THR 7 months after anterior right hip replacement

Mandel

Country
France France
Hello
I had a very successful hip replacement nearly 7 weeks ago (mini invasive surgery with the incision at the front) with not much pain except the first few days of course.

As I was very fit before hand I was recovering really well and my surgeon here in France was very happy with my progress after 4 weeks and he told me to walk twice a day for 20 minutes increasing each week with just one cane to begin with. Unfortunately I stopped using the cane as I felt I was strong enough, big mistake!

Last Monday I went to an Armistice celebration and stood in the rain for half an hour hanging on to my husband. I got chilled and had a gastro problem for a few days but that’s night I had more pain than I ever had before except for the first few days in hospital.

I stopped walking (was laid up by the gastro anyway) and called my surgeon. He said it was a wake up call as I could get Tendonitis and to stop any walking immediately except for in the house and to rest the hip. I’m seeing him in a weeks time.

The pain has started to go down and it doesn’t hurt when I’m walking, it’s mainly at night right in the buttock area. And at the side of the hip. So I'm using ice and taking pain killers and keeping my leg up.
Unfortunately it’s now making my back ache so I’m putting heat on that.

I hope that all this will work so that when I see him in 8 days I’ll be almost ? Better?
If anyone can give me any further advice I’d be so grateful.

Last edited by a moderator:
:wave: and :welome: to Bonesmart. Can you please supply your surgery date and which hip was replaced so we can add it to your signature?
It sounds like you may have cracked open the door to the Overdid It Club :sigh:
as we new hippies often do.
Your recovery will likely get back on track as you sound like you are trying to take things easier.
It can be tricky to strike the right balance of enough and too much.
Please check out these helpful articles.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Thank you it’s nice to know I’m not the only one. My replacement was on the 1st October on the right hip. The problem I think that many of us have is being awake in the early hours and imagining all sorts of bad outcomes. I will just have to be patient

:yes:
Here is my favorite recovery chart.
7 months after anterior right hip replacement

You may be in the tangle in the middle at the moment.:heehee:
The problem I think that many of us have is being awake in the early hours and imagining all sorts of bad outcomes.
Sleeping all night took quite a bit of time for me...hard to get settled and ...yes, not helpful to get a loop going on about possible complications.
Even mild tendonitis can take a bit to resolve.
I will just have to be patient
:bored: Can be the most difficult part.

Sending healing vibes your way!

We will add you to the October Feisties Recovery Group so you can easily find folks who have had their surgeries close to yours.
Hope you are still icing and elevating...it is helpful and MAKES us be still:wink:

Hi, Mandel....so glad to see you were able to post and tell us of your new hip experience. I appreciate that your surgeon felt you were doing so well that you could begin that walking program he recommended, but we find something like that is usually way too aggressive for most people. Even those who were very fit before are still healing (as you'll see by reading the links Mojo333 posted for you above. But you're doing the right thing now by resting, icing and elevating your leg to allow those tender soft tissues to settle down. Take as much time as you need and don't rush back to a lot of walking. Just walking around the house and maybe some short walks outside will keep the joint mobile.

It is possible that you have piriformis syndrome and/or trochanteric bursitis. Take a look at the links and see if what is described sounds like what you're experiencing. Both can be brought on by too much activity too soon in recovery. But the good news is either condition should resolve completely with some rest and tender loving care to your hip.

And....trust me....you are NOT the only one to experience this. It's easy to overdo things when your new joint starts feeling so good! Take care of yourself and let us know how you're getting along.

Thanks
I don’t think I have the 2 things you mention as I have no pain getting up or walking, my surgeon thinks I’ve had a warning sign of Tendonitis which hopefully won’t develop , fingers crossed. The pain is when I lie down or sit.
Good to know people are there to help.

Take some time and read some recovery threads. The majority of us don't have any pain while walking. It's always afterwards when you sit that it starts hurting. Then you sit,rest and ice, take pain med and the pain goes away. Then for some reason we all walk too much again and guess what happens? Then we all sit for hours thinking we've compromised the implant as we ice and take pain meds and the pain goes away. And then guess what we do? Pain in the butt is common and it doesn't have any pain when walking. It took quite some time before I could carry my wallet in my rear pocket and sit on it.

Hello :wave:
Just wanted to say Hi and thanks for joining us.
I hope you have a nice weekend. Don't be a stranger here, we'd love to follow your recovery as you continue healing.
@Mandel

Hi Mandel,

Everone heals differently! It sounds like you doing very well, with maybe a bit too much activity.

I went through a period of “overdoing it,” and after slowing down, I rapidly improved.

Ease off on the walking, and then ease back into it in a few days.

Elevate the operative hip and ice ... several times a day, at least 45 minutes. I wore thin shorts and placed the silicon ice package on the shorts with a towel to hold it in place and insulate it!

I’ll bet you will be fine.

Thanks for your advice , this is what I’m doing but just walking in the house.
Difficult to know what’s best sitting upright or lying down between having the leg elevated any ideas?
Things slowly improving but still a dull ache behind the joint in buttock.

At six weeks or so, I was trying to vary my position - still spending time lying down with hip elevated and iced.

I would get up, put ice pack up, then wander around, stretch a bit, wander around some more, take a 30 min nap, get up and ice some more, then wander around, then go to my desk and do some catching up on email, then wander around, then watch something on TV ... varied, but always moving to different positions.

Here's my story's link: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/thr-a-doing-well.54206/

Remember - everyone is different - feel what your body is telling you. Hips require little PT, but lots of walking!

Thanks very helpful.

Anyone have tendinitis after their op,?just wondered what the symptoms are and how long it takes to recover. It’s 3 in the morning here and the imagination is running a riot.

I was never able to make to 0300 in France ... waaay too tired there in September!

Drink some left bank wind and go to sleep

Yes you’re right, Drinking milk, not quite the same!
Hope you enjoyed France

Just saw my typo - wine not wind!

Oh yes, wonderful from landfall at Dieppe to Bayeux, Bordeaux, Arcachon, St E, Biarritz, and last year Collioure, Paris ...just wow.

This year was on new hip at four months ... wonderful ... even dragging bags through the streets of cobbled Bayeux, up stairs in B and Bs!

Hi, @Mandel
The most common symptom of hip tendonitis is pain that develops gradually over time. Other symptoms of hip tendonitis include: Tenderness on the hip where the tendon starts. Hip stiffness in the morning or after long periods of rest.

It is possible that you have piriformis syndrome and/or trochanteric bursitis.
Trochanteric bursitis has also been referred to as hip tendonitis.
Symptoms may vary from person to person in when and how they present, but as Jamie mentions...the treatment is pretty much the same.
There is a good little video in our library that explains tendonitis.

It’s 3 in the morning here and the imagination is running a riot.

Isn't that always the case. Your mind goes to the bad place in the wee dark hours of the morning. Hopefully your discomfort settles soon. Please stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.
Wishing you comfort and continued healing. :)

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks