Guest viewing is limited

THR 43, and post op blues

Status
Not open for further replies.
susie1411 - I hope you have had a chance to slow down a bit and let this recovery catch up. At only 6 weeks your activity level is what is holding you back. Slow and steady - let the chores go for a bit until that leg cooperates. Lots of icing and elevating. If you haven't been to our Library yet - here's some links to get you started:
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Reread the thread about post-op blues. It's something that happens to some degree during every recovery. Just go with the flow - this too shall pass!
 
Please be nice to yourself and not try to do too much. I was told I couldn't vacuum (hoover) for at least 6 weeks after my surgery. I was delighted. Hubby is a very good vacuumer when he remembers--and I made sure he did. It really does get better. There's no scheduled time, each of us has a different timetable. I'm 7 months on and still not completely ok--my balance is shot and I suspect the neighbors think I have a drinking problem. But it is sooo much better than before!:happydance:
 
Susie..... I'm near Glasgow and I love that you have words that even I don't know. Lol
 
special lady[/USER] please note: the plural of osteotomy is not osteotomy's but osteotomies! :wink:
 
susie1411, zauberflöte and anyone I have forgotten who may be coming up to your six week post op check...

Here is a fantastic list that Sharon developed, based on a post from one of our Aussie members.. I thought it was in the library, but couldn't find it, may have missed it... But here it is anyway.. I know it is too late for you Susan.. Sorry honey :(

QUESTIONS FOR YOUR POST-OP VISIT

Many of our members have questions after they get home from the hospital about what they can do and when they can do it. The answers may be different from one surgeon to another, but here is a list of questions to get you started on what needs clarification when you have your first post-op visit with your surgeon.

Every surgeon has his own protocols for his own reasons. These are questions that people often bring up on the forum, and we typically respond with whatever our own surgeon told us. That answer may or may not be right for everyone; always get your own surgeon's point-of-view first. Even if your surgeon is just being super-cautious and covering his tracks in case of problems down the road, you should know what your surgeon thinks and why he thinks it before you decide whether it is the best answer for you.

We've also noticed that protocols can be very different based on the country where surgery takes place. Whenever in doubt, follow YOUR surgeon's advice in combination with your own common sense. As an example, physical therapy is widely recommended after a THR by surgeons in the US, and is infrequently recommended in the UK. The truth is: there are times when PT is very useful and necessary, and there are times when it is useful but unnecessary, and there are times when it can cause more harm than good. The decision to pursue PT usually starts with your surgeon, but if you have concerns either way, be sure to bring them up.

This list is a starting place. It was developed primarily for hip replacement patients, but many of the questions would be similar for knee replacements as well. Tailor the list to address your specific concerns.

RESTRICTIONS
Do I have to follow the 90 degree rule any longer?
Do I have to wear TED socks any longer?
Should I continue icing?
Can I bend over to tie my shoes?
Can I cross my legs?
Can I sit on the floor cross-legged if it doesn't hurt?
Can I take a bath?
Do I have any restrictions about lifting objects? Can I pick up my baby...toddler?
Are there any restrictions that are permanent, and if so....why?

PAIN MEDICATION
What pain medication should I use from this point onwards?
When should I cease taking medication altogether?
Are there any special precautions in weaning off the particular pain medications I am on?

EXERCISE AND SPORT
Am I allowed to ___ now if it is pain free? (jog, run, dance, ski, etc.)
When can I return to the gym?
What exercises or equipment should I avoid at the gym?
When can I play ____ again? (golf, tennis, football, soccer, etc.)
Am I allowed to do squatting exercises?

Do you think I would benefit from further PT?
Is there anything I should add to my daily or weekly routine that would benefit?
When can I start hydrotherapy?

LIFESTYLE
Given my pain medication when can I drink alcohol again?
Do you have any recommendations on air travel?
Can I return to part-time or full-time work? If so, when?
Am I now allowed to drive a motor vehicle?
Am I free to engage in sexual activity?
When can I resume taking vitamins and/or supplements?

MEDICAL FOLLOW-UP
Are my stitches completely gone? Healed?
Do I have to take antibiotics before any procedures like dental work? For how long? (Answers will likely vary from two years to forever. This is another subject with wide variance. See the article in the library about this, and use your own judgment.)
What signs or symptoms should worry me if they occur?
Do I have any reason to be concerned about my other hip?
I still have swelling? Is that a concern? What should I do about it?
There are big indentations around my incision. Is this normal? What does it mean?
I still have pain in/around/by ________(fill in the blank). Is this normal? What should I do about it?
When should I return for my next follow-up?

Many thanks to our member, AussieMike, for getting us started with this list.
 
Josephine, Jaycey, Audball, Poppet, beckylou, special lady, Giraffe44, zauberflöte, jellybean post op appointment went well. Had an xray of hips - all well. OS happy with hip movement etc. He has suggested I get compression stockings for swollen leg - got prescription from doc today for them. I was a little concerned re leg length discrepency but it seems for the last 40 years I have been walking with a tilted pelvis to compensate for the bad hip. The 'righting' of the pelvis will just take time!! He has said 'cautiously' that I can drive when I am ready - might try driving round a car park at the weekend, but will see. I have to admit at the appoinment I had the best laugh I had in ages. I am a teacher and it will soon be the school holidays in Scotland so was discussing the options for returning to work in August after the holidays (he has suggested that when I am able to return I should do a phased return), but what made me laugh (out loud and for a long time), was that he said I would need more than 1 classroom assistant when in the class. Crikey lucky if I get any time at all at the mo!! Got to go back and see him in October, so things looking good for now anyway. Anyhow you will be delighted to hear that I am beginning to 'chill' with regard to my recovery and not trying to rush things and I must admit I feel a lot better for it, thank you all for your advice it has certainly helped me lots.
 
susie1411 what a great update! Too bad your laughs were at, sort of, your own expense. I hope the OS goes home and writes a letter to the school board about classroom aides!! So, you will be self-adjusting your pelvic tilt till you're 83, you say?:heehee:
I'm trying to "chill" too, it's just consuming more ice cream to keep chilled than I had anticipated...:rotfl:
Poppet thank you for posting that list-- i know I've seen it someplace too, but neglected to bookmark it. So I did this time :)
 
susie1411. Hi there fellow scot just read your post. Seems you are doing really well for your stage of recovery . I can really relate to everything you have been concerned about as I think you will find most people on here can...you think you are on your own until you come to bonesmart. I dont know where I would have been without the support of everyone . You are lucky you have had your checkup so soon... I had my op 13th march and not due for mine til this tuesday...long time....just as well I have been coming on here for advice on things...think checkup times are different all over......even up in sunny aberdeen.... love it ....my sister and her family have lived there for years so its a holiday destination for me...usually in the winter when the har (that thick foggy pea soup stuff)appears and its freezin lol.
 
Everybody, I am more than pleased to be tagged when somebody really needs me for something. But please, please, PLEASE don't make my name a tag just because you're mentioning my name in the course of conversation! I have something like 20 tags every single day which takes me a considerable amount of time to look at and reply to (when the need arises). It's very frustrating when I get to the post only to find I've just been mentioned in passing! Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom