keep starting new threads about your recovery. Thank you so much.
It will also avoid your having to explain your circumstances every time - gettit?
 
Ok, I think I got it. SO if I haven't checked in for a while. How & where to go to post something? I just don't know how does it work? :loll:
 
You can find information on how to use the forum like the link Alex provided for you by clicking on the Help & Info tab at the top of the page. There is a whole section there on How To Use This Forum. It will tell you how to find your threads and much, much more!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom