THR 40 years old recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I relate to your story so much. I was doped up on high morphine levels my first week. When I was awake, I was a sloppy mess of emotional frustration, much to my dismay.

I too have teenagers awaiting my arrival... Boys.... Slightly less drama than girls, but with one just having graduated high school, and thinking he can do whatever he wants now, being home to keep an eye on things has been a bit of a blessing in disguise. Word to the wise, hide the assortment of pain pills from day 1, even if you don't think your own would take them. We learned the hard way after a previous surgery, when we suspected our boys for the disappearing meds despite attempts to hide the drugs. We finally caught one of the 'friends' digging through drawers and stealing a handful while all he other joys were playing video games in the living room. If the kids and friends never see the drugs, far easier to keep safe.

I digress. Glad you are finally free from the hospital. Try using a rope or yoga strap to lift your log leg onto the bed. Also momentum helps, sort of a backward roll with both legs, then Palm your way up to comfortable spot. And yes, cool showers! I nearly passed out after my first hit one too. Not sure why they don't warn of that.

You've had a crummy start for sure. My turning point was week three but that was after a setback of about a week. So maybe 2 weeks is the magic number for less drugs and life somewhat do-able. As for the wife that likes things perfectly clean, well as long as she's willing to follow around behind you picking up he **** you drop... Hahahah. Just thank her and ask for help. My husband gets more mad when I try to do something and make a big mess...... Example... Dropped all of the delicious kabobs, just grilled, onto the floor right next to the dirty trash can trying to carry the plate and push a walker. Don't mess with a mans grilled meat! Good luck!!!


.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
One week today was when I had the surgery for Lateral, Right, Total Hip Replacement..
Made it home yesterday and to tell you the truth it was a bit daunting. I got over it with a little cry again!!!
All is going well with the new hip.. Just doing light walks every 2 hours around the house. I have not done any of the physio exercises as constipation has been very uncomfortable .. I took Movicol 3 x sachets and it took until tonight for the bowels to be moving again. Wow what a relief.. Never had this before, now I can relate to wifey when she complains and offer her more compassion.
I have been up to date with meds and have had no real pain like I was experiencing in hospital, don't know if I should start cutting down on taking oxycoden. I'm talking 1 x 5mg tablet every 4 hours.
Walking around with the crutches. Still cannot lift the leg?
Going back to the surgeon on the 15th July for a check up.
Oh and been doing a couple of hours of work.. Emails and stuff..
My head is still a bit cloudy and not very good at remembering stuff.. Even more so hope all the other hipsters are recovering well

Supsurfer1974
LTHR 2nd July
 
I wouldn't recommend cutting down on meds yet. You just got home, you'll be walking more, doing more, and hurting more if you cut back so soon. Take to laxatives preventively, don't assume the pipes are working after one success.... Take the meds daily to keep that moving along. You've definitely got the post op blues.
I have so many questions for you about surfing and paddle boarding! I love water too!
I'll start small.... Where do you go in the water most often? Country, state, beach, wave size and type? Wetsuit or warm water? Envision yourself on your paddle board with no pain..... Ahhhhhhh.... Sounds fantastic!


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
@Tweefishy thank you for your reply. Your exactly right and should of thought the same. I will keep taking the oxy regularly just in case and definitely movicol to keep the pipes clean.. Makes a big difference in how you feel if your bowels are not working regularly...Wow never experienced that before either!! Haha

How can you tell if you have the post op blues? Is there classic signs? I feel really good now especially when the bowels work!! I don't have any more worrying thoughts any more..

We live in West Australia in a lovely city called Perth. I live about 5 minute drive from the coast. Lots of really cool places to surf and go for a paddle. My wife and daughter love going for a paddle as well. Even the dog loves it!! The wife has has created a Google+ account dedicated to our Golden Retriever. Take a look under Beaumont Boofy and you will see him and some locations on where we go for a paddle..
It is winter now water temp is around 19 C. I am looking forward to recovering from this operation so I can get back on the water again in time for summer which is around December the only thing is that all the swell is in winter and surf disappears in summer.. That's another reason I took up stand up paddle boarding.. You can catch tiny waves and still have fun..It's also a lot better on the hip as well.. Take care my fellow Hippy

Supsurfer1974

LRTHR 2nd July 2015
 
You sounded super down a few days ago but you definitely sound better now at home. Post op blues for me meant super frustration, random crying, hopelessness. Example: dropped lunch on the floor after making it, took at least 20 min and hurt like hell as this was early on, and the food falling face down (not even 5 second rule could help) and broke the plate, I had a full scale meltdown! Crying, some choice 4 letter words, and just being so mad and frustrated while hurting. Having a week or two of days like that = post op blues. There's articles about it on the resource page. You'll know.

We live closest to Santa Cruz and San Francisco beaches. Good ol' Mavericks right in the middle. Cold water all yr long. One of my goals is learning how to long board and i e even had pics Adeline my office and house to encourage me to heal, but I'm kinda worried about being a beginner with a ceramic titanium hip. I know I'm going to take falls, a lot of them, is it totally crazy to start surfing on a new hip?


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Hi @Tweefishy
Sorry jumping in on @supsurfer1974 's thread. I have a ceramic titanium hip like you. When I had a significant fall, splat on the floor from two stairs, twisted body, broken bones and ligaments, my hip was strong and perfect. This gives me such confidence in the material and the design. My view would be to wait til 6 months have gone by check your hip on other things first e.g. swimming and then go for it - subject to what your surgeon says.

Hi @supsurfer1974 sounds like you are doing well at home in the beautiful surrounding of perth.
 
14 days post op and feeling good. Went to my first Post op appointment with surgeon and he said X-ray looks good and I'm healing well. He has me on the standard weight bearing restrictions and said I really shouldn't go back to work for at least 12 weeks.. I will see him again on the 12th August and he will follow up then. I'm off the oxycoden and don't need to take it anymore. Walking around the house heaps, but feel I have no energy to do stuff.. I should be doing some work that I can do from home on the laptop but just cannot be bothered. Still cannot bend the leg and don't know when I should book in with physiotherapy as I don't want to push it to much and reading all the stories on bonesmart a lot of people push it too soon.
The only drugs I'm taking now are Apixaban twice a day and celecoxib.. Hope all other hipsters are doing well


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Energy drain for THRs - it's real and you just can't fight it. This is sometimes the biggest road block in recovery. The good news is this will ease. Just give yourself plenty of time and schedule an active day followed by a rest day. Pretty soon the rest days shorten and disappear.
Still cannot bend the leg and don't know when I should book in with physiotherapy
How are you trying to bend the leg? At only 14 days out I wouldn't worry about any stiffness. This will also ease. You still have lots of angry soft tissues and muscles.
 
6 weeks post op with OS and he is happy to lift restrictions and he is happy with my X-rays. I don't need to see him for a year. I feel great!! I can put my sock on and tie up my shoe lace. I have a slight ache In my thigh, but feel so much better. I am still using one crutch though, as I have no strength in my operated leg. I have started seeing PT and he has given me a few strengthening exercises to perform. I try and walk with no crutches and have a bad limp and feel week, so I try and train my brain to use the glutes and lean more on my new hip using the one crutch. I didn't have any bad gait issues pre surgery, just the constant aches and couldn't tie up shoe lace.
There is no pain just weekness with the muscles. The PT massaged my scar and it killed me. He said to do this everyday with Sorbelene cream ( vitamin E cream)along with my exercises. Has anyone used Emu oil?
I have started back to work and doing a phased approach as recommended. I am averaging around 3000 steps a day according to Fitbit and feel I can push more but I know it's still early days.. Im looking forward to getting out on the ocean again but know it's still very early but will do PT and strengthen everything up. Thank you to all for your help and guidance I will post again later to hope everything is still on track..


Lateral RTHR 2nd July 2015
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you are doing just fine @supsurfer1974 ! Keep using a walking aid until that limp disappears. This sometimes takes awhile.
The PT massaged my scar and it killed me. He said to do this everyday with Sorbelene cream ( vitamin E cream)along with my exercises. Has anyone used Emu oil?
I am not sure why so many people are obsessed with massaging the scar. Scars heal very well on their own. In most cases all that remains is a thin line. Up to you of course, but I would not bother.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom