TKR 5 months out

Call your dentist and make an appointment. You need to know what's causing the dental pain before you can make any decision about what to do next. Obviously discuss it when you see your surgeon on Wednesday. If you need antibiotics, either your surgeon or your dentist will take care of the prescription. Please don't panic. There is a risk of problems with dental infections. But it's just that....a possibility and not a certainty. You're doing the right thing by taking action immediately.

Please let us know how things go.
 
First of all, try to relax. I’m sorry you have this new issue. :console2:I do think we’ve had other members with a problem like this, and things turned out fine for them.
 
Smokey1,
Call your dentist in the morning about your toothache to find out what is going on with your tooth.
Make any appointment after your virtual visit with your surgeon if possible.
Once you know, you can receive appropriate care for your tooth ache.
Emergency dental work is allowed, your risk of infection is low.

Have your dentist communicate with your surgeon, either with a phone call or a visit note so your surgeon knows the status of your tooth.
Let your surgeon know about your tooth ache during your virtual visit tomorrow.

I am hoping that it is just grinding your teeth due to the stress of recovery.
 
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.

Many members bookmark their thread in their computer browser, so they can find it when they log on.
How can I find my threads and posts?
 
I would definitely make sure your surgeon and dentist are in communication with each other. Hope it all works out.
 
Sorry to know about your difficult times. Hopefully your issues will resolve soon and you feel better.
 
Well, I got though the night and the tooth pain wasn’t as bad in the morning. Called my dentist and he won’t see me until I have written permission from my surgeon and then not until after the long Memorial Day Weekend. Met virtually with my surgeon, today and he already ordered antibiotics for me and has agreed for me to be evaluated next week. Hopefully, the tooth will behave, if not I will be hitting the pain medication all weekend. On a happier note, he was really pleased with my wound. Thought it looked very clean with no redness and minimal swelling. Also , my ROM was at 120. Pain level was at about a 3,today. Not bad for only being on Day 9 of Post Op. Thanks again for all your support
 
Wow, 120 on day 9! That’s awesome!

This early in recovery that number will fluctuate, depending on your activity and swelling, so don’t worry if it does. You now know your knee has that potential, so take things slow and easy, so it can heal.
 
Wonderful news on both fronts!
 
The irony, my knee feels a lot worse now than it did before surgery.
Yes, right now your knee is worse than before the surgery, it has been cut and it’s insides shifted around and traumatized. It needs to recover from all that disturbance.

Why does your surgeon not want you to ice? We find it is a very helpful pain reliever.

You should be elevating as much as possible, to help that swelling go down, are you doing that?
 
Hi, Pumpkin,
My knee was feeling pretty good today, until I squatted on both knees to arrange something in a lower cabinet! Ugh! I forgot for a minute about my new knee. Is been pretty painful ever since . I took a Tramadol and some Tylenol shortly after. It felt a little better , but now its night time and it’s still hurting. Could I have caused some damage to my new knee? Or is it just swelling more because of the pressure I put on it? I am 3 1/2 weeks out of surgery.


Most likely you irritated the soft tissue causing swelling and pain, it will probably be unhappy for a few days+, take it easy, ice and elevation.
The implant can take a lot, and should not be bothered by squatting.
 
Thanks,I hope you are right.One more question, I seem to be feeling a sensation in my knee like when I was bone on bone like a poping or a small movement. Not sure what I am feeling. Not really a clicking (I don’t hear anything) but something strange but not painful in itself. Not sure this is making any sense.
 
Could be from the swelling, give it time, it should clear up with time.
 
I agree, the soft tissue around our new knee gets upset very easily when we do something it doesn’t like. The implant is quite hardy!
 
Make certain to ice and elevate. You might also try icing the back of the knee - making certain you skin is covered though. Switch from the front to the back of the knee for 'total' coverage.
 
Thanks for the advice, eagle mom. Unfortunately, my surgeon does not believe in using ice until 6 weeks after surgery.
 
Is foot pain at night a typical side effect of TKR? I seem to have it most nights , hence the 3:00 AM post.,
 
My feet bothered me as much if not more at night than my tkr. I slept with ice on my feet for weeks. As my swelling went down so did the discomfort.
 
Last edited:
Hi, Goma
Thanks for letting me know about your experiences with your feet. I am glad to hear your swelling has gone down and has your pain. May I ask how far out you were from surgery when your swelling went down and your feet felt better?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom