TKR 5 months out

I agree that Ice and Elevation doesn't necessarily enhance recovery but by no means does it hurt your recovery either. What those two things do in combination is restrict blood flow (ice) while elevation enhances circulation. So they are kind of fighting each other - sort of.

What they do is help you recover with less pain and swelling. You will never ice your knee to the point it will restrict blood flow to the areas that are healing except maybe the incision. It hardly penetrates past the dermis layer. And what they mean by "rest" is taking it easy - not being a couch potato. Some people sit down after this surgery and if not for the bathroom or meals, they never move. That will definitely push out one's recovery. We have to "move" to recover in a healthy manner. Good sleep is key to recovery as well and that is something I found very hard to get until week 5-6.

I am a big believer in compression socks. The ones I wear increase circulation in your calves and knees while helping your ankles not swell. Good circulation is key to a faster recovery. The jury is still out on the compression sleeves for my knees. I think they work well but PT said they have seen mixed reviews.

I think some of that has to do with your body and what your health is like. Some people have great circulation and others not so much.

My knees can get warm, specifically if I am pushing things here in week 17/18. But the normal at rest heat dissipates as I rest which is a lot different than the first 15 weeks. I have heard for some people it can last a year or more. I think it has a lot to do with getting your muscles, etc. remodeled and back in working order. It takes time.
 
I keep thinking I am posting in the recovery thread.
You can tell if it's your recovery thread because the background colour to your posts will be light blue, while the background to other people's posts is white.

Also, the picture above your name will have an orange stripe on it that says "OP" - that means Original Poster.
 
Thanks! I think I finally got it! Lol!
 
@smokey1 hi! To answer your questions, I would say that my pain level is most often just the tight feeling which is in the back of my knee. Sometimes I have a little surprise pain on the outer part of my knee. But it seems to just be level 2 soreness most days.

I had 8 sessions of in-home PT this time. She prepared me to work on my own if I chose to. I had a bad experience with PT in the past that caused tissue damage and set me back.

My ROM was around 125 at 4 weeks (OS eyeballing) and extension is 0. I am happy with that. I have a home gym with an adjustable dumbbell set, a recumbent bike and a treadmill so I am strengthening and stretching on my own but cautiously with not much weight on my knees yet. My philosophy is that if I move for 20 minutes, then I get off my feet for 40. Silly, but seems to work for me.
My partial is on the other knee from 5 years ago.
I can’t wait to get back to the pool, but I have one teeny tiny scab so ai think I will wait one more week. Keep us posted on your progress!
 
Sounds like you are doing great! You seem to know what your knee needs - a nice balance of rest and activity. How much time do you spend on the recumbent bike each day? Do you alternate between bike and treadmill? My ROM at its highest has been 125, but it seems when I over do it, I always measure between 110 - 115. But by the end of my PT session of massage and exercises, I am usually back to 120, I elevate most days - about 2-3 times for an hour, but my swelling never seems to go down much. I am suppose to go my exercises 3 times a day, but J can’t always get 3 in. At least , I can start using ice starting Monday at 6weeks out! I just get seem to get rid of the pain.
 
Both my knees/legs are hurting today and I am far ahead of you in recovery, Smokey. No one wants to hear it, but it all just takes TIME :beg:
Frustrating? You bet! But it WILL pass!
 
Smokey, your ROM is very good for 6 weeks. Don’t worry that the number changes, that is only a reflection of your swelling, which can vary day by day and hour by hour! Your ROM is capable of improving for well after a year, and even 2 years, mine did!
 
@smokey1 .... I just sent you a Personal Message (PM) about your participation in the OneStep therapy program. If you could read and respond to it, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
 
@smokey1
Now that you are past the 6 week mark, that your surgeon told you not to ice before that, maybe you should reread this article about icing, that is in our recovery guidelines:
 
Thanks, for the information , Jockette
I have started using an ice pack on my knee. It hasn’t helped much with the swelling, but it sure does feel good.
 
It’s going to take a while for the swelling to go down.

Are you elevating much? I elevated all night, every night, and during the day I just had my leg up on an ottoman. But it was almost always up at some height. Having both feet on the floor was very uncomfortable for quite a while for me.

 
Jockette,
Honestly, I don’t elevate a lot. I live im Maine by the beach in the summer and I seem to have company quite a bit. I am on my feet a lot some days . I try to do my exercises 3 times a day, but I am not always successful. It’s my on fault. Maybe I will try elevating and icing all night and see how that works. Thanks.
 
@smokey1 At less than 2 months post op your knee really needs a lot of rest. You can just as easily visit with company while you sit with your legs up on an ottoman. Being up on your feet too much will create and maintain your swelling and pain.

As hard as it might be, stop being such a good hostess this summer, you are recovering from a very major surgery. Let your guests help themselves and let them cater to you. If the roles were reversed, you’d be happy to help your friend out, wouldn’t you?

It‘s not necessary to do exercises 3 times a day, you sound like you are up and about more than enough without them, and all your knee really needs is periods of rest and periods of mobility.

Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
I live in Maine by the beach in the summer
I bet it’s beautiful there! What a great place to recover! We’d love to see some pictures if you can post them. I’ve never been that far northeast.
 
Flutter1
Nice to hear from you. I have been reading your threads and it sounds like you are doing great. I do doing okay, but I still have quite a bit of swelling. I go to PT 2 times a week . He’s very good but the pressure for better flexion is always there. Currently, I am at 1/120. He did get me to measure at 130,but he did a little pushing and I wasn’t happy . I have a virtual visit with my surgeon this Wed. It’s been 8 weeks since I have talked to him. I know he will get a report from my PT. So we will see how that goes. I really wish I could have a lymphatic massage 3 times a week plus PT. I think it would finally get my swelling down for good, but I don’t think insurance would pay for it. I don’t have access to a recumbent bike , I have been a lap swimmer for years. but don’t have the strength yet, for that. So, I just walk and do PT and elevate once in awhile.
 
but I still have quite a bit of swelling.
and elevate once in awhile.


If you have a lot of swelling you need to elevate more than once in a while.

 
Jockette,
I knew I would get kick back from that remarkbut honestly, when I have elevated more (3- 4 times a day for 45-60 min. ) it hasn’t made the much of a difference . I still wake up with my knee and surrounding area looking the same. I am looking into getting lymphatic massages a couple of times a week to add on to the massages my PT gives me to see if that will help.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom