BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs. If your surgeon is not listed, please let us know and we'll get them added.

Read more about this in this announcement:

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] 8 months post TKR...looking back

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by LarryB, Jul 8, 2019.

1. cathyn518

cathyn518 junior member

United States United States
    Thank you LarryB, I will be 3 weeks out tomorrow of LTKR. Only went to 2 physical therapy sessions when I quit as the aggressive PT hurt and exhausted me! Your story gives me hope, I expected to be walking more without stiffness by now but I know that was not realistic.
    Cathy

• Like Like x 1
  2. possum65

possum65 junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Thank you for the great post on life at 8 months post surgery. It is really helpful to me and so many others to hear how you have progressed, and what you are able to do now.
    I am 4 months post bilateral knee replacement surgery, and am slowly making gains week by week. When it seems slow, I just look back to the first month!

3. LarryB

LarryB new member

Hey Didot, when I was at 6 months I was feeling much better, but still would have plenty of setbacks when I overdid things. So at the time, I worried about the upcoming trip to France, knowing that it would involve long plane trips and lots of walking. The trip came right at 7 months and worked out just great. I made sure I stood up a lot during my flights and they didn't really bother me at all. The walking did cause minor swelling and pain, but did not slow me down at all. So for me at least, there was a lot of progress between 6 and 8 months (still not quite to 8 months). And have to say, watching the USWNT in person was awesome!!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. LarryB

LarryB new member

Cathy, you are still at the very beginning. I think by 3 weeks I had discarded my walker, and only used a cane for a couple days, but it sure wasn't anywhere close to walking without stiffness at that point. Patience and not trying to overdo things are my advice.

5. LarryB

LarryB new member

Yeah at 3 weeks my office was wanting me to do some work at home. Luckily I was in a very flexible arrangement (retired now, yay) and would do maybe an hour or two of work but that was it. I feel like the first 3 months at least, my full time job was recovering. Lots of exercising (trying not to overdo it) followed by lots of ice and elevation. Rinse and repeat.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LarryB

LarryB new member

Good luck to you. It is a bit of a slog, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

7. LarryB

LarryB new member

Yeah, part of the reason I decided to quite PT was the "professionals" sometimes said things I knew weren't true. For example, you could never get extension past 0 degrees, and had no idea what "locking" an extended knee meant...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  8. LarryB

LarryB new member

Sorry, second response to you but I just remembered something else that irritated me about the professional PT's. They cause undo worry if your range of motion hasn't progressed in accordance with their arbitrary schedule. They actually brought up the possibility of MUA with me if I didn't get the prescribed ROM in the prescribed time (my progress at the time was lagging). I tried to ignore that, but it still makes you worry. As mentioned in my original post, my ROM is pretty good now, and I really have been doing nothing to specifically target ROM for months.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LarryB

LarryB new member

I agree. At 4 months the progress seems very slow, but you are getting there!

• Like Like x 1
  10. jellycats

jellycats junior member

Thank you for sharing life at 8 months! While my PT experience was not as difficult as others’, I’m glad I’m now on my own and doing my own “thing.” Much more fun to do different things and on my own schedule. When I have my other knee done, I suspect I will do less PT and stop even sooner.

• Like Like x 1