THR 7 days post-op RTHR

Everyone will tell you that no 2 of us nor either of our hips were the same recovery timelines. Using the walker isn't a sign of any kind of failure, it's just what we have to do to assure a good recovery. So many of us try pushing harder and we tend to learn the hard way it gains nothing. If you try a little bit with the cane every day eventually you'll be more comfortable with it as the strength returns. May sound dumb but there are good youtube videos on walking with a cane, proper technique helps a lot.
 
It has been 17 days since my surgery and I am still not comfortable walking with a cane. Is this unusual?

No, it’s not that unusual. You will know it’s time to transition when you are feeling steadier on your feet, maybe taking a few steps while holding onto something without it. You can always practice also, with someone walking along side you and next to a wall or something you could lean on if necessary. That’s how I eventually moved from walker to cane.
I hope you have a great day!
 
Today has been bad. I'm not sure what is going on. When I try to put weight on my right leg it hurts like no tomorrow. I feel like I am experiencing a major setback. I did get a refill of my tramadol today, so that's good. 3 weeks tomorrow and I don't feel any better than I did 2 weeks ago.
 
Hello, I’m sorry you’re struggling and not experiencing the progress you hoped for.
What are you doing activity wise, on a daily basis if you don’t mind sharing?
Have you had a post op visit with your surgeon yet and if so, what did he have to say about it? Ice and elevate, while you’re in pain. It will help relieve the pain and swelling.
@Janab1028
 
Yes I have had my 2 week post op. It didn't hurt like this then. I am just doing a little walking, butt squeezes, ankle rolls. Nothing much really, in fact I am doing less now than I was a week ago.
 
Are you still using a cane or crutch? I think you need to reset your expectations for this recovery. You are still only days out of major surgery. You need to give that hip a chance to heal. Ice, elevate and take your pain medication. All this is temporary!
 
That is what I have been doing. Keep telling myself it has only been 3 weeks. Yes, I am still using my walker. Trying to stay positive!
 
I don't think I have ever been this miserable. I thought having a bad hip was bad, hopefully I turn a corner soon or I'm going to believe this surgery wasn't worth it. Trying to stay positive but it is hard at 1:00 in the morning.
 
@Janab1028 I hope today is a better day for you. I know how frustrating it can be to be better one day and then to feel worse soon after. My first week of recovery seemed to be a breeze, but boy the second week rolled around and I felt worse and it made me terribly anxious and scared. I just wanted to tell you that as suddenly as I felt worse, I then felt better. Just this morning was the first morning I woke up naturally without pain. I hope you will soon turn the corner too.
 
That's good to hear @DA32561. I'm beginning to get anxious about my forthcoming hip replacement.
 
@Janab1028 . I hope your day improved. You'll feel better after a good night's sleep. This too shall pass!
 
@DA32561 and @Spex10 thanks for the kind thoughts. I've always been one who heals fast. This has been 10 times worse than both of my rotator cuff repairs. I talked to my doctor's office this morning and they put me back on the Tizanidine for muscle spasms and probably put me back on Norco. Once we get my pain controlled, they want me to do some PT to stretch the muscles and the like. At this point, I'm willing to try anything.
 
I'm ready to give up. It has been almost 4 weeks and I sleep less than I did before the surgery, I can't sit in my recliner without severe muscle spasms. I give. I wish I had never done this.
 
@Janab1028 I am so sorry to read that you are having such awful spasms. I have not read about this complication on any of the posts here. I hope the medication gives you some relief soon. Hopefully like many things once the cycle of pain is broken it may begin to lessen. I will keep you in my thoughts, please keep us posted.
 
I’m sorry you’re feeling so hopeless.
Is it a combination of pain upon weight bearing, muscle spasms and lack of sleep that you're dealing with?

If there is still pain upon weight bearing, I’m wondering what your surgeon concluded?
I would touch base with him, or his care team on that for advice. You‘re awfully early into the healing process and at a point where many are still dealing with pain, discomfort, sleeplessness and even a bit of post op blues.

Unfortunately, sleep proves elusive for many early on, so you’re in good company. Cold comfort, I know, but our body's energy supply isn't limitless. So when we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing.

I‘m sure dealing with muscle spasms only makes it more difficult. Make sure you’re staying adequately hydrated. Hopefully the prescription kicks in, but you may also want to consider more natural options if the spasms and sleeplessness lingers.

Magnesium supports the following:
Bone health
Healthy blood sugar
Cardiovascular health
Muscle relaxation and nerves
Promotes healthy sleep (falling asleep and staying asleep)


An article on Magnesium -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/magnesium-is-a-star.20301/

Regarding spasms, I've also heard drinking 4-6 oz of Q-Tonic before bed can bring relief. It is a water that contains quinine. Read the label as some of the waters do not contain quinine, but quinine flavoring instead.

Wishing you comfort and relief.
 
Much better day/night yesterday. The Tizanidine has helped with the muscle spasms and the Norco and ibuprofen have helped with the rest of the pain. Sorry for all the negative Nancy posts. I promise I will keep them nice. I was at wits end Monday night. I was getting ready to go to the ER, that is how bad it was. Thank you all for the posts and positive thoughts. I truly appreciate each and everyone! ❤️❤️❤️
 
Glad to hear that things have eased a bit for you @Janab1028 . Long may it continue!
 
@Janab1028 No need to apologize! Everyone has a down day or 2 ... or more .... after having major surgery! And this is a good place to vent frustrations and get support. I am glad to hear you are feeling better!!
 
Well all, things are going ok after my last melt down. Scared myself today getting in the shower. Stepped wrong and it felt like something happened. Not sure what exactly, but it hurt like the Dickens. All is good now, but it did scare me. Still using the walker but hopefully I can try the cane soon. Have a happy 4th of July
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
Glad you didn’t do any damage with the mis-step into the shower. Good luck when you attempt the cane. Let us know how it goes.
Have a safe and happy 4th!
@Janab1028
 
Back
Top Bottom