TKR 4 weeks postbop from tkr

I'm one of those people who needed my patella resurfaced, and a button placed behind it, during my first TKR in 2019. I just had my second TKR 7 weeks ago, and I didn't need any patellar resurfacing this time, so no need for the button. I'm hoping that means I can actually knee on this knee at some point, as I can't on the other one. It's amazing how each knee can be so different.
 
Hi annamb,
How are you doing? I hope the past couple weeks have been good for you.
It's a special day...Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a good week and a Happy Thanksgiving!
@annamb2
 
I just saw your message. Almost 3 months now. Still dealing with so much stiffness. Going down stairs very difficult. Will it get better?
 
Yes! Three months is only 25% into your one year recovery @annamb2

Stiffness especially after standing, sitting, sleeping is totally normal at three months. It will slowly resolve.

It's not at all unusual for our members to still have problems going stairs at 3 months.

First, your tendons and ligaments are just barely healed at 12 weeks, so they aren't fully providing the level of support to muscles and overall structure that they will soon enough.

Second... going downstairs is a remarkably complex anatomical and physiological feat!

It takes a certain amount of strength, flexion, and extension. Sometimes the flexion or extension we have developed for walking or sitting is still hampered a bit when we have to also flex or extend our hips (getting into car, or going down the stairs)

For each of several large muscles, there needs to be coordinated, efficient firing of nerve cells to each small bundle of fibers within the muscle - and that takes a while of healing, then them practicing to make it happen.

At the same time, as we shift our weight from one step to the next the body's proprioceptive system (that tells us where we are in space) has to be functioning well in coordination with those nerves and muscles.

Just as when we were very young and had to put all this together to learn going down stairs, when our bodies have repaired enough, the skill will return.
 
Still dealing with so much stiffness. Going down stairs very difficult. Will it get better?
You are not alone! WIth my first TKR, that stiffness lasted for many months -- although it did start to lessen around month 4. And I could not descend stairs "normally" until I was at 6 months post-op.

This is a recovery that tries the patience. But you will get better, just give it more time.
 
Stiffness was the last thing I complained about. Even after a really busy day at six months out, I'd swell and get stiff.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you feel reassured through the responses you received above. Many members find stiffness and stairs challenging for several months. With time and patience, you'll get there. Remember that it's a marathon, not a sprint. Stay focused and positive and know that there's still healing to come!
Best Wishes for a complete return to 'normal" in the New year! :)
@annamb2
 
I'm still dealing with pain and stiffness at 4 mo post op. Looking at my xray, looks like an overhang on the femur. Surgeon says no concerns, but I'm not so sure.
Can someone give me their expert opinion on whether this is a concern. Thank you!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] 4 weeks postbop from tkr
    Screenshot_20250115_181301_Gallery.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 46
I will send your xrays to the staff forum to see what they say.
 
Hi annamb2,
I am sorry you're still struggling with pain and stiffness. We certainly want to help / support you, but interpreting xrays is something only trained professionals like your OS can accurately do. It's encouraging that your OS feels all appears as normal and I'm sorry if you're doubting that. How about requesting a radiology report or asking your surgeon to go over the report with you explaining the findings?
I do hope over the next several month of recovery you notice great improvement. Best Wishes!
@annamb2
 
I agree with Layla that your concerns need to be addressed with your surgeon. I can see why you might be concerned about the apparent space you see in the area I've circled in red. Is this what is worrying you? Have your surgeon explain what you're seeing on the x-ray and why it might appear odd to you.

[Bonesmart.org] 4 weeks postbop from tkr

The reality of knee replacements is that it is very possible to have some pain in the soft tissues for many months after surgery. Stiffness can be present for up to a year or more. Each of us heals differently and experiencing these things just 4 months out is well within the normal range. After all, full recovery can take a year. Be sure you're not trying to push yourself back to normal functioning too soon. You may want to try reducing your level of activity and exercise for a few weeks to see if that makes a difference. Also don't hesitate to ice your knee frequently when you have pain or stiffness.
 
Thank you for your reply. Yes the area you have circled is my concern. Surgeon says it is fine and secure. Hopefully in time pain and stiffness will get better.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom