Guest viewing is limited

THR 5 days after second hip.

@Tra2419 What helped me after each of my joint replacement surgeries vis a vis the constipation issue .... onion soup. I love the stuff!! But for me it also acts like almost instant laxative. Cleans the system right out. So if there is anything that acts that way for you that you eat rarely just because of that effect ... now's the time to enjoy it.
 
My surgical side hand is not as strong and pinky feels numb still. I thought it was due to pulling and pushing getting into and out of the bed, etc.
@Hippie Chick how is your hand and have you recovered any strength to it.
My right hand is the ring finger and pinky finger with the tingling and lacking strength.
Also on my left hand my thumb, and pinky finger no strength.
Just wanted to check in.
 
@Tra2419 - I feel so bad for you, and for me, I’m a couple days ahead of you and struggling with this recovery. I get anxious and fret over every small twinge and ache, sure I’m moving the implant too much for bone to adhere and grow into it, certain that the next thing I drop will be the cause of me just bending down to reach whatever it is and dislocate the new hip. Any crazy thing is a new reason to figure out several worst case scenarios and increase my anxiety. Have to sleep on my back and I hate that, plus it feels like someone is pulling on my leg (literally) and causing it to ache in the groin area. Then as I lie awake I can figure out all other kinds of troubles. So, yes, I can strongly empathize with you. I’m finding this recovery much more difficult emotionally than the two knee recoveries I just survived. It sounds to me like you, also, are struggling emotionally which I find makes everything else worse. I think coming here to ask what is somewhat normal and how to deal with it, and what is cause for concern is a positive way to cope. No where else can you find a group who has been where we are, empathizes and gives rational advice and suggestions to resolve our symptoms and worries.

The arm and hand symptoms (as long as your arms and hands are warm and pink) likely are from some swelling along the nerves from positioning during surgery or from the IVs. Try ice on your arms if you have an extra pack or ziplock bag. Also if the arms of your chair where you sit to elevate your legs are hard, that can cause and/or add to the tingling and weakness, try padding the arms.

Continue plenty of water and fiber, but with the pain meds you also need the senna to stimulate the bowel. You can also add the “smooth move” tea or primrose oil. This, too, shall pass (pun intended).

The discomfort from the surgery will just take time.

When we’ve done all we can for the moment to increase our comfort and decrease our anxiety, I guess we just need to “suck it up and get on with it”. I’m definitely thinking of you, I think @maturemama and @dnordo220 are at the same post op time as we are, maybe we can send prayers their way, too and get feeling better. We can’t go back (and wouldn’t if we really thought about it) so we may as well go forward.

Sorry for the long post, but as I read yours it all just came down again, I feel better for venting as well as attempting to support and encourage you. Thanks, and Blessings

One more thought, the Benadryl that will help ease itching may also help you sleep, just saying…..
 
@Tra2419 I think it is some better- I still have numbness and strength loss. I mentioned it at doctor’s appointment and it should get better over time. Hopefully it will get better for us both. Checking in helps!
 
@Tra2419 youre past the 1 week mark woo hooooo. It’s only going to get better from here.

I’m pretty sure my 2022 thread was called feeling weird sensations, you will continue to 2nd guess yourself as you heal. Even with this 2nd hip things are different. And everyone’s healing process is different.

Please feel free to lean on me, I don’t mind. At all!
 
@Finallydone Thank you for such kind and thoughtful words. You made me cry and it was
an emotional acknowledgment for all I am going through along with you and @dnordo220 and @mature mama plus others who are going through this.
Thank you also @dnordo220 and @Hippie Chick for your kind words.
I also am weaning myself off the Percocet. I really feel that Doctors should make you and your caregivers aware of the opioid medicines and their side effects and a better system to wean you off of them.
I have noticed psychological side effects this time around and am weaning myself of of the Percocet.
The wean off process is a weird one for me. It is the sweating when I sleep, and just not feeling myself and feeling off.
Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to respond and your words of kindness and comfort.
I will check in again soon
@Tra2419
 
Sending a hug :console2:
Just catching up on your thread and you received some great advice and tips from this current group recovering together. Lots of care, concern and comforting words. Just know it will all get better. It is very early days and there is a lot of healing happening. I hope you have a very peaceful weekend. Take care!
@Tra2419
 
Some people find using magnesium helps with the leg cramps/restless legs. It sure helped me. It also can help with relaxation and sleep. Check with your doctor to see if you could add that in to perhaps help with the leg cramps. It's so hard when you are trying to reduce pain meds, increase activity, and your body is trying to recover from surgery and adapt to the new hip. I think it's wise that you are trying to be proactive with the pain meds, and think several people have shared some medication schedules that seem to work for them. Hopefully you can find a routine that helps with the pain and enables you to back off the more heavy duty meds.
 
Magnesium also helps the body absorb calcium and most people are a bit low. It’s a prettier safe mineral. Usually a sign to back off and take less is developing diarrhea, softer stools are good with pain meds!
 
I am staying well hydrated. Water, tea and limiting coffee for now. I love my coffee but strangely not missing it at the moment.

Hydration helps with removing any toxins from surgery or medication through the healing process.

For any anxiety I take deep breaths. In through the nose,expand your lungs as much as you can and blow out through the mouth. Do this a few times. Increases oxygen flow around your body.

Hope you're feeling well.
 
@Hippie Chick mine is still the same. It is very frustrating. I am going to see a hand specialist however, the soonest I could get in is in 6 weeks.
 
I had blood taken a few years ago and during that procedure the person hit a nerve in my arm. They missed the vein.

This caused tingles and numbness in my arm for months. It resolved but took a long time. I'm scared of having blood taken now.

If the numbness is in the arm where any needles were used perhaps that may be a reason.

Just my experience.
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
How have you been over the past couple weeks? I hope recovery is going well for you.
Let us know when you have time. Have a good week and a happy Thanksgiving!
@Tra2419
 
Hi Layla,
Thank you for the celebration of my one month anniversary.

I am being sent to a neurologist about the nerves in my hand, but I have to wait 6 weeks. My hand doctor said it is more than likely my ulnar nerve. I will get tested and then we will go from there.

Fatigue is real for me. I get tired very quickly. I started driving again yesterday for the first time since the operation. Slow and steady.

Thanks again,
Tracey
 
I am sorry your hand continues to bother you. I wish you didn't have to wait so long to see the neurologist. I hope you're able to find many moments of relief as you wait. Lots of comfort to you!

You're certainly not alone in experiencing the fatigue.
Our body's energy supply isn't limitless, so when we're in healing mode after major surgery
our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. Sleep when you're able until it regulates. Our body does it's best healing while we're sleeping.

Stay in touch, it was nice to hear from you! :)
@Tra2419
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a wonderful holiday season. :)
@Tra2419
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom