Guest viewing is limited

THR 5 Weeks Out<

Thank you! :) Taking it easy is such a foreign concept these days, isn’t it? But it makes such good sense. And, the patience muscle is an important one to keep using! I’m finding that what is a big deal today, will be small tomorrow, or in a day or two. Things seem to work themselves out, and it’s best not to focus on them too much. :thumb:
 
I’m finding that what is a big deal today, will be small tomorrow, or in a day or two. Things seem to work themselves out, and it’s best not to focus on them too much. :thumb:
Great insight...and great advice.:friends:
All temporary and the results are well worth it.:ok:
 
@Khaspi
I have to say WOW at the list of exercises you had been doing. I did very little in the way of exercise. Mine mostly consisted of walking up and down stairs when necessary as I have a lot of them in this house.
My recovery has been really good with very little pain. We can't compare ourselves with others as everyone is different so I would say just be patient and you will get there.
 
Makes me feel a bit better about myself needing pain meds at 2 weeks out! I thought I was being a wimp lol. Did aBIG revision on my leg, much larger incision than when my spacer was put in which still is very sore in muscles etc.
 
Well...here I am...heading into week 8. I’m not where I thought I’d be, but I’m better than I was last time you heard from me. It’s definitely baby steps now.

I mentioned before, I am bone on bone in my knee on the surgery side. That has become an issue in my recovery, and also the residual numbness in my leg and foot. I tried to strike out and push myself a little by using a cane when I went to PT last week. I totally tripped and fell! :yikes:It was more like a “crumple”. I didn’t hurt anything but my pride. But I was advised that I should stick with the walker until all numbness is gone, and I know what I’m dealing with on the knee. That makes total sense! So much for advancing to the cane. :boohoo:

But, I’m seeing small improvements in my mobility so I’m happy about that, and my pain level is low. :yes!: For these things I am thankful! (Just in time for Thanksgiving!) :ok:

I see my surgeon next week and will talk about the numbness and knee surgery. I’m wondering how long I should wait before getting the knee done. I used to think I would wait a year or so. But now, with the knee effecting my hip recovery, I wonder if it should be done sooner. Yikes! I don’t feel mentally up to another surgery right now. :nah:I guess that has a lot to do with it, too.

So...yeah... that’s where I’m at in week 8! :yes:
 
I'm so glad you weren't hurt.
That must've been super scary.:scaredycat:
Then there's the getting up...
I'm sorry your knee is giving you do much trouble while you are recovering from your hip.
Do they recommend a wrap of any sort?
This recovery business can be slower than we but I'm glad you don't have that terrible hip pain.
Keep the faith @Khaspi :angel:
 
@Khaspi
Glad you didn't do any serious damage when you fell.
I understand the issue with your knee too. I am on the waiting list for a knee replacement and that's likely to be around April but in the interim I am having a hip replacement on the same side on 24th Nov. My knee is so bad that I am sure it's going to hamper my hip recovery but to be truthful I didn't do much activity when I had my other hip done in July. That seems to have progressed well. So fingers crossed it will all work out ok.
I hope,yours does too
 
Thank you! And best wishes for your upcoming surgery! You are getting them all done one right after the other...getting them out of the way! Amazing!
:yes!:

@Mojo333
Oh yeah... the getting up! Everyone was telling me what to do, how to get up, but I couldn’t do it. I finally ended up pulling myself up on to a chair that someone brought over. That worked! :idea:
I definitely don’t want that to happen again.
I’ll look into a wrap or support of some kind... :thankyou:
 
Happy Tuesday! :wave:
Thanks for the update.
I'm so sorry your recovery is moving slowly due to your knee.
Hopefully your OS recommends you have your knee replaced soon. While it doesn't sound appealing it will allow you to move forward without pain. 2019 could be your year! :fingersx:
Hugs and best wishes @Khaspi
 
Thanks Layla! I’m not feeling much pain so I’m so much better off than before surgery, in that way. Now to work on mobility! :happydance:
 
Week 9...
Looks like I might have a bit of “foot drop”. I don’t have any strength in my calf either. The Dr ordered a brace, MRI, and more individualized PT. :tiredwheel:
(I had been going to a group class for hips and knees.)
Waaa!:bawl: I didn’t want to be the small % that had issues! I’m still using the walker, and still on some pain meds. :sigh:
Praying for a full recovery even if it is slow!:angel:
 
Oh gracious... @Khaspi
regret that you are dealing with this but from what I've read early diagnosis of a foot drop problem is definitely key to resolving it!
The PT should help, I believe there is alot of stretching (calf muscles especially) and possible electrical stimulation therapy too for that nerve.
The brace and gait training also hopefully will get this resolved soon.
Sending good mojo your way!:console2:
 
Prayers you get good news and with minimal PT you're golden.
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving and I am wishing you a happy holiday season.
Please keep us posted as your OS formulates a plan for your issues.
We're here for you! :)
@Khaspi
 
Here is an update of my recovery at week 13. My hip seems to be doing well. But I’m still having other problems that resulted from the surgery. I continue to have some numbness from the knee down through the foot. I don’t have full range of motion in my ankle. I can’t move my calf forward from the knee. There is nerve damage somewhere, and my leg muscles are very weak. Some are not getting the message to work at all.
My surgeon referred me to a physical medicine doctor, who doesn’t see any answers from my spinal MRI. He checked for a blood clot (because I also have swelling in my calf) and that came out negative, then ordered an MRI of my abdomen. We are waiting for results on that. I’m seeing a PT about once a week, and I’m walking better, but still on the walker. I’m using a cane at home, but don’t feel enough confidence to use it out in public yet.
The good news is I don’t have the same pain I had before the surgery. Yay for that! But, being able to walk normally would be nice. Praying for that.
 
Hi @Khaspi
Thanks for updating, it's nice to hear from you.
I'm sorry you're struggling with unanswered questions. Hopefully the abdominal MRI results are in soon
and all is well.

Do you feel PT is helping you?

I'd try short outings with the cane to gain confidence as long as you're comfortable with it around your home.

Prayers for your comfort and healing.
I hope you have a lovely holiday and the New Year brings you comfort and healing.
:merry christmas:
 
Thank you @Layla,
I appreciate your encouragement so much.
I think PT is helpful at this point. The new hip is doing fine, so we aren’t focusing on that. My leg muscles were wasted before the surgery, so we are working on building them back up. At least the ones that I can move! I’m getting a MNES device that will work the muscles I can’t move because of nerve issues. I wouldn’t have known about it without PT. I do have to be careful and balance the exercises with rest.
I’m practicing with the cane at home. Wow! It’s a lot harder, and shows me I am so out of shape. Yikes!
So there’s another thing I’ll be building up again.
Have a wonderful holiday season!
Merry Christmas!
Robin
 
Man, I can’t imagine what it must be like to be dealing with a recovering hip AND an arthritic knee on the same leg!! No wonder you’re still suffering. Also, you had posterior surgery, which seems to be a bit slower recovery than anterior, so please don’t compare yourself to others in that boat. Glad to hear that your hip is at least improving.

Cheers to you!!
 
Hope all continues to improve.
Hope your holiday brings lots of comfort and joy!:santa sleigh:
 
Hi there :hi:
I hope you had a nice Christmas.
Wondering how you're doing over the past several weeks?
You'll soon be four months post op already.
Leave us an update next time you stop by. We love progress reports and they are inspirational to those following behind you.
I hope the New Year is one of your best!
@Khaspi
 
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope you're doing well.
Leave us an update next time you stop by. We'd love to read how you're doing.
Wishing you beautiful days ahead in sunny CA :SUNsmile:
@Khaspi
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom