Guest viewing is limited

TKR 5 weeks post op and really anxious

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can tell you that with both my tkrs ROM only started to come as swelling decreased.
With my first tkr, the PT gave me the old MUA scare talk. If you're not at x degrees the OS will want to do an MUA, blah blah. And, wanting to be a compliant patient, I let him have me do too much too early. Needless pain.

The OS was fine with my progress both times and I was slow to get to 90 and beyond.

My PT with my second tkr focused on icing and gentle exercises. I went to PT 2x/week for about 1/2 hour and did just a little exercise on my own. (Less than they told me to as I trusted my instincts and what my knee was telling me I was up for.) If you had weakened muscles before the surgery, there's plenty of time to work on those gradually after your tissues are more recovered from the trauma of the surgery. That's what I did, anyway.
 
When they took me off blood thinner so I could take Alieve ..that made a big difference.. In just 2 days my swellin went down 50%.
 
Thank you both for your messages....
Today I went to see the physio. She is heaven sent. She has not seen me for 6 days and was over the moon with me today... My swelling has gone down substantially and notably. I told her exactly what I have been doing...ice, high elevation and rest with little walks. She is in agreement and has simply used hot towels and oil to massage the muscles around about, which are tense and disrupted. She measured me at 60 when I came in and then after this by simply sitting me at the edge of the couch at the end of the session with no pain and only therapeutic intervention I got 75! Thank you all.....your mantra appears to be working!
Kneeper - your story looks like it may be mine too.
Truckinguy - I still have around 2 weeks more to take ...it will be interesting to see if discontinuation has any affect.
One thing I learned today - it's still been difficult for me to sleep past 03.30 when I wake up with pain in my thigh muscles - the physio has advised that because my extension is not at '0' then I should be sleeping with a rolled up towel behind my knee which will stop the stress on my thigh....I didn't know this - hopefully I'll sleep like the proverbial baby tonight :yawn::sleep:
 
the physio has advised that because my extension is not at '0' then I should be sleeping with a rolled up towel behind my knee which will stop the stress on my thigh.
I don't think you should sleep with a rolled up towel behind your knee. That can slow down your circulation and may make you more prone to developing a blood clot.

Have you tried sleeping on your side, with your operated knee on top and a pillow between your knees? That way, you can have your operated knee slightly bent. It isn't necessary to sleep on your back with your legs straight.

Or you could elevate your leg, with pillows, like the picture below. It's not necessary to have your leg completely straight.
[Bonesmart.org] 5 weeks post op and really anxious
 
I agree with Celle, elevate with pillows before putting anything under the knee. At about 4 weeks I was able to sleep on my side for a bit by placing my left natural leg over my RTKR. But it only worked for a short while, the rest of the time I slept with the leg elevated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom