5 month birthday of my new right knee!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it hurt to get the staples out? Anything I can do ahead of time to make it more tolerable?
 
I'm wondering if it is from the squats she had me do
Sounds like you are overdoing this early in recovery, your efforts should be on getting the swelling down and gentle exercises, as your knee heals your strength will come back.
Doing too much too soon can set back your recovery, slow down.

No wonder you are having so much night pain, you are doing way too much too early and your knee is protesting.
Let me tag @Josephine so she can see your answers to her questions in post #23.

Getting the staples out can be uncomfortable, it is quickly over, and you will be happy to have them out. Only one or two of my were uncomfortable, the rest came out easily.

You have the weekend off, Rest, Ice, Elevate, and take your Medications as prescribed.
 
@MathSci4me i too have a hard time at night can go all day with Tylenol and Celebrex and as soon I lay down I toss and turn for hours before I fall asleep hopefully with time we can both find some great sleep relief


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
We did some new exercises. However, I noticed later that night that my left knee (the one that didn't have surgery) was sore and I'm wondering if it is from the squats she had me do
I'd say so. But do remember that you are not yet two weeks out so don't let her push you too hard in those exercises. And squats are a definite no-no until about 6 weeks out.
so I iced my left knee some today.
"some"? Define some!
For some reason, even if I haven't been in pain throughout the day, the pain starts at night.
Of course it does! Nobody really knows why but pain always spikes at night. Therefore, you should plan a larger dose of pain meds just before you retire and a smaller dose to take halfway through the night.

As a matter of interest, what pain meds are you taking and how much/often are you prescribed them? And how much/often are you taking them!
Does it hurt to get the staples out? Anything I can do ahead of time to make it more tolerable?
Well if the nurse/PA knows what she's doing, it shouldn't hurt at all. And there's nothing you can do to ease things, I'm afraid! Nice thought though!
 
@MathSci4me
Hello! Welcome to this awesome site. I am 6 and a half weeks post op, and the only nights that I get more than 3-4hrs of sleep is when I put in a full day of work, which i started last week. This operation is brutal and there are so many things you will be learning in the next several weeks, if I recall, your medication you are taking is oxycodone, 1-2 tabs every 4 hours. You stated earlier that you are now extending that throughout the day!
Okay. Here goes, I did the exact same thing, and it is a definite no no. Whether you think you need it it or not (and you do) your doctor put those directions down for a reason, and that is to stay ahead of the pain, what is happening is that by decreasing your meds, your pain is not controlled so when up you go to bed, the medicine not able to do its job because it is catching up on all that pain!

Go back and read the article about pain control and you will Understand why it is important to take your pain meds on time!

As far as sleep goes, there are a lot of people on this sight that even when taken meds properly have problems with sleep. I did again last night , (as I had the day off yesterday) and feel asleep around 5:am this morning!
After 6 weeks you would think that I'd be sleeping the whole night away, well I can not get comfortable, my knee hurts and I am so fatiqued (Another side affect from this journey that May last quite a while).

So fret not! This is all normal! Ug!

But please reconsider taking your pain meds on schedule. I am 6 weeks out, and my PT said it is normal to be on pain meds (as my OS also said) for about 2 to 3 months. It all depends on the knee!

Rest while you can, even if it is at 5pm! Just take what sleep you can get. Find some good DVD 's to watch and you'll keep your mind off the pain.

I am praying that you have a better night tonight!

I'll be back to see how you are doing!

Oh, by the way, squats???? I think I'd find another PT! Or just say no!
Each day is a journey!:banghead:

Jo Anne
 
When I got my pain meds refilled earlier this week, the doctor changed it to 10 mg of oxycodone every 6 hours. Before it was 5-10 mg of oxycodone every 4 hours as needed. I'm still taking Tylenol, too.

I took it easy yesterday. While everyone was out for the 4th, I had my knee elevated and iced most all of the day. Today I iced and elevated a lot of the day and now (it's 7 PM) I'm trying to get some stretches in. I'll ice and elevate afterwards. That's all I'm doing today!

And I do get another PT on Monday so it will be interesting to see what changes and what stays the same. The PT that was coming has been having to do double-duty because the PT she shares the area with has been out sick. There is another PT in the practice that has a different coverage area, but he lives right down the street from me so he's going to start seeing me.

I got a letter from my insurance coverage that 10 at-home PT sessions are covered which means I have 5 more to go. What happens after that? If I can't bend my leg any more than I can now, it's going to make it very difficult to get in and out of a car to go somewhere for PT.
 
Just go onto the library on this web site, there are a lot of exercises you can do at home by yourself! Plenty to get you through until you go back to see your OS. Also, your home health PT should be able to leave you sheets with pictures on how to do exercises at homes,

Don't worry, we are all here for you!

Praying for a restful sleep and no worries for you tonight:chillpill:!
 
PT is so depressing. The physical therapist said today if I don't make a lot more progress within the next week, I'm going to have to go have to be put under and have my knee manipulated by the doctor so that it will have more range of motion. She said that I need to just work through the pain. I'm trying to do that (and it should help now that I have my pain meds refilled and don't have to worry about running out of them the next few days), but now I'm really concerned that I may already have so much scar tissue or whatever built up already that it is going to be impossible to get enough range of motion to prevent having that procedure.


too soon to even think of that! Just say no.....you need healing time....I have never heard of such that early!
Maybe they are practicing scare tactics to get more exercises but talk it over with your Dr. Maybe you need a more understanding P.T.?


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
And don't worry, you are in great company on here....great people who will give good solutions. Nothing like people who have been where you are.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
The new PT came today and I really like him! He was so much more encouraging and just said it would take time. We talked at where I was before surgery as far as ROM and extension. He said that since I was limited before it is going to just take longer to improve my ROM. He said to just keep moving that knee and the ROM would improve.

Two weeks since my surgery and staples out tomorrow!
 
The nurse came this afternoon and took out the staples. There was an area (about an inch long) in the middle part where it bends the most that had not closed up. She put 2 steristrips over that area. The doctor's discharge instructions were to not put steristrips on, but I'm glad she put those 2 on so it can hold that area together. There is also a smaller area above the knee that is not quite closed. So now I'm walking around with this fear that bending my knee is going to pop open my incision! I know that is stupid but I can't help it! I'm going to put a bandage over it tonight while I sleep so it doesn't get messed up by the bed covers, etc. PT is tomorrow so I'm sure he'll get me over my fear of popping open the incision if I bend the knee!

I have such dry skin and the incision area is especially dry. Can't wait until I can put something on it to provide some moisture!
 
  • be calm, I had only steri strips and after 2 wks Doc ripped them off and it looked and felt as if they were not ready.......Also showering so don't worry and i was told ok to put lotion around but keep an inch or so from scar , BUT YOU ASK YOUR TEAM ON THAT OK. :)?
 
Thanks! My 2 steristrips are still on. The nurse said they'd probably stay on for about a week. Still trying to get my knee to bend, but I don't see any progress. I did walk to the mailbox this morning to get the morning paper. I have kind of a long drive way so I felt like I had accomplished something! I tried to really concentrate on using my foot normally to get that knee to bend while walking.

I got a little more sleep last night! I dug out my old iPod and listened to some music and that really helped to get me to sleep. I did wake up after a couple hours and would have to start the process all over again with the music, but at least it was more sleep total. Even with getting more sleep last night, I had to take several naps today because I couldn't keep my eyes open! I'm guessing it is the effect of the pain killers. Thankfully, I'm comfortable sleeping on my back because no matter what I do with the pillows and my legs, I cannot get comfortable on my side. I used to always sleep on my side, but I just can't manage it with the knee now. I've tried all sorts of pillow configurations!

So my PT said last time that I don't need to be icing my knee so much because the swelling left is deep tissue swelling and the ice will have no affect on it. Does that sound right? I iced after exercising, but have only done it for about 30 minutes each time. The left side of my right foot is still numb. Can't really feel any improvement there. However, the numb area on my right leg seems to have decreased in size.

Hope everyone is doing well!
 
Thanks! My 2 steristrips are still on. The nurse said they'd probably stay on for about a week. Still trying to get my knee to bend, but I don't see any progress. I did walk to the mailbox this morning to get the morning paper. I have kind of a long drive way so I felt like I had accomplished something! I tried to really concentrate on using my foot normally to get that knee to bend while walking.

I got a little more sleep last night! I dug out my old iPod and listened to some music and that really helped to get me to sleep. I did wake up after a couple hours and would have to start the process all over again with the music, but at least it was more sleep total. Even with getting more sleep last night, I had to take several naps today because I couldn't keep my eyes open! I'm guessing it is the effect of the pain killers. Thankfully, I'm comfortable sleeping on my back because no matter what I do with the pillows and my legs, I cannot get comfortable on my side. I used to always sleep on my side, but I just can't manage it with the knee now. I've tried all sorts of pillow configurations!

So my PT said last time that I don't need to be icing my knee so much because the swelling left is deep tissue swelling and the ice will have no affect on it. Does that sound right? I iced after exercising, but have only done it for about 30 minutes each time. The left side of my right foot is still numb. Can't really feel any improvement there. However, the numb area on my right leg seems to have decreased in size.

Hope everyone is doing well!


Hey ask your P.T. if over 20 min of ice is wise. I have been told from everyone for yrs that it is 10-20 on nd 1-2 hrs in between. It still holds true according to many P.T?'s and my OS
 
The naps are likely the pain killer but also the post op *energy drain" everyone gets after surgery. Sounds like you're getting sleep at night even if it is interrupted--it should be getting better slowly but surely.
 
The post-op blues hit me big time today. A friend called and I just broke down telling her about how I was doing and how frustrated I am with my inability to bend my knee very much. Still crying about it. I'm definitely questioning whether all this is going to be worth it. In my head, I know it is but right now it is so hard to see that.
 
Icing--I just know that the longer I elevated and iced, the better I felt. Just make sure that your skin is protected. Also, don't let those areas along the incision line go...you might want to email pics to your doc. I ignored mine and just assumed they would heal on up, and ended up with major complications. Sleep will come when it feels like it. I hope you have a successful recovery. :-)
 
Thanks! I'm still icing because it helps with the pain. I know the PT felt that it wouldn't help swelling any more, but it does help with the aching. The nurse comes back on Tuesday for her last home visit and the 2 steristrips she put on last Tuesday are still on my knee. I really hope the incision has closed by the time she comes on Tuesday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom