TKR 5 months out

So, I thought I would share some good news. I am almost 11 weeks out and I just finished my Physical Therapy . I was there for 8 weeks. My ROM is at 130 with full extension (finally) ! I am very pleased with my Physical Therapist, He never pushed me but always encouraged me to keep going, even if I had some discomfort and a little pain. He gave me some more balancing and strengthen exercises to do on my own, I can ride my Recumbent bike for 30 minutes a day, walk a couple of miles at a time , and I am back in the pool swimming a couple of laps (still need a lot of work there). I may never be able to run or hop but that’s okay. I am grateful for whatever comes my way. I know my recovery isn’t over , yet. I know I will still have some discomfort and pain , as I try new things or over do it but that is where rest, ice and elevation comes in. So, for those who think you won’t get there, trust me, You Will! I will check back at my 6th month mark.

I’m glad you’re doing great!

By the way, I merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread, as we prefer that members in recovery have only one thread.

This benefits you because all your information is in one place, easy to find, and maintains a nice journal for you.

This also benefits our staff, as your information is all in one place, and we often go back through your thread for previous details, so we know what you‘ve been through which helps us advise you better.

So, please keep all your posts in this thread. If you’d like a new title, let us know what you want, and we’ll change it for you. You can always bookmark this thread so you can find it easily.

Best wishes on your continuing recovery! :flwrysmile:

Good morning,
It’s been awhile since I have posted, I am almost 5 months post surgery and I still wake up with a stiff and somewhat painful knee. It does get better during the day with walking, biking and daily living, but I wonder is this normal at this stage of my recovery? Should I be concerned?

@smokey1

You will notice that I merged your newest post with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
Please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we will get it changed for you.

If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.

You are 5 months into what can be a year long process. Stiffness and discomfort are normal. Ice and elevate and take pain medication if you need it. This will ease with time.

Thanks for the advice, Jacey .
I messaged my PA and her reply was similar to yours, except she said , I should have less pain each month from here on out and if I don’t, maybe I should be checked. That’s concerning to me but I guess I will see how the next month goes. I ride a recumbent bike for 40 min.( with moderate resistance) 5 times a week, walk up and down stairs normally , but it is painful going down. I walk a couple of miles. 3-4 times a week and just normal activity , after that.

You may have less pain each month but you also may still need to pace your activities a bit. You might try walking a bit less or reducing slightly the amount of activity each day and see how you do. It doesn't mean laying around doing nothing, but it may just take a little longer.

I ride a recumbent bike for 40 min.( with moderate resistance) 5 times a week
You might try doing this every other day. Sounds like you need to give that knee a rest day. This plus all that walking is pretty aggressive for 5 months out.

I’m further out than you and still have morning stiffness. I think it just takes time. Hang in there.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
dxross
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom