TKR 5 months post op and recovering well from TRKR

I also had glue on my incision. I wasn't allowed to get mine wet until after my first follow up visit with him which was 4 weeks. My home health PT person gave me a couple of waterproof strips that completely covered a TKR incision which is used a couple times. I know I could take a shower with plastic wrap on the leg but I actually ordered a leg protector on Amazon (seal tight was the brand) because of a post on here. Loved it!! Now it's packed away to use during my next TKR. Hang in there. These days (what I felt were the dark, painful days) will be behind you soon.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for your advice and kind words, today is a good day for me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Bluebell53 im glad today has been a good day for you! As others have said this is a marathon at a turtles pace. I hope you are beginning to see the swelling and pain both reduce. Continue to be kind and gentle with your infant knee. When allowed enjoy that shower! Your going to be OK and soon you'll be enjoying a pain free knee...
 
I'm glad today was a better day. It is an up and down recovery. It just like being on a roller coaster. Expect the next turn and it won't get to you too much because the day after will be better.
 
This not showering thing must be tough, I was able to shower the day after surgery. My surgeon put me back together with internal stitches, a staircase of steristrips with this nifty waterproof, honeycomb shaped bandage over the top. Steristrips came off day 3/4, new honeycomb covering put on which I was instructed to remove about a week later.
 
I wasn't allowed to shower for a month after infection surgery, so a few weeks isn't bad at all. My hospital/rehab did a bath in a bag. They brought a bag of hot soapy water and another with warm water, both had wash cloths. I really missed those when I went home and had to wash out of the bathroom sink.
 
I was never directed when I could shower however common sense tells me not to get the incision wet. I simply covered my leg with a bag and was careful not to drench the area. Works well for me showered everyday since day 4.
 
Bluebell, how is your recovery coming along?
 
Hi @ LRKO.. I haven't been on in a while. My recovery hasn't been that great so far. Today is actually the first day that I felt alittle better. Certain smells really make me really sick to the stomach. The swelling is my worst culprit, as I ice and elevate my leg all the time. My whole body feels bruised. My pubic area is full of fluid and can't figure out why, my OS didn't work on that area. Sometimes I ask myself if I'm going to get back to my old self again. Question, I have a PT That comes three times a week. She usually stays about 10 minutes with only a few exercises. Is this the norm? Heck I can do the exercises without her here and safe my insurance company money. I'm hanging in there. Food is tasting better. I go to my post op appointment in 4 days. I hope I feel alittle better by then.
Bluebell53
 
Bluebell, if you feel you can manage without the PT coming, then ask for her to stop. You do have that option, because it's your knee and you are the one who says what happens to it.
Saying no to therapy - am I allowed to?

It's probably a good idea to save some of your PT sessions for later, when help with balance and gait could be useful.

The pubic area swelling is probably just fluid going downhill as you're elevating your leg.

If nausea continues to be a problem, ask your doctors for a prescription for an anti-emetic medication, such as Zofran. Narcotics do make some people feel sick/nauseated.
 
You'll get back to yourself, it will just take a while. Even a few weeks from now you'll feel different and better. This long recovery takes a great deal of patience. Once you get your staples removed you'll probably feel a bit better, I know I did.
 
I'll agree with Celle about asking PT to stop coming. There is nothing that they are doing for you right now. As your pain levels get more under control you can start to do a few more exercises. Keep that leg elevated 'toes above nose' and make sure you have a slight bend in your knee. That's the fastest way to bring down your swelling and pain and will give you an increased range of motion.
 
Hi to all my friends out there in new knee land. Just wanted to take a minute to give you all a quick update. Today I went to my post op appt with my OS. He said I am recovering remarkably. He had me sit on a chair and asked me slide my foot in, it measured in at a 100 which he said is excellent. I've had a good couple of days. I can tell when I'm on my feet too long my knee starts to ache. I still have the swelling but it's going down gradually. I'm currently on water pills to reduce the edema, It has really helped a lot. The swelling in my pubic area is almost gone, thank God because that was so painfull. I'll be starting out patient PT in a week so I'm gonna really work on getting this swelling down. So I'm feeling pretty good right now. I just wish the weather could stick to a plan and stay warm so I can sit outside on the patio. Sending get well wishes out there to all my bone smart friends who are recovering. Take care all.

Bluebell53
 
I'm glad you appointment with your surgeon went so well. That's very encouraging. :yay::happydance::spin:
 
Hi all.. It's been awhile since I posted so I wanted to share a little words of encouragement for those recovering from their knee replacements. I went through everything from depression to doubting my decision to have it done. The stiffness just didn't seem to get any better so I tried PT which just seemed to irritate it worse causing more swelling. Gave up PT after 3 weeks and just did a lot of walking and stretching. There's something about that 12 week mark, and for me this is when I started to feel better. I am currently 5 months post op and the only thing that I am working on now, is trying to get my knee completely straight so my doctor gave me a wedge to put in my left shoe. There's a reason he told me to prop my leg up on an ottoman for 10 mins a day for which I did not listen. So.. what I wanted to say is, hang in there because it does get better and soon you'll be glad you did it. Getting my last replacement on my right hip in October. Life is good and I'm happy again. God bless to all my bone smart friends who have encouraged and supported me throughout my hip and knee. I wish to you all a successful recovery so you can get back to enjoying life again.
Bluebell53
 
Hi @Bluebell53

I'm glad to read that you are doing well - it's encouraging for people struggling in early recovery.

Here's an article with some suggestoinabout how to help with extension:
Extension: how to estimate it and ways to improve it
One of the easiest ways is to lengthen your stride when you're walking.

You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Thank you so much for sharing the good news that you are doing well from a longer perspective. Recently I've been in the middle of doubting myself, having the blues, trying to please my doctors, etc., and people on this site have been so helpful! Hearing about you is like discovering a light at the end of the tunnel.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom