Revision THR 55 male cyclist 2019 October Revision THR

Six weeks today! I hope you're doing well.
Wishing you continued healing and a Happy Thanksgiving.
We all have a lot to be thankful for with our new hips and second chances. May you enjoy the holiday with those you hold dear.
Best wishes until next time. :wave:
@Corey W

Happy Six Week Anniversary! Hope everything is going well and the healing is continuing. Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving!

Following your journey with much interest.

My OS does 20% anterior. I checked with another: Same ratio. My OS prefers posterior lateral because he has better access, and more flexibility if stuff happens. My femoral implant is also quite long.

I did spend a night in the hospital with the first hip. He considers me a candidate for day surgery with the next hip.

And I had no postop restrictions. OS said that was due to an optimal bone structure.

So my case, posterior turned out to be fine, and hardly different in the recovery.

Activity. I walk less and workout (upper body: presses, bench presses, chins on a machine) more. Walking at this site’s recommendation is a literal pain in the butt! I just do what’s not painful, and I ice afterwards.

Last edited:
Happy Thanksgiving, Corey.
Still sending healing mojo your way.:yes:

@Corey W Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you are progressing and feeling better with each passing day.

seven weeks today! Saw my OS yesterday and everything is going as it should. I has my Picc line removed last week but still am taking oral antibiotics for 2 more weeks. Never have cultured anything but Dr still said it could have been my impacted tooth caused the failure or he made the stem too short. He apologized and said I was his first failed hip. I assured him that i only want to get healthy and right now that is the plan. MY steps are right at 9,000 a day right now and I am back in the gym again. He asked me to wait the full 90 days before riding outdoors and I agreed. Its easy this time of year. I have invested in a Wahoo Kickr and a Zwift subscription (@Harryn1 ) to keep my cycling indoors and be safe from falling. I am really enjoying the realism of a "smart" trainer and my recovery rides are progressing. Friends that work out with me have all commented that I am taking it much slower this go. My pain levels stay low even after 12,000 steps and I use my trusty ice packs to reduce the swelling. The hip feels very stable and my strength is returning. In total I have gained 25 pounds this year since I could not contain my appetite. I realized it was happening since sitting around eating became the norm. Now we enter cookie season and I have too be mindful of my diet as I hope to lose 5 pounds in December. All in all 2019 was a bad year for me and I can't wait to see it gone. Thanks to all my hipsters for their support and advice. I will report back after my Jan6 visit with Dr. Have a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year my friends!

You sound like you are progressing well @Corey W ! You also sound like you are in a good place mentally, too. That is also very important. I'm sure getting the Picc line removed was a big relief, too!
The weight gain.. sigh. Many of us struggle with that. I just stepped on the scale this morning and am showing a 3 pound deficit. Ironically I've lost weight in December before, so hoping to continue that tradition.
Interesting about that impacted tooth, does that mean that the tooth needs to be extracted sometime soon? Like after the precautionary time period after a THR?
Thank you for the holiday well wishes and I wish you the same!! Ho Ho Ho!

@CricketHip Nice work on the 3 pound loss! Our new hips need the best shot and getting to a proper weight can only help. I actually had the tooth pulled 3 days before the revision. This can be why my blood counts were elevated but doesn't explain the fluid in the hip. I have read that tooth infections are a cause of failed hips, but my tooth didn't hurt until 5 weeks after the first hip. I will never know the root cause of the failure, but I know longer fret it. Gotta move forward in life, learn from mistakes, and make the most of every day! Your right hip must be feeling pretty good by now I hope?

Happy Seven Week Anniversary!
It's nice to hear from you, Corey, and encouraging to read the picc line is now history. :yes!: you seem to be doing well. Crazy well actually, by the standards of most of us mere mortals, lol. Very encouraging news! I think even the most disciplined of us tend to over indulge during the holidays. I like your description "cookie season" and bars and cakes and pies oh my!

It's great to read you can put the failure behind you while still unsure of the reason. It's a New Year, new life, new you. Make 2020 great! Something tells me you will.
Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year. :)
@Corey W

Ahh, ok.. I must have missed that on your thread. sorry! That was worrying me. Now I can put that to rest. :egypdance:

Right hip is behaving nicely. I see my OS in about 2 weeks and am interested in what he thinks, too.
I have an annoying feeling of a pinch in my groin when I do certain things but am hoping it's from resuming a physical job, etc. It doesn't slow me down or hurt when walking or working, only when I test it through ROM.
We have been getting out on the weekend and racking up between 10 and 12,000 steps so it's all good!
Re: the weight, I bet you will drop yours easily. Men seem blessed with a better metabolism. I am adding my weight workout back and hoping that will help, too. I've been away from that for too long.

Quick note to respond to mutwa comment re outpatient THR ... my understanding is that Medicare requires an overnight stay for this type of surgery.

My OS and I discussed this, but he was reminded by his staff of that restriction.

If not filed under Medicare, there‘s no restriction.

@Corey W :yes!: So glad you are doing so well!!:thumb:
With your routines I doubt that extra 25lbs will be around for long.
Holiday cookies are hard to resist.

:wave:@Corey W
So good to see you are feeling stronger and doing well.
Continued best wishes for a wonderful Christmas and a Happy 2020.:biking:

12 week update: Surgeon cleared me of all restrictions last night!!! IT's been a challenge holding back as my hip feels better and better each week. I did ride outdoors a few times in late December when we had 50 degree weather in Chicago and I did join the ODIC after I pulled a calf muscle on a hard push. The calf was so swollen I thought it was a clot, but a few days of ice, compression, and rest did the trick. I still have some numbness in the area of the 2nd cut as well as limited range of motion, but strength and stability are awesome. My fitbit steps are usually around 10,000 but have gone as high as 18,000. My gym routine has included elliptical and spin bike plus lifting. I will rejoin SPIN classes this week which is cool. My surgeon and I discussed my other hip and (when not if) it needs to get done he still would use the anterior approach but he said he would use a larger stem. He also said no hard feelings if I used a different surgeon after this outcome. I will decide when the time comes, but leaning toward posterior approach based on the view the surgeon has of the femur and the ability to deeply ream the femur bone before installing the stem. While it is possible I had an infection caused by a tooth, I still believe my OS used the wrong stem for me. I have decided NOT to pursue any legal action and I just want to get on with life. 2019 was a gloomy year so in 2020 I do not need to go back and revisit this over and over with a lawsuit. Thanks to all my BS friends for the support and information. You all have given me great advice and a shoulder to cry on when things went bad. Nothing but LOVE for y'all. I'll try to update over time but feel free to message me anytime if you want to hear how hip #2 is doing. Going to celebrate today with a Zwift group ride!!! Peace Out!

:yes!::happydance::yahoo:@Corey W So happy to hear from you and know you are doing so well!

Wishing you a wonderful 2020 and hoping hip2 behaves for a while.

:bicycle1:

@Corey W

That's great news !!! and so pleased things are going in the right direction.

What lifting are you doing light/heavy/bodyweight ? and what on your legs abductor/adductor/extension/press/squat ?

All the very best for 2020

Hey Corey, Great to hear how well you are doing. It took some serious discipline for you to slow down and take your recovery literally a step (or a pedal) at a time. Good for you! I, too, strongly suspect I had a femoral stem that was too small and that caused me to be at high risk of loosening. Although I was not considering it, my revision surgeon (nothing to do with the original surgeon or practice) said I wouldn't win a lawsuit because the prosthesis size is a judgment call by the surgeon. It usually wouldn't rise to the level of malpractice. "Bad luck" is a major confounding factor. Like you, I just wanted to get on with life after finally having a stable hip. I'm sort of a fan of the posterior approach also. Even though the recovery might be longer, and there are temporary restrictions, I like giving the surgeon optimal access.
I predict great things for you in your future cycling endeavors. Happy New Year! :biking:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Bassetmom
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom