THR 6 weeks post op--over it!<

@alg72 : I just found your thread, was reading with interest, and came to your last post. I have to agree with Jaycey so very, very much!! I had that happen a couple of times in the months before I had a dislocation! You want to be on top of this, believe me!

And you *may* want to consider resuming hip precautions until you can see your OS and get a new x ray, or a second opinion, just in case? I don't know if there is any medical or science basis for that, it is just given my experience I feel worried for you!

That being said, hopefully it is actually fine. Sometimes a tendon stretching over a joint will make a popping sensation too, at least according to a chiropractor I used to see. But better safe than sorry, right?
 
Well, I talked to my dr.s office today and have an appt. next Tuesday. I told them what happened and they said it sounds like something may have "flared up". I am to take an anti inflammatory (Aleve) 2 times a day and ice it and to do do any hip flexor exercises during physical therapy (PT).
I did go to PT today and my physical therapist (who has had bilateral hip replacements herself) said that some other muscle (can't remember which one--not a common one) flared up and had a spasm. She said that since my hip flexor isn't strong enough yet, this other muscle took over when I moved a wrong/funky way. When that less common-name muscle was used, it flared up because it's not very strong either. She is not a doctor, but she said that she is 90% sure this is what happened and it didn't have anything to do with the actual implant. She said that I shouldn't worry too much about it. I did feel better (physically and mentally) after my PT appointment today. Does anyone else recognize this or heard of it happening before? Thanks for listening! Any advice is helpful to me!
 
:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

Ok, all...get ready for this---
So on Friday, July 15, I was working from home and decided to go check the mail. I then went to my car to get a bag of dog food out of my trunk (45 lbs bag...I have a Great Dane). I picked it up, twisted at my hips and fell straight to the ground! As I lay there in my driveway trying (begging) to get my leg back in place, I realized it had dislocated.

Luckily I had my phone and called my husband who was in the house. To make a long story short, he called 911 and I went to Emergency Room via ambulance. The ambulance ride to the hospital, waiting to get X-rays done and the doctor/nurses putting my hip back in place after they put me under, was the worst pain I have ever felt in my entire life. I would never wish that kind of pain on my worst enemy. Even after given pain killers via IV, it was excruciating! I honestly thought I was dying, but I believe we have a good God and this was happening for a reason. I may never know what that reason is, but I recently got some very good advice from my Aunt: "You may never know why God is putting you through it, but it's probably because you are taking that suffering to spare someone who is not is strong as you. So, that means you are someone's angel". I really needed those words at that time--

All in all, I saw my surgeon that next Tuesday and basically, I dislocated the hip because it was too much when I lifted that bag and then twisted. I have to relearn how to walk and no twisting and pivoting. I have to kind of "shuffle" when I turn and my toes and eyes should always be facing the same way.

I'm doing fine physically. I'm in some tolerable pain,but I've had worse. It's more "mental" now... I'm kinda scared to really go anywhere because I'm scared it will happen again. My life has become Netflix, my IPad and TV. I am working from home now, so I don't even get to see my coworkers. My husband and I are getting to know each other again. He's been really wonderful and I think this whole ordeal has changed us, made us closer. For that, I am VERY grateful!!

Any advice besides getting a 2nd opinion ( I'm looking into it)?
 
Wow! You have been through a lot! How scary that must have been. I can totally see myself doing that. I lift and tote and carry all the time (or I did until my hip gave out in June).
I would definitely get a second opinion on everything. You have been through so much, I would just want to make sure that you are now doing all that needs to be done to prevent it in the future.

I'm sure @Josephine and @Jaycey will be along with advice too.

Please keep us posted!
 
do any hip flexor exercises during physical therapy (PT).
I did go to PT today and my physical therapist (who has had bilateral hip replacements herself) said that some other muscle (can't remember which one--not a common one) flared up and had a spasm.
Did you forget (or ignore) my earlier advice that hips actually don't need any exercise to get better? That's because they do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
I saw my surgeon that next Tuesday and basically, I dislocated the hip because it was too much when I lifted that bag and then twisted. I have to relearn how to walk and no twisting and pivoting.
That's absolutely true. You're only 13 weeks out and so
1. no way should you have been lifting a load that heavy that early out
2. you most certainly should use the 'shuffle' to turn. Didn't your PT didn't tutor you on this before you were discharged from hospital? It's a rule that applies for a good 6 months.
 
I'm so sorry this happened. I think many people don't realize how dangerous it is to lift heavy things after this surgery. I still still put my dog food in my bike trailer to move it. My instincts say not to twist. (ever.)

I hope your pain eases. I think that many people underestimate the graveness of this surgery. You really have to be careful, and keep your shoulders and hips square. Thank you for sharing your story. Maybe it will prevent someone else from making the same mistake. I'm glad you had your phone and your husband to help you.
 
How REALLY awful @alg72! I just can't imagine how terrible your experience was. Your experience is a good lesson for those of us who feel like we are close to being back to "normal" and don't realize we aren't! I definitely will NOT be picking up anything heavy or twisting suddenly. My OS said I had no restrictions, but I did notice when I suddenly twisted the other day that I experienced some mild pain in both groin areas (thankfully it didn't last but a few minutes). As said on bonesmart, we aren't fully recovered for at least 12 months. Thank you for sharing and reminding all of us to be very careful during our recoveries. Take it easy now.
 
Ok, so... The hip dislocated again and I had to have another surgery Sunday. Not only to get it back in place, but so the surgeon could "fix the slip" of the 3mm. He said that if he didn't go back in and fix It, it would continue to dislocate. So, I feel like it's in there good now and I just need to take it easy. I am in pain, but it's tolerable--kind of. This whole experience has been the worst part of my life up until now and I am trying so hard to stay positive (even though I cry daily). I was talking to my Aunt the other day and she said that I may never know why God is putting me through all of this, but maybe it's because I am taking that suffering from someone who isn't as strong as me. That gave me great comfort...but I'm still hurting physically and mentally from all of this. I know I just have to have faith. Thanks to everyone for letting me vent!:gaah:
 
Oh, @alg72, that is truly horrendous! I can believe this is the worst you've ever had. No one should have to go through a THR, 2 dislocations, and revision in 3 months. I'd be crying, too! I hope that this second op has everything placed correctly and that you will be recovering nicely now. Keep on venting, sweetie! I am so very sorry for you.
 
I just want to wish you the best come Sunday and let you know I'll be keeping you in my prayers. Do you have the surgery time yet? :console2:
 
@Cynthia777 I actually had the surgery on the same day, Sunday, July 24th after my 2nd dislocation (sorry I wasn't clear). I was in the hospital overnight and was discharged the next day. So, I've already had the revision, now it's just a matter of getting over this hurdle and to get strong physically and mentally. I'm very swollen right now and it doesn't feel like my leg can go totally "straight" (may be has to do with the hip flexors).
I am mentally more "damaged" than anything, I think. I don't want to move and I'm afraid to do anything for fear of another dislocation. I know it's very unlikely to happen, but this is how my mind is working now. I don't want to leave my house and I think I may have a slight case of Post Tramatic Stress Disorder...I'm scared/worried all the time, I'm having trouble sleeping, and I constantly think about the whole thing over and over. I may need to think about seeing a counselor to talk about this, but this forum has been good so far...it's nice to know that I am not alone with this hip replacement. I haven't found too many stories about multiple hip dislocations and revision hip surgeries, but I may just be looking in the wrong place. This is my first forum, so I'm still learning how to navigate everything.:umm:
Thank you for listening and for everyone's kind words of wisdom!!:flwrysmile:
 
Just discovered your thread and all I can say is wow! You are a very tough individual to make it through all of this and keep as much of a positive outlook as you have shown. Anxiety and apprehension are certainly understandable, but I believe you will only get better, stronger and healthier from here.
 
@alg72
I'm so sorry I messed up AND I'm even more sorry about you having to go through such a terrible ordeal. As I read your post it brought tears to my eyes. I wish I could just hop in my car and come see you through this. It's hard enough emotionally to go through an uncomplicated THR, let alone what you're going through. You hang in there and know you have my prayers. xoxoxoxo
 
@gullimac : thank you for your kind and positive words--I can tell you that I don't feel very tough right now. I really feel defeated and everything opposite of "tough"' but I'm still here truckin' along:sorry:. I read a little bit of your story and I think you are the tough one! What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? I wish you continued success in your recovery as well!

@Cynthia777 : thank you for wanting to drive all the way to Indiana from California to see me through this--lol!
I'm really trying my best to hang in there and I know I have to let go of all this anxiety/apprehension. Not quite there yet, but I sure am trying. I am very blessed that I found this forum and have come across such nice people who get what I am going through. Thank you for your prayers!!:friends:

I'll keep everyone posted on what's going on with me both physically and mentally! Thank you all for your advice.
 
Hi everyone! Well, I am now 2 and a half weeks from my hip replacement revision. I had my first physical therapy (PT) appt. on Monday and it was great! Back to basics with doing glute, quad and hamstring flexes, and heel slides. Very simple, but understandable. The best part about it was just being out and about!! This was the first time I had been out of the house in 2 weeks! It felt good to be out, but it was nice to get back home where it's "safe". I want to go out more and do more things because I feel so helpless and unutilized, but I still don't have the confidence to even get out of my bed to sit in the living room! I really think I have some sort of PTSD, but at least the nightmares have subsided. Now, I'm just paranoid that I will dislocate again while I'm sleeping if I move a certain way. I have always been a good sleeper (I actually have a mild case of narcolepsy), but this hip ordeal has changed my sleeping patterns!
Just wanted to check in and get some reassurance that this will all be ok and that I am doing what I'm supposed to be doing! I want to move forward, but I don't want to overdo it!!:beg:Thanks for listening
 
I really think I have some sort of PTSD, but at least the nightmares have subsided.
Given what you have been through this may indeed be the case. Don't push yourself. It takes time to gain confidence especially after your experience. Obey any precautions you have and try to relax. Sleep problems post op are very common. You will indeed get back to living again. Just give that hip time to heal.
 
Just an update: so, I've had 4 PT appts. and they have gone well except for the last 2 times where I have cried just at the thought of another dislocation. First, when they put me on the stationary bike and it "felt funny" and not natural--I immediately stopped and got off of it!! The next time I started to tear up in (almost) a panic was when they asked me to get on my stomach so my hip flexor muscle could stretch--I told them no, not yet, I'm not ready for that (2nd dislocation was from rolling from my stomach to my back in bed). They didn't force me and they were understanding and didn't push it, but it made me feel like almost a failure because I am not this person--I usually will try anything because I am a people pleaser and a rule follower. But those 2 things scared me so much, I couldn't do them. I'm having other symptoms of PTSD (as I have mentioned before) and wonder if it's time to get some extra help with this. I'm almost at the end of my 4 weeks post op from my revision and I still just want to be in a "bubble" where I'm safe from anything that will possibly dislocate my hip again. I've been reading about this treatment for PTSD called EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing). Has anyone heard about or tried it? I thought about "talk therapy", but I really just want this fear of life to go away and this EMDR treatment seems to work for some people. I've heard that PTSD more of a psychological injury as opposed to a mental illness--not that it makes it better, but I've not heard the term "psychological injury" before. I'm starting feel more and more useless and confused by why I'm having these feelings. My positivity is barely holding on!:cry::rolleyes:
 
I'm having other symptoms of PTSD (as I have mentioned before) and wonder if it's time to get some extra help with this.
I think this is a very good idea. Can you start with going to your family doctor for advice?

I completely understand your fear and trying to get over this is going to take time. It does not matter if it's an injury or an illness - PTSD is real and no matter how major or minor it is - it does impact life. Please do not feel useless - you suffered trauma and you need help to get beyond the impact of this trauma and start living again.

Please do keep us updated!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom