Guest viewing is limited

THR 6 days post hip replacement feeling a lot of pain^

Exactly!!! At 4 weeks I'm just thinking I maybe did the right thing. It's scary!!!
 
@tlenny00 Hope you are doing some better...I know it's very early on.
 
Thanks for the support everyone! Unfortunately I had to call my doctor today at the visiting nurse's request. Yesterday I started getting a pinched type of pain deep in my hip joint every time I put weight on my leg (with new hip). I had this type of pain before my hip replacement too so this is very concerning, although it didn't start up again until yesterday. I also have pain in my groin and shooting pain down my right leg (with new hip) that feels like it's in my bone. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow since I had my surgery and I'm so frustrated that I'm not doing better!
 
tlenny.
By all means its no harm at all.to contact the surgery and maybe have an xray if you are very concerned even just for peace of mind to check that the hip is all right.
Are you taking pain meds as prescribed or as directed on the box ?
What's your activity level are you doing a lot of stuff in the house ?
Are you getting enough rest and when you do are you icing and elevating ?
The dreaded PT, if your doing any then why not stop for a while ?
That pain does need to settle and I believe it will.
Hope your appointment goes well.
Joe.......
 
I am feeling down because I thought I would be so much better at this point (17 days). I don't feel like there's much of an improvement since my last post 6 days ago.
Well, you just need to be patient because 17 days is nothing!
Yesterday I started getting a pinched type of pain deep in my hip joint every time I put weight on my leg
Can you tell the exact point of this pain using this chart? Also which approach you had (THR approaches or incisions)

[Bonesmart.org] 6 days post hip replacement feeling a lot of pain^
[Bonesmart.org] 6 days post hip replacement feeling a lot of pain^
 
Hi Josephine, the area where it pinches when i put weight on my leg is R28 & W, but it feels very deep in that area. My nurse practitioner thinks it's caused by inflammation I have in my lower back that is pressing on a nerve.
 
I am 8 days post op and completely understand your situation. Most of what you've described has been my first week as well. I've been put right by a few nice folks here, and by my visiting therapist, that this is not as easy as it seemed like it might be and that this is a MAJOR operation.

I read so many stories about people feeling instantly great after their surgery and being able to walk again very soon. Watched many youtube videos of patients in the hospital just 18 hours after surgery walking much better than I am at 8 days.

But tiny little improvements are making themselves known each day. So I had to reconcile myself to patience and slow down my push to be normal a bit. I just took an extra pain tablet each day, started resting and icing more, and cut back on my PT a bit, and I believe I can see the benefits already.

I also felt like my implant was too large, stiff, tight, etc. But I have to remember that even when I was younger and had a tooth filled, it felt weird and altered my bite just a little bit. Something this major is bound to feel extraordinary.

I'm even noticing a strange issue in my non-operated leg, where I feel this rubber band like snapping sensation like something is catching on a nerve or tendon and twanging it like a guitar string when I walk. I think the whole body will probably manifest a few strange quirks while this process plays out, so hang in there and by all means consult your doctor again if you need further examination or a fresh xray to set your mind at ease.

Just wanted you to know that my experience has been almost exactly like yours and you are not alone in what you're feeling and perceiving.
 
I am 1 year post op r thr, 11 months post L thr and 8 months post op left THR revision. (See my post for details)

I can say that a lot of the other comments are correct.

You are still very early on in your recovery. Rest and ice should be your primary concern. Regular small trips (hourly) to bathroom and for drinks etc are good but don't push yourself. If your not feeling good, rest. I slept a lot in these first weeks.

You mentioned your meds not agreeing with you- have you stopped taking them or are you still taking them? If they still don't agree with you get to the dr/surgeon for an alternative, you can't push through the pain- it's major surgery- your body needs time to heal.
I too never took pain meds pre-op unless they were over the counter so I didn't tolerate strong meds very well. I worked out that the smallest dose of the opioids worked enough for me without making me sick (with some trial and error).

As for the significant pain down your leg- I would say consult surgeon if you are concerned. It is a bit of an adjustment and I felt like my one leg was longer than the other for a while- as someone else posted- similar to a filling it will feel strange for a while, then you won't know any different!

I am going so well now. I had three surgeries in 6 months (each thr 6 weeks apart then revision after 3 months) and each recovery was different. I urge you to relax and let your body recover. It can do amazing things. Look forward to keeping up with your journey.

You can do it!
 
R28? There isn't an R28 on the chart. Look again
 
Back
Top Bottom