TKR 6 months out - clicking in knee

@Josephine I do have a TENS machine. I haven't used it in a while, but should probably take it out and try it again. It didn't seem to help all that much before.
 
Probably because you weren't using it properly. Quite a lot of people don't know how to and discard them as useless. Read that article as I've put specific instructions in there.

It's like people who tell me they never use Tylenol as it's useless but then tell me they only take one regular tablet at a time which is 325mg. The proper, effective dose is 1,000mg. Many, having tried that, then come back to say "wow - it worked"!
 
@Josephine I'll pull out my TENS unit when I get home today and plugg 'er up. I bought some tylenol 500 mgs yesterday, and they seem to work great, taking 2 at a time, of course. I don't want to even come close to the 4000 daily limit though, so will be watching to make sure I don't take too many. Took some last night that had the sleep aid. It worked, but I woke up after 6 hours, then did the vibrator on my back and took a Tramadol. Yesterday I only worked 4 hours, but went to bed exhausted at 7pm and didn't get back out of bed until 7am. I'm going to have to learn to baby myself more.
 
This is the time in your life that you need to take care of yourself. So many times we think we need to take care of the world. But we can't do that if we haven't taken care of ourselves. This is temporary. Enjoy the babying while you can.
 
I'll pull out my TENS unit when I get home today and plugg 'er up.
:happydance:
I bought some tylenol 500 mgs yesterday, and they seem to work great, taking 2 at a time, of course.
:yes!:
I don't want to even come close to the 4000 daily limit though, so will be watching to make sure I don't take too many
Don't fret about it. The FDA is too nannying in my opinion! They lowered their recommendation to 3,000mg per 25hrs because (and I quote) people might not take care to notice other medications such as cold remedies have acetaminophen in them"! In most other countries in the world, the safe level is 4,000mg but we don't get obsessed about it. It's taking in excess of the maximum that is dangerous. 4k is the SAFE maximum per 24hrs. That is, of course, unless the patient already has liver issues then they'd be best to avoid Tylenol altogether - but that's just common sense, don't you think? So my message for the day is, take it as you need it but stay within the guidelines.
 
I've decided on a name for my RTKR. Arnie (R-knee... get it?) When I get my left one done in a year or two, that one will be Ellnie (had a little difficulty figuring out the spelling for this one...suggestions welcomed!).
 
@Josephine I used my TENS unit last night for about 45 minutes. It helped, but minimally. I read your post on it and felt like I had the pads in the correct positions.

Today I think I was just having a bad day. Didn't get out of bed till 11am and took 1000 mg Tylenol at noon. At 2pm I was just aching so much that I got on the floor and laid there for half an hour or so. Went back to bed at 3pm and took ½ an Oxy. I had the nicest little nap!

Got up at 6pm and haven't had any more pain meds. Here's hoping I sleep tonight... I'm going to take the other half of the Oxy.
 
I used my TENS unit last night for about 45 minutes. It helped, but minimally.
That's a good start. Don't forget that nothing in this recovery happens instantly.
Keep trying with the TENS unit and you could see a gradual improvement.
 
So if you got out of bed at 11am, at what time did you take the previous dose of anything? Was it before you went to bed? Because if so, then you went about 12 hours without any medication at all. That's not the proper way to manage pain.

Six weeks out is still very early and slap bang in the middle of the 'angry tissue' phase. You would be far better to be on a strict schedule of main meds. I suggest you take the Tylenol at regular 6hrly intervals regardless of how you think you feel.

And for what it's worth, ½ a tablet of oxy has less pain killing power than the 1,000mg Tylenol!

Just because it's one of the 'bad guy' prescription pain meds, don't be fooled into think that a teeny, tiny dose will work wonders because it won't! BUT you will still be exposed to some of the side effects but not have the usual benefits of it, so what's the point? Forget the oxy for the time being and take the Tylenol as suggested.
 
@Josephine I've noticed that it takes about 30 minutes before any pain medicines I take kick in. The ½ oxy knocks out the pain, quiets my restless legs and makes me very sleepy, so I have started taking it at night when I go to bed. If I take a whole one at night, I tend to sleep very late the next morning. I did take a whole one that night, hence the 11am wake up that morning. The Tylenol helps, but in my experience, not as much as the oxy, however it has the added benefit of not making me sleepy, so is better to take during the day for me.

Anyway, I'm so glad to have found this forum. Yesterday was a rough day, and reading through a lot of the posts helped tremendously, especially the one on depression. I don't think I'm depressed, but yesterday I was definitely feeling the blues.
 
I've recently had some swelling in my ankle. Is this ok/normal, or do I need to elevate and ice more? I ice my knee twice a day at work, leaving the ice pack in place around an hour or so, and the swelling isn't too bad, just annoying.
 
I think it's a good idea to ice more than twice a day. In fact, ice and elevate every time you sit down - and do it for at least 45 minutes each time.
 
@Celle I have a really nice couple of ice packs that mold to my knee, and I keep them on with elastic wrapping with a velcro closure. It stays in place, and I wear them until the cold disappears. I think the swelling comes from sitting. I don't get the same swelling when I'm at home lounging around. In fact, today was really great, I didn't remember to take any pain medicine, and I wasn't in any pain, and had no swelling. I didn't ice either. Just had a really great day. When I sit at work, I think that causes the swelling in my ankles. I sit most of the day and try to get up and walk periodically, but by the end of the workday, I can't wait to get home and lounge!
 
Hi GinGer,

When I returned to work at 8 weeks post op, I started to get more swelling in my ankles and calves. I bought knee high mild compression socks (Amazon had fun colors) and started wearing them. It reduced the swelling and general achiness. I usually didn't wear them to bed but I found that if I was having a particularly bad evening with aches and restlessness, wearing them to bed reduced the restlessness and I slept better.

Since you are back at work fairly early, you might want to give them a try.
 
@Josephine I work in administration doing budget work and some secretarial type tasks. I work on a computer most of the day, taking breaks to get up and walk.

@Want2hike that sounds like a great suggestion. I'll look for some of those compression socks and try them out.

I think I'm getting a lot better since working isn't as rough as it was last week. I didn't even look at the clock longingly wishing I was at home! I was tired this evening though. Like everyone says, it is just going to take time to recover from this thing...
 
You did go back to work rather early, @ginGerF21 . We usually recommend taking about 12 weeks of and then a
Phased return to work

Many people find that their pain and swelling increase for a while when they go back to work, but it settles down again as their body becomes used to the extra load.

Can you elevate your leg at all while you're at work? That could help reduce some of the swelling.
 
@Celle I try to elevate it at work every now and then.... It looks kind of wacky because I don't have a lot of room and I try to prop it up on the edge of my desk. I've gotten some pretty weird looks from my coworkers, but hey, it feels better, especially when I'm icing it at the same time.
 
Hey everyone. It has been six months since my TKR (right knee), and I am thrilled with it. I had such a great experience that I am looking forward to having my left knee done later this year. I have been experiencing clicking with my knee however, and was wondering if it will stop over time. It might click up to four times per step at times. I've gotten mostly used to it, and it doesn't hurt, but it is feels weird. My surgeon says clicking is normal, but I was wondering what everyone else experiences with this.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom