THR 8 days post op, am I over doing things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Bottomshollow or should I say Judy.
I had my apointment at the frature clinic today a week after the accident, The dr said I need surgery on my finger to have a plate or wire put in. They have planned it for Friday morning. I also asked him about my hip as my femur is far more painfull than the finger that has snapped. So he xrayed the hip and pevic area and after a very quick look he said everything seems fine. Although I am very pleased to hear that, I am still getting my head around having to be off work again with no pay and not being able to gym or swim again. That sucks. He said I may be off work for 4 wks.
Since falling off my bike I have eaten lots of cake, biscuits and general rubbish. I hope to turn that around in the next few days. I am waiting for the yellow bruising on my femur to subside before I take to the treadmill or bike to sweat out my worries. I haven't done any exercise for a week and Ive put on 6 pounds. Oh well. I have to say there are many people out there with far worse problems than my problems.

Dear swimslikeafish,

Like the name by the way! I want to congratulate you on your amazing progress, although I too, agree with everyone. Although we may feel like taking on the world in leaps and bounds like we are accustomed to, doesn't mean we should right away. I am 39 years old and have had OA since my early 20's, due to a fractured femur when I was 2. I was put in traction, which caused my legs to be slightly different in length, causing a lot of friction over the years. Like you, very unfortunate, but fortunate in the same way. I was able to continue a very viscious exercise routine up until about 3 weeks prior my surgery. I like to say that I had my "hair on fire" for fitness, and still do. But sadly, I have had to slow it down immensely! Belive me, I cried and screamed because I felt it just was not fair. But slowly I am getting back what is normal for me, but with baby steps. If I could give you the best piece of advice it would be to, LISTEN...to what your body is telling you. I find that swimming at my local YMCA is not only theraputic, it is also great exercise. Although I am a very good swimmer, swimming wasn't my top choice for exercise. But now, I really enjoy it! I am slowly adding some weights back into my routine as well. I absolutely love to lift! Kind of my passion... I also love the outdoors, and would rather be outside than in! I am going to try my first camping trip at the end of March, hopefully will be able to hike some moderate trails with my trekking poles! Can't wait! It is nice to know there are active people out there going through the same thing.. We can do this, with each others support! Take care of yourself, and before long we can conquer anything my friend! :bicycle1:

Nice to hear your story gym rat. I presume your had surgery in Jan so wouldnt go just yet. I would try some day walks and build it up from there. I think you will be fine as long as you keep your pack light and dont aim for too much distance too soon. I cant wait to get outdoors too. Be carefull not to injur yourself like I have.

About my broken ittle finger. I had surgery 9 days after the acident. I don't know exactly what the've done as my hand is heavily bandaged and I have a metal splint going from the back of my wrist across the back of the hand and over the top of the finger and back round the other side to my palm. I know theve put a pin or in it too.

As soon as I woke up from the surgery yesterday I felt an immense amount of pain in the hand, fingers and wrist.
I have been taking medication but the pain is so bad I can't sleep for long and Im having to do controlled breathing at times. I cant explain how much it hurts. I'm contemplating going back to A&E. It feels like theve broke more bones during the surgery.I cant even use my other fingers to turn on a tap on or hold an empty cup due to the pain.

It hurts much more than my hip ever did after a THR. How can that be ? They didnt warn me of this kind of pain so am thinking maybe they did something wrong. Has anyone had anything similar. I'm a little worried. Sorry that Ive digressed from a hip topic to my finger but hoping one of the orthopaedic nurses read this and can coment on this.

I think you should get to A&E and have them check out your splint. I think it sounds like the fracture in the finger has become displaced and needs to be adjusted. Fingers can be incredibly painful from very little.

thanks josephine, i think i will go in the morning. The fracture was already displaced hence the need for k wire under general. i will let you know how it goes. many thanks.

I hope you get some answers and some relief. Just rotten luck! So sorry.

Do let us know.. Hopefully a small set back :)

swimslikeafish,
I am walking a bit everyday, and plan to only walk the easy trails while I am there. I think the easiest one is about three miles, no hills! I would pack very light, just a small snack and water, and of course a first aid kit just in case! I don't plan on doing to much.. I now walk on the track at my gym, have worked up to about a mile straight. Hope to be adding a little more every week or so to build my endurance. I am now 38 days post op, almost 6 weeks! I am feeling a lot better, and getting my mobility back slowly! Sorry to hear about your finger, and the problems you are having with it after surgery. Please keep me posted on how that is as well as your hip! Hopefully they will figure out something soon! :friends:---Hugs to get better soon!

Gymrat, thanks for the hug and support. It sounds like you are doing very well for 6wks. At that stage I was only just allowed to walk with one crutch. Keep building up your stamina and you will be out on the trail very soon. You will be pleasantly pleased that the old hip pain has gone when doing those longer walks and that the stiffness and lack of mobility has been replaced with a smooth functioning joint.

Anyway my hand does seem slightly less painfull this evening and I have been icing it a lot over the last couple of days along with regular meds and also I had a large glass of wine tonight so feeling a bit more positive.
Take care.

Thanks Poppet, sissy and josephine too for your concern too.

I will let you all know what happens with my hand and let you know what they say. I have managed to refrain from going back to A&E so far and I am waiting to hear from them as I have a follow up sometime this week. Obvoiusly if things dont improve I shall go back sooner.

Okay - that's good. But you never mentioned you had a K Wire in it! :doh:

Dear swimslikeafish,

A little wine goes a long way! :cheers: So nice to hear that the pain is better.. And yes, please let me know how it all goes! Planning for a swim tomorrow, can't wait! Hope to hear from you soon!

Sorry Josephine, my typing has been even worse than normal since breaking my finger so sorry for the bad english and the waffling on.

On the morning of the surgery, the surgeon asked me if my finger was painfull to which i answered no not much at all, Ive been swimming, doing housework carrying my daughter etc. If the hosp or surgeon had then warned me that after the surgery my whole hand will swell up and be completeley unusable plus the pain is going to be really severe I would have braced myself and not been too overly concerned. i didnt have a post surgery visit from him which i thought was strange.

Things seem slightly better again today so either it is or I am getting used to it. I guess I just panicked a bit or I was being a big girls blouse about it.

Hi All,

Can't believe its been 8months since I visited this site and posted, Naughty me. Hi to the moderators and Hi to those whose may remember my whines and worries and Hi to those newer people. I hope all those other hippies from 2012 and earlier this year are getting on well with their new hips.

I Thought I would post as its my surgical anniversary on 05/11/13 to let you know things in the hip department are better than brilliant. No Problems at all, Full movement able to do squats and all sorts of things. Cycling the 12mile round trip to work every day. Unloading and carrying 10 times my own weight in groceries everyday. Lost 1.5 stones, Swimming 3miles plus per week. Had a good open water season where I entered a couple of 2 mile races. I think a positive attitude and determination plus hard physical work play an important part in recovery. I think I was also lucky to get such a skilful surgeon, Dean Micheal, Runnymede Hospital, Surrey. All fantastic people there. Anyway fractured finger also ok but a little bent and stiff but not a problem. (I broke it shortly after my hip opp, fell off my bike),

Great to hear from you! So glad things are going well. Don't be a stranger!

Fantastic to hear from you swimlikeafish, so happy for you :)

Come visit our New Years Eve online party, it is a great catch up :)

Thanks Poppet I may well visit the new years party.
By the way I'm feeling so fit I applied to join the RAF reserves as a Logistics driver and they were really interested in me until I mentioned about my hip then they cast me aside like a worn out shoe. Their loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member