Guest viewing is limited

6 months post-op but can't seem to exercise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope it is useful.. It is available as an eBook on Amazon :)
 
The best tip I have is to take it slow, but have fun! :) I see so many people come back to the forum four or six or eight months post-op because they jumped into some form of exercise and developed a new soft tissue injury. I don't think you would do that, but look at how many views your thread has. There are lots of members and guests reading this, so they can learn from you too.
And those people that do not exercise have a serious case of soft tissues swelling as in their backsides swelling to twice as big as before. Egads Alex no one here is suggesting jumping out of an airplane the day after all restrictions were lifted, we here are talking about progressing at a slow/medium rate. As you yourself have stated. I think we can agree on as soon as you can get up and move, and of course follow your restrictions. The recommendation of seeking medical attention before starting any physical fitness program needs not to be said, as you are already under medical care. The important thing is to get moving as soon as you feel up to it and are able to do it safely.
Peace be with you
 
I'm not sure where you got the impression that I was warning people not to jump out of airplanes. :what: I was talking about people who develop serious, painful injuries as a result of too much activity too soon after surgery. These activities include things like walking or easy gym work that would not be problematic for someone who had not undergone surgery.

I think we can agree on as soon as you can get up and move...

No, actually, I cannot agree with that as a blanket recommendation. Movement is important, but for people who have recently had joint replacement surgery there is a need to proceed with some caution, beyond not leaping from airplanes. In my years as a member of Bonesmart and decades as a professional athletic trainer, I have seen many people develop repetitive-stress injuries in the early months after surgery. This happens because there is a mismatch between their perception of "progressing at a slow/medium rate" and what their bodies actually need in order to heal. I have seen many people set back their recoveries by months, after trying to return too quickly to their normal pre-op exercise regimen. For this reason, my advice will continue to be to take things slowly, to allow your body to continue to heal. This is especially so when I see someone complaining of increased pain or immobility after attempting to start or return to exercise.
 
randy62 Post surgery recovery is so individual and depends on so many different variables..

Pre surgery mobility
Complications during or post surgery
Having to return to work - earlier than preferred
Working long hours in a profession - then working time taken up with general living - no time for scheduled exercise
And, dare I say age.. we do slow down!

Movement is important, but Alex is so correct... when she indicated that we see so many members jump out of the starting block, only to return with soft tissue injuries or worse.

Recovery from a THR is the individuals journey... no one else's.... and the individual has to do what they think is right for their journey.

I procrastinated for 8 years, ending up leaning on my elbows on a walker for the last two years.. there was no way I could hurry my recovery and at 21 months post, I know there is still a long way to go.. BUT, I am doing it my way, 'slow and steady, remembering every day it is a marathon not a sprint'... and as a result my hip is strong.. this is my individual story! and this is what I love about the forum, we are all different and so are our recovery stories :)
 
Hi all! Well I am learning my lesson the hard way. alexthecat and Poppet it feels like I am one of those unlucky ones right now. I am back on 1 and sometimes 2 crutches since yesterday! It is just too painful for me to walk otherwise. I don't really understand it as I really pulled back on activity but after driving a few miles yesterday when I got out of the car and try to stand the pain was bad. I had hoped that whatever I strained or pulled last week would have mended itself by now. Am seeing my doctor tomorrow and my OS as soon as I can get an appointment but what are they going to tell me? rest, rest, rest and take the drugs? It's actually hard to pinpoint where the actual pain is located, sometimes above the knee sometimes below.
Poppet i ordered that book and the knee one. Don't think I'll be trying the exercises for a while yet but I could have lots of time on my hands for reading....:hairpulling:
 
Hi lizzie66, I have been reading your thread with interest as I think I am also one of the unlucky ones.I had my right hip replaced 5 months ago and until about 2 weeks ago I was doing ok then the left side started to hurt both the hip and the knee.The pain was like the Preop pain I had had on the right side with the knee hurting more than the hip.I decided to rest for a few days which I drives me up the wall and to up the painkillers. Now the left hip pain has almost gone but the knee is still bad but now the right side is bad again with groin pain as well as pain in the outer hip and buttock. I have seen my GP and have been referred to the Muscular Skeletal Clinic.I am not seeing my OS until December but the NP at the surgery did not think it necessary to request an earlier appointment My appointment with the clinic is not until 26th September.As the discomfort on the right side sounds like bursitis I am considering starting some stretches given to another user on here by her physio which helped.I will start to walk again but only about 0.3 mile to start with today.I also have the book on knees recommended on here and have read it but not ready to try the exercises just yet.I know what you mean about having difficulty in pin pointing the location of the pain as it moves around so much.I hope that you get some a swears from your doctor .Please let us know.
 
lizzie66 I can totally relate to exactly what you are experiencing and the frustration you feel. I had my surgery, a revision, about two weeks after yours and I never thought my recovery would take so long. Like you, I was anxious, probably too anxious, to get back to my normal life after the operation. Six months out, I felt like I was doing as bad or worse as three months earlier. The surgeon looked at the xrays and pronounced himself satisfied. That's was when I was most thankful for our Bonesmart friends.
I know what you mean by getting out of the car. Sometimes I'd rate the pain about an 8, but very brief. I'm so sorry to hear that you are back on crutches after going to the gym. I've had better luck getting a little cardio by swimming in the ocean as often as possible. Try not to get completely discouraged. I've had plenty of setbacks and felt like I was going in the wrong direction. That's when I know I need to rest more and after a few days I start to feel a little better and I get hopeful again. Let us know how your visit to the doctor goes and how you're doing in the days ahead. Good luck!
 
Hi lizzie66, Kim22 and LarryG... I am so sorry that you are all experiencing issues. I so understand! I wish I had the answers for you, but I can share my frustrations

I don't say too much about my THR recovery on the forum, but I say heaps to dear hubby..sort of goes like this...

I am 21 months post, why am I so tired and exhausted all the time?
Why cant I walk as far as I would like without experiencing pain somewhere (not on or in my operated hip)?
Why does vacuuming the house wipe me out?
Why does wandering around the supermarket feel like a marathon?
Why do my hamstring muscles hurt?
Why do I sometimes get a sharp pain shoot down my incision?
Etc. etc...

DH keeps saying to me... Time and patience babe... Oh boy! Have I learned patience.... never a strong point with me.

I so understand your frustration.. I am not saying it is 'time and patience' for you but I hope you get answers soon, my thoughts are with you.. Hugs from OZ
 
Kim22 LarryG Poppet - fellow sufferers! thanks for your kind works and support. As i said to my hubbie this morning my pain is invisible to everyone else. At least people on Bonesmart really understand! When i had my op I was told I would have a great summer, be well recovered by then. It was a good summer til recently but now i hope autumn won't be hard. I am putting all timeframes for recovery out of my mind for the moment though. Got appt to see my OS at the end of the week so maybe he will be able to help. I'm resting, resting but the housework is looking at me undone.....
 
I have a question related to pain - but I don't want to hijack this thread - so if I need to post elsewhere - I will. I have am having some pain/discomfort when walking still and am about 7.5 weeks post op. I have a limp that I am trying to get rid of - but sometimes I just can't :gaah: I have been asked whether it feels like muscle pain or bone pain. To be honest, I am not sure and sometimes it varies. It is worse when I have not been active - like sitting in a car for a long period or watching a movie and forgetting to M-O-V-E. Generally, there is no pain unless I am beginning to put weight on it - like taking a step. If I stand with weight on the leg the pain goes away within a couple of seconds but then comes back when I take the weight off and put it back on. (does that make any sense???) How can you distinguish between bone and muscle pain? Josephine - can you explain it? Sometimes some ibupropfen takes care of it. Sometimes not. As those of you who have read my other posts know, patience is not an attribute of mine. :umm: I want to be better and I want it NOW. I really did not think that I would have pain (or a limp) at 8 weeks. When the doc asked if I had less pain now than before - it is a yes and no answer. Pain before was mostly burning, aching and it would sometimes keep me awake all night. None of that now. I sleep like a baby. However, before I didn't think about each and every step and trying not to limp.

Ok, whine over. We all heal differently and as Josephine has reminded me - recovery is not a straight line but rather a maze. However, I wanted to be the poster child for a perfect hip replacement. It is the over achiever in me. . . :tada:
 
. Shadow09 It's very common to still have pain 7.5 weeks post-op. What is your activity level like these days? Are you taking any medicine for the pain? Do you ice your hip and elevate your leg? Do you work outside the home?

. lizzie66 A little swimming is not going to damage your new hip joint. However, as you know, your body is very complex and you have a lot going on. I'm glad you are seeing your surgeon soon. Keep us posted, okay?

. Kim22 I agree that the stretches for bursitis micht help you. There is a thread in the Library about Iliopsoas Syndrome that might also be useful. I'm on my phone right now, so I'm not giving you a link. I'm sure you know how to find that anyway.
 
Hi alexthecat. The problem is I want to be uncommon . . . in a good way! :heehee: Yes, I work @ a desk job. Currently working 4 - 10 hr days/wk. I do try to get up and move about once and hour . . . but sometimes forget :doh: . . . Doing PT 2X week. Usually feels fine while doing therapy and sometimes sore the day after. Just taking ibuprofen PRN for pain. Took a couple this morning and now it feels pretty good. I can still feel it when I walk but I am able to walk without a significant waddle (most of the time) the way it is now. Yesterday, not as good. I elevate a bit when I get home (recliner) and in bed at night (pillow)- until I turn over or something. I have not been icing for a couple of weeks :blush: - life seems to get in the way . . .
 
It's hard when you have to return to work so early in recovery. That's plenty of activity though, so I think you should consider cutting back on PT or eliminating it completely. I would recommend icing. At work, if you can, and definitely at home. Ibuprofen is not a very effective pain medicine. Tylenol is better, if you're able to take that. Most people don't take enough of it. The effective dose is 1000 mg.

You know, you already are uncommon, because you returned to work so early. From what you've shared, it sounds like you're doing really well. Just be patient. Most people see a lot of changes by twelve weeks.
 
Thanks Alex. I was actually thinking I might benefit from doing some additional exercise since it feels better when active. I was thinking of something like a stationary bike. Why is tylenol more effective than ibuprofen? Funny, I had always thought the opposite . . . I guess I do need to be patient - but that is a hard thing for me.
 
alexthecat For those of us in Europe, do you know what the equivalent of tylenol is? I take ibuprofen and it suits me mornings to get me moving. I sincerely hope i won't be on it longterm though. Sometimes I also take paracetemol but find it less effective.

on exercise, I would never knowingly exercise through pain. I feel pain is telling me something is wrong and I need to stop and rest. Problem is I sometimes go all out and overdo it and don't find out til too late that I have damaged something. I'm going to try ice on my leg now. Haven't tried it in a while but it might be worth a go...
 
I have been asked whether it feels like muscle pain or bone pain.
Who on earth asked you that bit of inspired nonsense! :doh:
I want to be better and I want it NOW.
Don't we all? But you know what the answer to that is - TOUGH!
I really did not think that I would have pain (or a limp) at 8 weeks.
Well now you know different! If incorrectly managed, it can go on for several more weeks yet!
Doing PT 2X week. Usually feels fine while doing therapy and sometimes sore the day after.
What an earth for? You are at work. With that and getting up to go to work and doing stuff when you get home, the last thing you need is PT. The fact that you feel sore the next day is confirmation of that. Remember the mantra:
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!

Besides which, hips have a way of sorting themselves out given half a chance. Most of the problems people have in the first few weeks are self-inflicted anyway - doing too much too early.
Just taking ibuprofen PRN for pain.
Ye Gods and little fishes! The advertising men are going to have a lot to answer for in the next life! The people they have tricked with their advertising.
Why is tylenol more effective than ibuprofen? Funny, I had always thought the opposite
I don't actually know why but I know it is. Gram for gram, acetaminophen has about 40% more pain controlling effect than ibuprofen. Besides which, there are consequences to NSAIDs that the ads never mention, like kidney failure and serious stomach bleeds. They are on the increase in the UK and the authorities are very concerned about it. I do know that an awful lot of GPs will now only prescribe NSAIDs for short periods, a week at the most.
I take ibuprofen and it suits me mornings to get me moving. I sincerely hope i won't be on it long term though. Sometimes I also take paracetamol but find it less effective.
Tell me how much you take of each and how often.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom