Guest viewing is limited

TKR 6 weeks post op and missing my running....

One of our forum advisors (besides Jo) is full time nurse @newlybionic and could answer your question. She's just had her third TKR, so may take a day or so to answer.
 
I did just had my third replacement( no, I don't have more than 2 legs:heehee:) last Monday. I am a nurse and I've have a variety of different positions throughout my career. Being an RN with experience really can put you in the drivers seat. For the last year and a half I've been working at an outpatient dialysis clinic for a large international company. I work 10 to 12 hours a day but I always ask to not work more than two days in a row. I'm fortunate in that full time is only 30 hours a week to qualify for all full time benefits. I was something new for me. They taught me everything I needed to know and I had an extensive 6 month training period. This might be the perfect time to delve into a new area of nursing. That way when you are going back to work you will have some time to orient to that new position and not tight back to running around in an ER.
 
I am just about 7 months out and played soccer today. (right TKR) I didn't go crazy but played 80 minutes out of 90. My running felt really good but I am careful not to do any crazy sprinting.
I took it easy with my rehab, because of the advice here, and carefully built the muscles back up at the gym. I did little bits of running on the treadmill, earlier on, but found a bit of pain, so I stopped that. I then did biking every other day and that worked well.
So take it easy now and listen to your knee, it will let you know when to ramp up or dial it back...

Good luck and I hope you get back to running.
 
@newlybionic Thank you so much for your response. I am so afraid of going back to that job. So many people have been hurt in the last year or so from psych patients or very obese patients. I have applied for a PACU job in ortho where I had my knee done. I am praying that comes through. It would be good to work where I had such great care. All of the people there were fantastic and seemed to love their job. We will see.
 
And what a blessing you would be to the patients since you've already been through what they have!
 
Geoff, amazing. Does your OS support your interval running?

Hi

He said I am in the one percentile . I just had my checkup today. My skeletal structure is sound. Everything healed according to plan. I have no swelling and I am O and 120 degrees on my flexibility. They want to sponsor me for races and use me as a case study. He did warn me that I need to run with caution and try to limit my running routine for now. I am 3 to 4 days per week and I mix swimming and cycling into the mix. I just started doing light plyometrics today. I did a road cycling race where I was 15th out of 200 people on April 1st. I was first in my age group. I have a long way to go with my running but I can run at 10 minute pace for now. I ice at least 3 to 4 times daily. I really think that is why I don't have any swelling. I was religious about my pain medication protocol. I think it is imperative that you follow it with ice therapy.


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Please add your surgery date to your posts so everyone can see when you had it done.
 
@Cathleen
This is long, sorry!

I recently ran my first 5K after PKR and TKR in late 2015. I was slow, slow, slow - but it felt great. (The 30 pounds I've gained has more to do with the slowness than anything.) Mostly, I wanted to know I could do it again if I wanted to. I've pondered training for a 1/2 marathon, but I found the drive is no longer there to do any more distance than a 5K. 5Ks keep me in the game. The only thing that bothers me is that I love medals. It's rare to get a medal for a 5K!

I'm in the process of trying to figure out what my passion is these days. I had completed a few hard, distance mountain hikes before my first knee gave up the ghost. I loved it! So, I'm going to start hitting the trails soon and focus on flat ones for a while as I'm gaining more strength and endurance. My legs are pretty strong, but my endurance is horrible. A couple of friends who are currently training for marathons want to give distance running a break for while and are game for hiking...I hope it works out. Trekking poles will be with me.

All of this is to say that it takes a while. When they say a full year, believe it. But running again is possible if you wait for everything to heal and take it easy starting out. I tried running too soon in my recovery (seven months in) and it felt like my lower legs were totally detached from the upper legs. It felt odd and I decided my knees needed a little more time so I ditched the running and became more purposeful with my walking. When I could easily do a five mile walk, I started working on getting faster. Then I started doing run/walk intervals and did a C25K program with my running club and ran a 5K in March. The good news is that the muscle memory is strong and running felt wonderful. The first time I ran for 15 minutes solid, I felt like I was living my life in full color again.

I ignored all of those who said I shouldn't run. I had a little pain along the way, but nothing a couple of Tylenol and ice didn't mend by the next day. Now I'm to the point that if I don't get in a daily walk mixed with a little running, I end up with stiff knees. It took me a long time to get to this point, but life is finally back to normal. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to the point where I don't think about my knees, but I do think of them less.
 
@Joyfull61 Thank you so much for your post. It gives me hope. I will probably never long distance run again due to being afraid to wear out the knee. But if I could just get out there again one day at all my beautiful places to be outside and run I would be happy. I knew it would be a long time. I went and visited my favorite place to run today. I needed to go back and just sit and take it all in. It's beautiful...but I did breakdown and cry. I would have never understood the passion of running if I had never done it. Its magical and such a metaphor for life. It taught me so many life lessons that I will never forget. Thank you for hope!
 
8 weeks post op today! I went for my 8 week check up yesterday and the doctor and PA were very happy with my progress. I was all smiles in their office! I am feeling great! I don't have anymore pain and I am back at the gym. No running for me for a very long time, but I am making friends with low impact machines such as the elliptical. Free weights and core work are keeping me happy! I am feeling like an athlete again.

Not going back to work in the ER until 12 weeks. I am not looking forward to standing for 12 hours, but I did have a job interview today with an outpatient facility as a clinical coordinator and I am hoping I get it! It will put my mind at ease. The ER I work in is crazy nuts. I have had friends pushed down, tackled and punched in the face. I do not want to take the risk of ruining what I have worked so hard for :)

Prayers to everyone recovering!:praying:
 
Great report! Good luck with the job interview you had. I hope you get it.
 
I am so sorry I never ran but kickboxing was my daily hour plus habit nothing made me feel better then how I felt after so I understand you and am sorry
 
Good to hear you're doing well! Even schools are becoming violent. One of the reasons I retired was some violent 6 yr olds coming up. They liked to kick, bite and hit. Not for me and not for my knee.
 
Thank you! I am pleased with the progress and know now I made the right decision :)

Yes..I have see the very young ones in the ER and they can be quite violent. Our mental health system is soooo broken. I can't deal with the ER anymore. Hopefully on to new adventures!
 
I can't imagine 6 year olds acting like that. Shoot, back in my day, teachers could paddle us with a ruler. We respected and feared them instead of the teachers fearing us!
 
When you have to visit an ER it is a huge anxiety attack! No wonder it can become an abusive environment. Surely, not for everybody!
 
I walk 1/2 marathons. I'm taking this year off but still going out for some of the training with the walking group of the local running club. I've been at it for 10 years. You could try walking. I did one half and came in 2nd in my age group, around 15 minute miles. There were 2 of us and one person finished the race after me :walking: so I was next to last, but still competitive.:loll:
 
@Arttie I think that is awesome to walk them!!! So many people do around here. I will have to see where the road takes me. I am letting God take over..lol. Right now I am very pleased with what I am doing. Went back to PT to thank them for everything today. I am going to miss that great bunch of people!!!
 
If there is a low number of entries, I often walk alone during the event, but I enjoy contemplative walks.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom